Year of the Dragon Ultimate Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by hulk23869, Nov 26, 2012.

1. hulk23869

hulk23869 Well-Known Member

I'm a moderate collector. I mostly collect stuff from the Beasts era, but I'm looking at the Year of the Dragon Ultimate Optimus Prime right now. It's going to be a huge toy and I am not planning on opening it up. I have a pretty small house so space is an issue with my collection. If I buy this toy, will the value go up within a couple years? Does anyone know how many of these "year of the dragon" primes were created in total? I read that it is a limited edition, so perhaps they are in small stock?

2. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Toys make bad investments, FYI.

Especially ones that use poor molds like YotD Optimus Prime.

Just because it's limited edition doesn't make it rare -- there are a good number of Botcon and TFCC figures that are worth less than what they cost at the time.

The only surefire way of a figure going up in value is when a third party makes an upgrade for it and it's an awesome upgrade. But still, who can tell which figures will get upgrades?

3. hulk23869

hulk23869 Well-Known Member

Okay, maybe not worth buying then. Thank you! :) 

4. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Buy it only if you like it. Would you believe it is shelfwarming in China (Beijing and Chongqing)?

5. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Looks better than the original release.

6. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    I got one for about $37 shipped but only because my son was born in the year of the dragon

7. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    If you in this hobby as an investment, quit now. :lol 

8. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's relatively easy to find here in Taiwan as well. I have to admit, it looks amazing with that deco, but at the end of the day it's still a pretty crap toy.

9. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I don't do it, but if you have the money, why not? They always say invest in what you know, and most of us have a pretty good knowledge of toys. Sure there is risk in it, but there is a risk in anything you invest in. I would say that most people on these boards have a better knowledge of what toys have the potential to go up in value over time than they do of stocks that will go up.

As far as YOTD Prime, for me, the original looks pretty bad (own the SDCC version), and the YOTD version looks even worse. The color scheme is not appealing to me at all especially after seeing it in person. Only ways I would really consider it is if I bought it for the reason Jinx did, or if I was a movie completionist.

10. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I'd like to know which FP figures you say are worth less than cost. Not because I want to invest but because I like having toys from the comics.

11. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Toys generally aren't good investments,but they can be a good savings plan, in the sense that you generally won't lose a ton of money. Whereas a stock could plummet or a bank fail, the price of gold drop, toys seem to generally maintain their value. Expecting to MAKE money is often a crapshoot. Hell, all but the huge retail toy chains have a tough time turning black when they pay cost below msrp. But if you want to put your money somewhere that you can enjoy and one day recover (with some effort), toys aren't a horrible idea. That's how I think of it anyways.

All that said, I'd still put my money in a mutual fund or gold or just under the bed before toys. I just like that I can enjoy stuff and it not be completely monetarily fleeting, like a vacation or a meal or whatever.

12. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    If I had the cash, sure I'd buy the YOTD Prime. (that's my year) :( 

I'd buy it for sentiment. However, after watching this:

http://youtu.be/sK8drBlMJ6k

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much RED. Now that I've seen the video, I've changed my mind. I much more prefer my SDCC version to this craptacular red EYE SORE.

13. Salty

Salty Fritobot

Year of the Dragon is my year and I haven't bought one of these...yet.

But here's one scenario that could possibly turn the YOTD Optimus into a valuable collectors item that has greatly increased in value:

Hasbro decides to make a 'Year of the Snake' Optimus for 2013. By some fluke this one blows up, production is double that of the 'Dragon' issue and completely sells out. 2014 brings a 'Horse' model which then outstrips even the Snake model in production and sales. And so on.

This sheds a whole new light on the now 'rare' Dragon model...which everyone needs in their collection of the full twelve Optimi of the Chinese Zodiac.

It could happen :rolleyes2 

14. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scored this guy for $29.99 on Amazon today :)  I'm torn between keeping it sealed or opening it up.

15. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    :jawdropper:  WHA-AAAA?!?

16. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    It was a lightning deal, I missed it. Pretty bummed. I would have jumped on it for that price.

17. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was one of the lightning deals today.

18. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    I always miss those types of deals lol

but the normal price it's at isn't that bad either. :)  it's less than $60.00

19. grymg

grymg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    can I get email or twitter updates on Amazon lightning deals? Or is it just roll of the dice when you check the website?

20. DarkSkyfire

DarkSkyfire Well-Known Member

:puke: 
    Did not know there was a SDCC version of UOP...how does that compare to the (non year of the dragon) retail issue? As for an investment, it's sometimes hard to tell what people will consider valuable way down the line. I don't think YOTD UOP will be a good investment, but if you want it as a toy or to keep in box on your shelf, $30 is a good deal. If it ever sells out everywhere (and that's a big if!!!), I'm sure you'll be able to sell it for at least $30. Generally, you need two things for it to be a good investment, rarity, and a great figure, and this has neither. Amazon still has these in stock, I can't imagine they will want to be holding on to these after Jan. 1st. Definitely look for this on a repeat Lightning deal, possibly for even less than this time.

Mechtech leader Bumblebee on lightning deal tonight at 10:00 EST...:puke: