Minor/Repaint: Yolopark AMK ROTB Scourge Custom Paintjob

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ottertron, May 8, 2024.

1. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

News Credits:
    I think we can all agree that Scourge looked VERY cool in Rise Of The Beasts, but, you may also agree, it's a bit frustrating that we've yet to get an accurate looking toy version.

As far as his general build and bodyshape go, the Yolopark AMK figure is obviously the closest thing we've had so far, but the paintwork isn't even close to right.

Working off screencaps of a CG character is tricky but I think I've found enough references to be able to approximate a more accurate paintjob for the figure.

It's mostly a matter of drybrushing and weathering, for which I'm using Tamiya Flat Aluminium and Vallejo weathering paints at the moment, but I've also added the Dino's Model Shop upgrade set that features a new chest cage, head and gun port - all featuring LEDs - along with a new unmasked face (which I probably won't use), new rib parts and new calf parts.

I've only just started working on this guy, but here's my progress so far -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm only working on his top half right now as I've decided to get a set of the Ratchets Operating Studio leg heightening parts to help fix his somewhat 'gorilla-ish' build. They don't add a lot of height, but it's just enough to subtly improve him, I think.

There's a couple more 3D-printed parts I want to add - a left hand, a support that helps stabilise his cannon internally and possibly I may switch out the chest cage again as the LED is a bit feeble to my eyes and I really want that glowing red lava-like look to his chest and upper torso.

Right now this is a work in progress, but I'm doing a little most days so I'll post an update shortly.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Ottertron

News Credits:
    Here's the primary visual references I'm using -

These give you an idea of what parts will need the most weathering,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the only rear views I've been able to find,

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is the clearest full-length shot I can find,

[​IMG]

...and this one I've been using as a general colour-guide, since he's in clear daylight -

[​IMG]

Gives you an idea of exactly how inaccurate the SS figure is too :S

• Like Like x 8
  3. DeathsTreads77

DeathsTreads77 Hot sauce addict

Wow, already looking good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zoo

Zoo Yuh Mein

Ebay:
    Lol the asscam reference pic. Custom is looking good!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ottertron

News Credits:
    Thanks folks - it's good to have a clear reference to help me paint his taint :S

• Like Like x 2
  6. SirShaaaa Ronan

SirShaaaa Ronan Well-Known Member

Looks amazing

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ottertron

News Credits:
    @Napalm located a few more ref pics for me and I've come to realise that I'm missing some more paints that would be very useful for the darker and more matte areas on his back and head. I'll need to get some more Vallejo weathering and effect paint ASAP!

• Like Like x 2
  8. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Looking good so far!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ottertron

News Credits:
    Been working on his legs for the last two days and done a bit more on his chest.I also sat watching ROTB with my finger on the pause button to try to get a better look at the parts I can't source decent images of - mostly his legs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The LED in his chest definitely doesn't flood his chest cavity with light like I want it to, so I'm wondering if I enlarge the holes in his upper torso that may help. I'd split the chest cage in two and trim the small part in the middle down to expose more of the LED if I could BUT it holds the two halves together so that may prove too tricky to try. I'll figure something out, I'm sure.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  10. Ottertron

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Here's where I'm at right now.

Still need to add the caps on top of his hips (I'll probably wait til I have the leg lengthening parts to do that) sort out the chain on his chest cage and fix the magnets that attach his skullcap to his head as they seem to be misaligned and one of them needs gluing into place.

[​IMG]

I'll do more touchups when I get more weathering paint as I want to add some different types of oxidisation and corrosion and add some flat black carbon/soot effects to his smokestacks and chest.

[​IMG]

I cut a slightly larger hole in his lower chest behind the LED hoping it would allow the light to spread further but, as you can see, it's still not enough - even in the dark!

[​IMG]

I need to try to find a more powerful LED but I have no idea where to look. I'll see what else is available in other TF upgrade kits and see if I can adapt one from, say, Shockwave Labs or someone.

