Non-TF: YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO DYE [Mitchell Shephard]

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by JomasterII, May 19, 2021.

1. JomasterII

JomasterII The Space Consultant from Jolo

News Credits:
    I know this is probably gonna get glossed over but I've decided to post up this here anyway. :p 
    I recently picked up this beauty - the JoyToy Mould Colour Figure Kit A.
    [​IMG]
    It's pretty much a model kit that becomes a GI Joe scale soldier when fully assembled. Cheaper than a Marauder's figure for sure - plus it poses like a goddamn MANIAC. It's almost like a 10cm Figuarts, except the shoulders aren't butterfly joints and the elbows are only single jointed.
    IMG_20210517_145216_HDR.png
    I've also become kind of obsessed with absolute disasters - The Room, Limbo of the Lost and - more pertinently - Hunt Down the Freeman.
    So I was like "Eh, why not?" and gave the figure a dye bath to turn into Mitchell. For my first attempt at dyeing a figure, I think it went pretty well. Deffo using this technique on actual Transformers in the future.
    IMG_20210518_144522_HDR.png
    Here he is with a spare General Hux head as a placeholder while I wait for my Antonio Bandares head sculpt to arrive. I think I did alright on the camouflage paint job as well, even if it is a little subtle in points.
    ...unfortunately, after trying to pose this figure I noticed the leg on the left was a touch loose... urgh. Warped the damn thing during the dye process. After thickening the socket and ball to no avail, I pushed a bit too hard and ended up with...
    IMG_20210518_151823095.jpg
    FUCK.
    Sorry Mitch. I might not have fucked up your face but I certainly fucked up your groin.
    Fortunately, the people I bought the kit from were like "DW fam, we'll hook you up" and are sending out some replacement parts with another order of mine. Lockertoys will have my business 'till I die.

• Like Like x 10
  2. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    I have no idea what you’re talking about with the characters but the dye job and paint looks good plus that’s a GREAT customer service story.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JomasterII

News Credits:
    Mitchell is from a game called Hunt Down the Freeman. It's a total travesty of an experience - taking place between the first two games in the Half Life series. It's poorly written, poorly playing, poor looking, and absolutely hysterical at points. The main character (Mitchell) is best known for his incredible one liner at the end of the game - "You fucked up my face".
    And that's the crash course.
    If you have an hour to kill and are interested in video games then I'd suggest watching a video on the topic by TehSnakerer!

And yeah, it's great. The best kind of customer service is the sort that's able to get the parts you need when you need them. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  4. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    …and replace them even tho they’re broken, possibly your fault, and gladly hook you up regardless. I’ve had toys that came to me broken, or missing parts, and I get condescending attitudes and lazy responses from some popular online sites. I remember when I ordered a UW Devastator from ‘a certain chosen site’, and Long Haul came with 2 left arms. I quickly contacted the site, and they took awhile to even respond. Then they demanded more pix cuz they assumed I did something to it. Then they told me they may not get a part at all. Then they told me Takara needs to send a replacement part, and itll take a bit. Hardly any correspondence, & 4 months later, I got the proper part. In the meantime they had the figure in stock right off the bat, and could’ve easily done an exchange, but never offered one cuz they wouldn’t get $$ from a swap. Or they could’ve popped one open and sent me the arm, but again no $$. As I was dealing with it they sold out, and I was wondering with all the feet dragging if I missed the only shot with getting a proper arm. They didn’t care cuz they got my money. Soured me on them pretty good…

5. FredrickMcQuil

FredrickMcQuil Poor transformers fan

Really love the paint job he looks awesome! I just got into the 1/24 scale game too with the Number 57 Armored Puppet Oni Flame. He's a cool little ninja robot with optional armor parts

Attached Files:

6. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Nice job. I just dyed a Marvel legends Iron Monger to do a 1/12 scale Deep Six, and a problem I had was the dye leaking through the pain, forcing me to apply several layers of gray. Any advice to avoid this?

7. JomasterII

News Credits:
    Hm, I'm not sure - I've not got that problem yet.
    Man, that looks absolutely rad. Looks a little small for me, but still has a badass air about him. Gives me 30MM vibes!

• Like Like x 1
  8. jimsloth

jimsloth Well-Known Member

Have you tried bossfight's HACKs line? They are also the ones who sculpted the marauders figures. All 1:18 scale.

9. JomasterII

News Credits:
    They're pretty damn expensive for an Aussie like me. Moreso than Marauders, even.

10. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Excellent work!

• Like Like x 1
  11. jimsloth

jimsloth Well-Known Member

Sorry bout that. Here in the US the blanks cost about the same price. $16 for HACKs and Joytoys, $12 for a headless Marauder (I have tons of heads from other lines).

12. JomasterII

News Credits:
    LONG NEEDED UPDATE:
    Finally got the replacement parts in. Though I did have to end up using the thigh piece from the other mould colour figure I ordered... same with the T-bar since I snapped ANOTHER. They sent me a replacement pack of joints, but they were just as goddamn brittle. I despise how brittle the joints are. Honestly wasn't happy with the original torso having a blue collar and tac-vest over it, so I just split the difference and made the torso itself the tac-vest.
    The Antonio Banderas head sculpt should arrive soon, if I'm lucky - fingers crossed Auspost doesn't lose it like they lost the 50 GI Joe figure stands I ordered ages ago. >.>
    00004IMG_00004_BURST1622722055269.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. JomasterII

News Credits:
    upload_2021-6-7_13-32-40.png
    Head sculpt's arrived!
    I'm filling in Antonio's cheeks to make it look a little more like Mitch.

14. JomasterII

News Credits:
    IT'S DONE.
    HIS NAME IS MITCHELL HE IS AN ASSHOLE.png
    This was a total pain in the arse but I'm SO glad it's finished.
    I never wanna paint stubble again. :p 
    IMG_20210608_162414_HDR.png

• Like Like x 3