YOTG MP Soundwave question????

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Blaspherian, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Blaspherian

Blaspherian Well-Known Member

Clear plastic is weaker on toys it seems.

Think the same would be true for a Year of a Billy Goat Soundwave?

Or Billy Goat Prime?

2. Rartorata

Rartorata Well-Known Member

Yeah, most likely.

Also, I'm gonna start calling them "Billy Goat" from now on.

3. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

The regular MP-13 already has some worrisome joints, so the clear bits aren't gonna help matters. If I do buy this, I doubt I'll ever transform him to alt mode.

4. Blaspherian

Blaspherian Well-Known Member

Dang, he looks so cool. The cassette tapes are clear to like they're supposed to be, looks great :) 

5. Grimlock4523

Grimlock4523 Me Grimlock, KING!!!

Is there a scientific reason why translucent plastic is weaker? Is it actually less dense?

6. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    IIRC it's because transparent plastic tends to be more rigid, thus less flex.

7. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member

I believe that it has more to do with opaque plastic being more forgiving and flexible while the clear plastic is inherently somewhat less flexible and brittle. The ingredients that add the durability to the plastic would cloud or otherwise render it not clear. You can have a durable clear, but it ends up more of a stiff clear rubber then rigid plastic, not really suitable for things like soundwave.

Chris

8. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I'm a bit late, but, I can elaborate a bit on it, too. It all depends on how it's manufactured and the quality of the material. In materials science, there's almost always a tradeoff between strength and flexibility- can't have one without giving up some of the other. So technically the more brittle plastics are "stronger," but they are less flexible, so they break easily when forces are applied just right. Think of it like shale rock or crushing an egg- much harder to do in one direction than it is in another direction. It has to do with stuff like slip planes and crystalline structure and a bunch of other stuff that's still barely in my head from my materials science course. If anything, I'd assume it's due to the makeup of the plastic, and in many, many clear plastics, you typically see a sparkle added in- this creates more opportunity for the plastic to break apart as it separates the molecules of the clear in order to make room for the sparkles. That's also why sparkly plastics suck pretty often, too.

I can foresee many, many YOTG Soundwaves with broken leg kibble and hips and shoulders a couple years down the road.

9. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this should've been soundblaster with ratbat rather than some insignificant repaint that only a couple people want.. and for those who missed out on the original soundwave this is no where near as good a consolation as YOTH prime was. this is so unnecessary.

anyways.. i assume mold degradation would come into play as well.. it seems like most figures that are reproduced with a different paint/color scheme are a bit weaker and a bit more floppy than the original (there are also cases of repaints that seem better built than the original too).. the seekers are a good example that comes to mind, at least in my experience. so.. yeah, i'd be worried about the clear plastic, not solely because it's clear plastic, but because it's hasbro, it's got clear plastic, and this mold has been used before.

10. Grimlock4523

Grimlock4523 Me Grimlock, KING!!!

Interesting comments. I have MP-3G Ghostscream and he is pretty rock solid. Never felt like it was going to break. I was pretty rough with it too the first couple times I transformed him.

11. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:

Some of the worrisome joints on my MP13 were noticeably less worrisome on my MP13B. Maybe it's just a coincidence, maybe the mold was retooled a little...

12. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

Could be anecdotal. I found the leg panels on my Soundblaster to be tighter and more worrisome than all the previous releases of the mold. As for the thigh joints....I was never worried about those anyway. They seem to be much more solid than they look. I have yet to hear about anybody's legs breaking off.