In the meantime I'm working on his cannon, claw and sword.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Ottertron

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

I think he's about done for now - until I can get more paint and pigment for weathering and more alternate parts. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can get those all sorted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See what I mean about the chest light? :/

• Like Like x 7
  12. King444Dino

King444Dino Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    Beautiful

• Like Like x 1
  13. simified

simified Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I cannot see any photos. o_O 

14. Ottertron

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Got this Green Stuff World liquid pigments set for weathering - SUPER fast delivery from Element Games - and it's really helped me finish off Scourge. I specifically wanted the Soot pigment so I could paint his chest, biceps and smokestacks flat back to give that 'carbonised' look and it has worked a treat.

Paints are now pretty much done and I'm now just waiting on some upgrades to finish him off - ROS heightening parts for his legs, a left hand and an alternate clear yellow arm blade, to simulate it being powered up. Next time I order some upgrade kits I'll get the longer arm cannon - from the scene where he shoots Airrazor - and the cannon filler that allows it to be used at the same time as the claw hand. Hopefully someone will do a clear orange alternate claw too.

So, here he is right now, very nearly finished -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A clearer look at his top half -

[​IMG]

...and his lower half -

[​IMG]

A better look at the blade -

[​IMG]

"Oooooooooh, The Claaaaaaw!"

[​IMG]

It's a shame they had to pull a Hasbro and cheap out on the inside of the claw as it kinda spoils it, if you ask me.

Whilst I was waiting for him to dry I did a bit more work on the YP Primal I worked on a while back, so here's a couple of shots of the two of them together -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Primal REALLY needs his movie-correct foot covers and I'm very much hoping they can include them with Mirage or Arcee.

I've got YP Prime queued up to tackle next and Rhinox on order. I also basecoated one of my SS ROTB Scorponoks in preparation for a closer to screen-accurate paintjob today too, so I'm going to be occupied with ROTB repaints for a while yet :D 

PRAYING for Battletrap - he's a hefty, bruiser of a lad and I really want to do him justice - and very much hoping they do beast mode figures too!

• Like Like x 6
  15. DeathsTreads77

DeathsTreads77 Hot sauce addict

Masterpiece.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ottertron

News Credits:
    Thanks!!

I'm using IMGBB, possibly it's an issue with whatever browser you're using? I use Firefox on a PC/Laptop.

Thank you kindly. It's getting there!

• Like Like x 1
  17. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    I can't believe I didn't see this, amazing work

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ottertron

News Credits:
    Thanks as ever Weegee!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ottertron

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Scourge upgrades arrived from eBay - ignore the Dai Atlas swords - so he’s nearly done!

Leg/hip extenders, a left hand, an arm blade with a clear orange blade and a warp-key maguffin that I won’t need.

I’ll paint these tonight while I’m working on Rhinox :D 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ottertron

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Upgrades painted and added to Scourge!

Here's the clear orange blade all painted up...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...here's the left hand painted and installed - all of the joints feel VERY loose and I suspect it's a bit fragile, so I'll be adding some Future to the joints tomorrow and handling it with general care :S

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shame it's not accurate - the arms of the claw/cannon should be folded back along the forearm but there's been nothing produced for YP Scourge to allow that yet, although there is one for SS Scourge.

You can see the leg lengthening parts there, painted brown and just below the thigh peg - It raises the top of the leg slightly, which is why extenders are needed to raise the fender parts at the top of the legs. They're not really visible. The fit wasn't great tbh, so I needed to sand the slot for the tab at the top of the leg down and still managed to snap one trying to get it to fit. I glued the broken tab back on and it seems to be on securely now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Annoyingly I have now lost the cover for the battery compartment on the top of the Dino's Model Shop head. One of the cats knocked him over and it fell off - it wasn't well secured tbh as the magnets that hold it closed are misaligned and I haven't been able to fix it. It must be around somewhere but I just can't find it. It's always the way isn't it?

• Like Like x 2