Your best purchase of 2022

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sparx94, Dec 27, 2022.

1. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton Chief Justice Fruitloop

I've been guilty of ham-handling the salt-shaker in my last few Hasbro posts. And I feel bad, because I still remember them as a quality toy company and want to support the brand. At the same time, I feel compelled to be honest.

So. Figures that I wound up keeping:

*Kingdom Waspinator. While this figure is by no means spectacular, he was a nice little update on a previous design, and the colours are the most in-line with the animation we've seen. He looks great, fits mostly in scale, and is all around fun to mash into group shots. He's also the only Beast Wars Waspinator I've found first-hand, and therefore the only one not, er... down a few parts to Rattrap's scrap collection.

...Seriously. I have the wings from S1 Waspinator, a gun from an unknown Waspinator, and the last Waspinator we got (Was that Generations / Thrilling 30?), sans gun and wings. No, they are not compatible.

*Legacy Inferno. Technically purchased this year, but it was so close that I'd like to count him and give Hasbro some credit. He's a terrific update to the original. Granted I can't get the jaw on mine to move, the hands are noticeably small and unimpressive, and I do wish they had designed the ant legs on his arms to sit more flush and unobtrusive like the first toy. But aside from not having as beautiful an internal abdomen or the press-button gimmick, I'd say he retains all of S1's charm, with the aesthetic of the cartoon, plus a beautiful beast mode. He's packed with articulation! He's sturdier than many, despite the noticeably cheaper plastic. He doesn't have half-missing thighs! And no fist hands / missing wrist articulation! I'm delighted. Easily thirty dollars well spent- I'd recommend him to any BW fan in a heartbeat, and really, anyone who likes a nice, posable Transformer with personality. So good.

*Kingdom Rattrap.
    Initially I was bummed that he ended up being more Legends scale, and thought he could stand to be taller and fully articulated. But this is easily the best-looking S1 Rattrap we've gotten. Everything about him is faithful, and for what he is, he's a fun, durable little bot who's easy to stash away in your pocket. The man himself would approve.

Only one 3P figure this year, and I haven't had the chance to handle him much, but I can already say that Deformation Space Crimson Wings is a keeper. Unless I run into some serious issue, he's going to be the definitive Starscream for me. So much quality in one package. I cannot believe how excellent he is in hand; it's like holding an animation cell made manifest. And you can play with him.

2. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Legacy Galvatron, Velocitron Hauler, Netflix Bumblebee, Buzzworthy Bluestreak, and Kingdom Blaster were at the top of my list.

3. Odysseyuwrf

Odysseyuwrf Well-Known Member

Jinbao OS Devastator, hands down.

4. Hobart Paving

Hobart Paving I would prefer not to.

As I posted in another thread, Hasbro-wise:

[​IMG]

If I was doing a best of 2022... Hmm.

I didn't get that much* new stuff last year, to be honest, but just taking Hasbro stuff ('cause I've no real idea what Iron Factory released when)...

I love Victory Saber - because he's Star Saber - and am very glad I have him, but he isn't worth the money. At all. Inferno (Beast Wars) and Jhiaxus both look great, and pose great, but they don't feel great. There's something about their plastics my hands don't like, particularly Jhiaxus (I also think a less bright white plastic on Jhiaxus would prevent all the detail washing out). It was nice to get a Skids, but he's not great. Well, Skids is great, but the new toy isn't - for all that I'm fond of it. Core Sludge is utter rubbish, but he's Sludge so I love him (and maybe he'll combine well). And I liked Clampdown, and it was nice to have the Earthrise Lambor mould for the first time, but he's not really 2022. So:

5) Legacy Core class Iguanus. Fantastic reinterpretation of the character - this is a much better way to do the Pretenders than replicating the original rubbish - with a great sculpt. Alt mode is nonsense, but whatever. He looks great. Would be higher on the list if he hadn't been saddled with a piece of that rubbish sword - that can't even be held properly by the toys unless you cut pegs off - instead of a weapon (see also Core Skywarp), meaning I had to buy some 3D printed guns for him.

4) Legacy Voyager class Nitro Convoy (aka Override). Much better than the original toy, but still flawed. Doesn't quite have the angular feel of the character in car mode, but this means there's no real compromises in robot mode. Apart from the paint - definitely needs a bit more decoration to be truly wonderful, and the QC on my paint job wasn't brilliant - several splashes of red had to be carefully scraped off with a knife (including over half the face). But I love him to bits. He's Nitro Convoy, he feels nice and solid and chunky, he rolls well (pinned wheels! Pinned transparent wheels! That's why he's a Voyager), and he's Nitro Convoy. More Galaxy Force please!

3) Legacy Core class Generation 2 Megatron. I like the Core Megatron mould more than most, but I can take or leave the G2 deco on this. But the plastic! Oh man, it just feels great to hold! I can't remember the last time I'd pick a figure up just because of the way it feels! Might be a bit weird, and an odd reason to put it in a faves-list, but the touch of this toy made it one of my favourite buys of the year.

2) Legacy Deluxe class Tarantulas. Looks great, really embodies the character, and is a Legacy toy that feels like a WFC one. You can tell he's an absolute piece of shit just by looking at him. The alt mode terrifies me. Love it.

1) Studio Series Core class Bumblebee Shockwave. Sensational figure. Hasbro's best Legends/Core class sculpt, no question. The H-tank is a bit rubbish, admittedly, but it's a Core so it's fine. He's just so, so, good. Who needs a Voyager version! Rest of the cast in Core, that's the ticket!

5. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Tarantulas (Perfection)
    - Blitzwing (Solid, Great Headsculpt)
    - Slicer (fun)
    - Override (Very Nice, Unexpected)

• Like Like x 1