Yellowing problems this might help..

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Skywarp181, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    That could be good for customizing. The biggest problem with dye is that you need light colored plastic. This could open up some possibilities...

2. Chevytron951

Chevytron951 Well-Known Member

haven't read thru this entire thread but does anybody know the best method to remove the yellowing on Generations 2010 drift. and will that method ruin the paint?

3. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Peroxide may or may not make the yellow come back in the worst way, and if you keep the parts in too long it will incrementally dull and remove paint.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chevytron951

Chevytron951 Well-Known Member

I see, so what percentage of peroxide should I get and how long do I keep the parts in the solution for?

5. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just completed this on the white legs of a Canadian slag I picked up on ebay. I had tried a test about 2 years ago but done nothing with a figure I cared about. This time, I did several tests first. What I landed on was for a moderately yellowed piece it took 8 hours (stirring or mixing up every 30 - 60 minutes).

I used 12% H2O2
    I live in WI and it's the least sun of the year right now. I used a halogen shop light at close range to a canning type jar I used as container (about 3 inches away). This will now allow me to do this in a very controlled way any time of the year with no sun. Google "yellow halogen shop light" it's this standard type, 500W I believe.

As others have seen I'm nervous on the possible return of yellowing but I can always repeat this easily now

6. mweeuser

News Credits:
    6 Months now and not one side of yellowing on my Canadian slag. So far so good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Spiff-O-Matic

Spiff-O-Matic I can haz catch-phrase?

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I have just started restoring a G1 Jetfire and G1 Red Alert. I've started with the hood piece from Red Alert and the head from Jetfire. I used just 3% Hydrogen Peroxide in a jar with the lid on, and I left out in the summer sun yesterday for about 8-10 hours. Here are my initial results. I can't tell for sure if the red paint is a bit faded, or if my camera didn't balance the brightness the same between shots (since they were taken in the morning and evening, respectively).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I find the problem Spiff is that while impressive, the part turns a mustard yellow in about 6 months.

9. mweeuser

News Credits:
    I think it is worth some people trying this. I maybe back here in a month, 6, a year saying the same thing regarding the yellow returning even worse but I'm on 7 months of a Canadian slag and some jazz parts and no changes, still the same white. The toys see limited indirect sun in they case since the whitening. I used 12% peroxide from amazon and a halogen shop light inside to do my whitening. Maybe it can depend on the plastic, how potent the h2o2 is, the light source, no idea but I'm still going to monitor and try some more eventually.

10. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm about to break down and try this on my G1 Jetfire who is already the worst shade of yellow I think it can get (can't be any worse, right?)...

[​IMG]

I am curious if anyone has tried this out with other faded colors (blue turning a dark green for example) with any success? I wonder if in those cases there is a "go too far" and end up bleaching it beyond the original blue... hmmmm

11. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    I've used the peroxide on several colors of plastic which showed yellowing. It still works perfectly, because you are not actually 'bleaching' the plastic, but are rather removing the agent in the plastic causing the yellowing.
    And in my opinion, if you've already got a color damaged figure, it really can't hurt to at least attempt a recovery... Even if it might only be temporary...

12. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Turbine, what is the date stamp on your Jetfire?
    I have a Canadian 1984 Jetfire and its yellowing. This was my original childhood toy so it was out in the sun a lot and may be the reason its yellow.
    BUT....
    I have a Canadian 1985 bone white Jetfire. Looks great.
    I assume it was kept in a box, still part of me reasons the plastic may be different. Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can look when I get home...

I've always been "aware" of yellowing on toys and have always made the effort to block any windows, etc.

Several of my G1 collection have yellowed or "greened" overtime. Also, I had them all in dark, AC storage for a while and a few came out of that newly discolored... so I'm sure its a lot of factors, not just sun light

I try to let the discoloration be a "charm factor" of collecting vintage, otherwise I'll want to go crazy and replace everything. I think I'll try out Jetfire and Pointblank (very green) in the next few weeks and see how they go. Might as well get new reprolabels ready too :) 

14. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I've "whitened" a few toys. Some of them have stayed white (or close to it); Others have yellowed again (not nearly as bad as they were originally). I read somewhere (maybe on this site) that if you do the whitening trick enough times that it will eventually stay white, something about a chemical used in the plastic all those years ago is what's yellowing them. Haha. I read those posts in this thread.

I have three G1 Jetfires. Two have stayed white after treatment. One yellowed again. The one that yellowed is an older one with the Bandai stamp on it. The other two aren't. I'm currently whitening the Bandai Jetfire again. After a day of treatment, I took a figure that was mustard yellow and changed into a light eggshell color.

Oh, and I've experimented with different whitening agents. The 3 percent takes the longest but seems to fade the paint the least. The 30% and higher mixtures will whiten the toy much faster, but I think they fade the paint apps the quickest.

Oh, and yea, you can fix the yellowing on any color of transformer, it just takes time and patience. The only figures I would suggest not doing it to are the pretenders and powermasters, for some reason they tend to get faded 'white' spots in the plastic.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  15. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    The Jetfire I'm working on was similar in yellowing to this one. It's already significantly better than what it was this morning. @Turbine027 give the whitening a go. Send me a PM and I will help you with your project. I have some tips and tricks I've learned through trial and error. Good luck!

16. combinerlover

combinerlover ToiletTroop/ShedHead fan boy

I can`t find any before and after results pics ?

17. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I'm currently working on a junker. I have a few before and after pictures, but I want to complete the process first (it's been too cloudy lately).

• Like Like x 1
  18. combinerlover

combinerlover ToiletTroop/ShedHead fan boy

Right on , Ty .

19. TFADDICTIONS

TFADDICTIONS Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Has anyone had success with restoring colored pieces using any whitening process? I have never used the peroxide process, I have only used pure white creme developer to whiten my figures. I have had success on white pieces and once with a G1 Kup. I have also had a few mishaps such as, the developer clouding the red pieces on G1 Star sabers arms, as well as the gray parts on g1 fort max. Any help would be appreciated.

20. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    I work for a company that cleans up mold in and under houses. We use a peroxide based chemical to do it. It's very strong, and works great for Transformers that have turned yellow. I used it on a reissue Jazz that had yellowed for some reason, now he is pure white. In fact, my original Slugslinger (original meaning I got it when it came out...long ago.) and he had yellowed and I soaked all of those parts and he is back to normal too. It will remove chrome, and of course, stickers...but I love it. You just gotta have patience.
    Another thing, I found some yellowed white Lego's, not they are back to white too....that was a test.
    I have done quite a few things now, and they all stay white, or whatever color they were originally.
    Jetfire's chest is next.