Minor/Repaint: YOTH Prime becomes cartoon Prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by DoodleBrandon, Jan 23, 2017.

1. DoodleBrandon

DoodleBrandon Well-Known Member

I haven't posted in the Radicons in so long! Over two years ago I painted up a YOTH Prime, going for a somewhat realistic look with lots of details (see it here! Minor/Repaint: - Custom YOTH). This time I went much simpler. I wanted him to be mostly cartoon accurate, but no white thighs for me. They're actually a little dark but I left them alone, I'm ok with them. But I wanted his arm arrows to be red and his leg vents to be blue so I left them alone. I painted his yellow pelvis pieces with a clear yellow so they'd be translucent, and for his arms and sides I just used a can of Rustoleum that seemed pretty close. It's a little dark but close enough for me. I went back and forth on how many details to paint, I didn't want to go overboard. On the trailer, I promise I'm not just copping out on not painting the blue lines. Almost all of the time he had one white stripe on the show so that's what I wanted to do. The silver of the trailer is a Krylon metallic silver and I'll tell you what, I'm not going to do that again. I went with a spray can for the dark red of his arms because I didn't want to mix paint to get the right shade, and I used a spray can on the trailer simply because there was so much surface area, I thought it would be cheaper and easier. But this silver is garbage, even a month later it still rubs off and doesn't look good when the light hits it right. As I'm going through these pictures I realized I didn't add any details to his gun so that'll have to happen soon. Anyway, I think that's everything, please enjoy the pictures!
    Yoth prime.jpg Yoth painted truck.jpg Yoth painted truck rear.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

Looks great man. The main figure looks exceptional.

3. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Excellent paint work!

4. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great work, but I must admit every time I see someone do something like this to YOTH Optimus I cry a bit inside. Sometimes I feel I'm the only one who Loved all his Gold goodness!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome. How'd you get the chrome so beautifully done?!?

6. DoodleBrandon

DoodleBrandon Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Haha, I know, he actually stood on my shelf for like a year and a half in his original state but I never got the original and I just needed an accurate Prime in my collection.

Thanks! The gold parts are actually chrome but with yellow painted on top. If you soak them in alcohol for something like an hour, shaking the cup every 15 minutes or so, the yellow eventually comes off leaving the beautiful chrome underneath. You have to be careful though, wiping or soaking too long will take off the chrome too. The first one I did I messed up the chrome quite a bit and ended up completely stripping and painting silver.

7. bman29

bman29 Dancitron

Ebay:
    I did a similar thing to my YOTH Prime. The Cadillac pimp gold had to go.

8. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

This looks great.

My only problem with the gold on YoTH Optimus is that I don't like designs that mix silver and gold tones. If they had replaced all of the silver tones with gold tones, I would probably have jumped at this figure. As it was, I would never have been happy with it.