Yamato 1/60 Perfect Transformation VF-1

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by MasterOfPuppets, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Nice. FAST Packs are ready, too... WHEN!?

2. Octane

Octane Soul Crusher

About the only thing that interests me in the catapult front gear. Sad huh?

3. -Barricade-

-Barricade- Forza Ferrari!

News Credits:
    So is this bigger or smaller then g1 jetfire?
    I just now got back into this stuff, sorry for all the questions lol...

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Smaller. The red one in this pic is the scale it will be and the brown one is what G1 Jetfire was.

[​IMG]

5. -Barricade-

-Barricade- Forza Ferrari!

News Credits:
    Cool thanks. I was not able to see the previous posted pics before now.

6. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I hate to be a buzz kill, but here's my two cents on the new 1/60 VF-1.

I'm aware of what the line art says, but the finished product is the one that people actually see. And in the finished product of Macross 7, the only time we see the VF-1 alongside the other mecha in this series, the VF-1 is the same size as the other VF's. In the brief scene where a dummy bad guy holds a VF-1 hostage in Macross Plus, I did not get the feeling that the VF-1 was that small.

Meanwhile, the 1/48 VF-1 looks beautiful alongside my 1/60 VF-0. Heck, similar parts are even the same size: arms are the same size, legs same size, head same size. If it wasn't for the fact that the pilots were different sized, there would be every reason to believe that the 1/48 VF-1 and 1/60 VF-0 are in the same scale.

Meanwhile, I have my old 1/60 VF-1 next to my 1/60 VF-0, and it just looks silly. Literally the only difference between the 1/48 VF-1 and 1/60 VF-0, scale wise, is the size of the pilot. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to imagine (or kitbash) a smaller cockpit for the VF-1 and put a smaller pilot in there. It simply makes more sense to me to tolerate 2 planes that are roughly the same size but with a difference in pilot size, than to get a new toy that has the same cockpit/pilot size but has a tiny main body in comparison.

I'm aware that some people care a lot about scale, and I respect that. I like the way G1 Prime goes with my MP Starscream, because they would (more or less) be in scale. It simply looks good. It's really neat putting my Alternators next to MP Prime because the scale is more-or-less the same, and it just looks good. Currently, my Deluxe Bonecrusher is sitting next to MP Starscream, the scale looks just about right, and again, it just looks good together.

When I put Alternator Sunstreaker next to Deluxe Bonecrusher, there is an obvious, nagging scale difference.

I don't see an obvious, nagging scale difference between my 1/48 VF-1 and my 1/60 VF-0. Lineart be darned, Macross 7 shows them as the same size. Considering most people only have the animation, and not the lineart, to make scale comparisons, I don't think my argument is completely without merit.

I have to pass on the new 1/60 VF-1. The improvements it offers over my 1/48 are not enough for me to buy. True, the 1/60 has a better robot mode, but it's not like the 1/48's robot mode was ever all that bad. Aside from what appears to be double-jointed elbows and shorter nosecone, the improvements are minimal. Moreover, I think the 1/48 looks better in plane mode. If the new 1/60 was unanimously more attractive in both plane and bot modes, I suppose that would be worth getting.

I actually think having the VF-1 and other VF's in the same scale looks worse. I just don't think the lineart argument holds much water, because the fiction shows them in the same size. Besides, we're Transformers fans. We're used to stuff being insanely out of scale. Except the 1/48 VF-1 and the other 1/60 VF's is not exactly the grievous scale difference between G1 Bludgeon and Ultimate Bumblebee.

7. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

First commercial is out folks! Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Sorry I cant hear you guys over my wallet crying.

9. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    Nice commercial. When do they come out?

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Why wouldn't this be a perfect transformation? Jetfire was doing it decades ago.

I just don't get the insane love for these - they all look like repaints and head swaps of the exact same mold over and over and over again, yet people go nuts every time a new one comes out. What's the appeal?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Erm, the VF-0 only appears in the Macross Zero OVA, where it's not shown amongst any of the newer models (at least, not having seen any of Macross, that's to the best of my knowledge), since it's set something like 10 years before the original series. And by the design specs, it's indeed a lot bigger than the VF-1, since it houses traditional jet engines, as opposed to the compact nuclear reactors of the newer models.

