Yay or Nay on $100 Devastator figure

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Stevejr, Feb 15, 2009.

?

Do you like the figure?

1. Hell yes, it's the bomb

67 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Hell no, it needs to be bombed

387 vote(s)
    85.2%
  1. gonzo23

gonzo23 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I voted yay because I dont think this is the only version! I think theres gonna be a version that will transform otherwise it defeats the purpose of calling it a tf!

2. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    The difference is that Magmatron was meant to be that way. He didn't have that third/individual bot mode thing going for the individual dinos. Devy is supposed to have all three modes. Combine that with the ultra high price and what you have here is ultimate failure and fanboy letdown.

I don't say this very often but: Hasbro, man you really fucked this one. I'll be getting the individual toys but this "combiner" stay on it's store shelf.

3. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Huge pass on that Devastator for me.

4. evebird

evebird Waiting for Omega

I won't buy it for $100, and I wouldn't even buy for $50. Seriously, I haven't seen anything that ass-ugly since Energon Optimus Prime. Really lazy engineering. Major fail.

Sorry, Hasbro has put out some amazingly cool Transformers toys in the past 25 years.

This is not one of them.

5. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

That thing is the sound of the entire Supreme class committing seppuku. Which, if Hasbro hates that size so much, may also be "mission accomplished".

-XCN-

6. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Again, read before you post. I was ONLY discussing:

A-the fact that some members claim the TOY doesn't transform AT ALL, which is clearly not the case.

and

B-that a robot TOY made of components that don't have an individual robot mode can't be considered a real Transformer when there are several examples (Omega Supreme, Duocons, Magmatron, etc.) out there.

What you're discussing here (movie vs toy) is an entirely different issue.

7. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

It looks ******ed, and thus, whether it transforms or not is irrelevant. I wouldn't pay $5 for it.

8. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Until this weekend that report was just a rumor. Now that it has been confirmed everyone can express their disapointment to the reality of the situation.

9. asderiphel

asderiphel Severian's Understudy

Good post. I agree with everything except the 'fanbase will just get ignored' point.

This figure will hit retail, won't get pulled, and will probably sell. Initially. I still question how many kids are going to be happy with a giant TF for Christmas that can only sit in either wobbly monster form or playskool truck form. If one of those four kids buys it, hates it, and tells his friends at school not to buy it, one of the remaining 3 probably won't.

And that's the essence of word-of-mouth advertising, which is what these forums accomplish in spades. How many people on this board have purchased figs they would have passed up solely on the recommendation of other members? I have.

I wish I had numbers for what percentage of sales attributed to 'kids' and sales attributed to 'collectors'...I know it would be skewed heavily towards the kids, but even 10:1 means collectors are (theoretically) a 10% revenue stream. And a 10% loss, especially now, hurts now matter how big a company you are.

I hope that all the moaning and groaning makes someone at Hasbro reconsider the viability of a Constructicon set that combines, even if it's a late 2010 release. No 3rd TF movie till at least 2012, Animated is canceled, Universe is on hiatus...reworking some movie designs to meet customer demand seems like a good idea. Especially when it can make your entire customer base happy.

Hasbro, get on that. I'll wait. For goodness sake, I waited 25 years for a frakking Ironhide that looked like Ironhide.

10. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think too many of the people who are arguing for this toy are doing so as if they are themselves being bullied. That's not the case here. If you actually like it, good for you. But please bare in mind the rest of us that don't are not hating on you for it, we are just disapointed in the loss of what could have been the greatest combiner toy ever.

It doesn't really matter if you like the Bay designs or not, if the toy had pulled off the leaked movie CGI sketch, it would have been touted as one of the best TF's ever just for pulling the design off.

When compaired to toys like the upcoming MP Grimlock or RID's Railracer, (to use a combiner) this thing looks like Hasbro went to Tonka to build it rather than Takara.

11. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Nay.

12. justinRODimus

justinRODimus Well-Known Member

hey i've been away from the tf universe for a bit, someone please update me!!! so the constructicons dont transform or what?

13. Takeout

Takeout Mistress of the Night

I say bomb it out of existence.

14. AMG

AMG Old School

For $100, it's Devasstator.

15. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby Life is strange

well based on the first pics it was 'hmm maybe' but after seeing all the out of scale alt modes, its a defiante no...although if i see it on sale, then its back to 'hmm maybe'

16. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Now that I've actually seen the thing and had its non-bot mode nature confirmed, I give this an apocalyptic "nay." And I'm actually prepared to pay the £200 for MP Grimlock, so that says a lot about my feelings for this Devastator "figure"...

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When it comes to me paying $100, it has to be something special. Would I consider this "special" enough? I have to say no. I think it looks ok. I even think it looks more worth its money then the supreme Bumblebee, but I didn't buy him either. I think, ultimately for me, I prefer "mainline" transformers. Things like Bumper battlers and FABs don't really do it for me, and it seems like Hasbro is releasing more for these side, gimmick laden lines then their main line this time around for whatever reason.

Hasbro can do what they want, but I'm not buying most of that stuff. I think the way this Dev is designed, being vehicles that combine into a robot, puts it outside the main line into the realm of FABs and Bumper Battlers. It does seem more like Voltron or Power Rangers then Transformers. I don't really mean that as an insult but I do mean that it's not what I as a transformer fan is collecting. And being $100 doesn't help. I really think this amount of detail could be maintained at a smaller size and price.

Oh, also, I have no idea how so many people have the room to get things like this. I've been getting a lot of toys from the lines released in just the past couple years and the little room I have left for toys is stopping me from buying things more then the prices. So, besides the price, this thing would have to be a work of art for me to devote that much room for it.

EDIT: I don't really know exactly what kids want these days, but I'm guessing this isn't going to be a huge hit with the kids. There's a good chance, being a villain with such an abstract design, he's just not going to be that popular. Like I said I don't really know for sure what kids go for so maybe I will be wrong.

18. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Well said.

I personaly like this devastator. Maybe it's because I have always been easy to please when it comes to TFs, but I think it is pretty cool. I plan on moving a few things around for a display for my 3rd favorite character. Besides, we have yet to see the lights, sound, and other features that this guy has.

My only problem with him is the simple paint apps. I really wish they added some rust color or something to darken it up and give it some more detail.

Otherwise, I am happy. I only plan on getting 2 of the seperate constructicons anyway, Scavenger (Commander doom wheels), and Mixmaster, because he is my favorite of the constructicons.

Also, even with how simple this guy's transformation is, I still think it looks mistransformerd. The shoulders look upside down, and the torso looks backwords. Mabye it's just me.

19. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

I think this poll may want to change its title, We're only GUESSING this is the 100$ Devy, there's NO confirmation. I vote NO to the idea of a Robot made up of JUST vehicles, nothing else, just plain vehicles.

20. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Hate...Worst toy ever!