The deal with the Yamato ones though is that they internalized a lot of the mechanisms, like the swing bars that hold the hips on, so that the figures looked more like they do in the animation (no obvious metal rods and such). Previously, they were unable to achieve this on the smaller 1/60 scale figures.

On their old 1/60 figures, you had to remove and re-attach the legs, to account for the inability to hide the swing bar (on the 1/48s, there are all sorts of opening hatches so that not only do the hip rods wind up inside the nosecone, but they're entirely hidden from all angles).

12. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Lord Of Tetris, sorry to rain on your rain, but the size of the VF-0 is substantially larger than that of the VF-1. Doesn't matter what looks better or what 'feels' right, the sizes of the various Valkyries are set, and they were set long before any of these figures came out.

I don't see an obvious, nagging size difference between my Perfect Grade Gundam Mk-II and my Perfect Grade Evangelion, but it's there, and if I were to pose them together the scales would be screwed up. There are a substantial number of people who feel that scale is important. The whole reason people ditched the 1/60 VF-1's for the 1/48 ones is because of the better transformation and gimmicks. If they can get that transformation in a better scale, they'll do it gladly, and Yamato will own their souls.

13. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Pass.

They look pretty much the same as the 1/48 just smaller and with better hands. But as the proud owner of many 1/48s, it's not even close to enough to get me to buy one. If you don't already own 1/48s then yeah, they're great (hopefully if they're less expensive), but if you already own the 1/48 then I wouldn't bother.

How much are these running for anyway? The only bonus IMO would be a lower pricepoint so more people could know the wonderfulness of Yammies.

14. pinoy78

15. NSJ23

NSJ23 can’t think of something witty..

I know times have changed and gases prices have gone up, but i think i spent that much on my first 1/48 not sure if i want to spend that on a 1/60. But it looks like it will come with the fast packs. hmmmmmmmmm

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Nice, this is really beautiful, but it's a bit more then I'd like to pay. On the one hand, I've only got 3 Valks, and they're all 1/100th Toynami ones that are, well, quite rubbish.

So, I'm torn. It does seem like a nice price for the Valk and the Strike pack, but I'm not really sure I want to drop that kind of money just yet. I'll probably cave and preorder though, it's just more then I was expecting by about $25, and that's without international shipping on top of that.

Plus with Macross Frontier, I'm sure I'll be getting Ozma's with Armor, so I don't want to end up paying a small fortune for two figures that may just end up collecting dust on my table. But man, I love Roy Fokkers color scheme, the VF-1S, and the Strike Pack...

Darnit, now I'm thinking about maybe passing on the VF-25's for a bit, and ordering this now...

EDIT: If I knew for 100% certainty about the Strike pack on it, I think I'll order it. Man, I'm weak. Weak I tell you!

17. pinoy78

I'll give you my 110% guarantee that price INCLUDES Fast Packs (Strike/Super).

18. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is true about the vf-1, yf-19, etc. Which is why I don't have a 1/60 vf-1 because it wouldn't look right next to everything else. However as someone else said, the vf-0 wasn't in macross 7, plus, or anything else for that matter. So with the vf-0, it isn't a case of the figures not being the right size when shows came out years earlier in order to match some line art that isn't what entertained me.

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:

Hmm. Will the laser on the Strike pack have the hinge so you can lower it ala Classics Jetfire for robot mode?

Also, I've been concerned about quality. One thing that's kept me away from getting Valks before is the horror stories about them being broken just in the shipping, I'm not talking play, but coming out the box they break. Heck, one of my Toynami 1/100th broke on the first transformation. It's left me a bit worrisome about spending $100+ on an imported toy that breaks before or within 3 minutes of getting it.

20. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Yamato, for all of its faults, usually doesn't have the "broken in the box" problems that Toynami does. What it DOES have though is a long and sordid history of "Oops! We'll fix that on the next run!" design flaws, like hinges that break due to transformation stress, poor material choices for shoulders, and the like. For examples, see: VF-0S, VF-0A, 1/72 YF-19, 1/72 VF-11, Scopedog, Garland, and so on.

I'm not touching the first run of the 1/60 remakes with a 10 foot pole. It's not like it'll be the only release, anyhoo.