Customs: Xtra fine tip paint markers/ small detail painting

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by THE 1, Aug 26, 2016.

1. THE 1

THE 1 GUNFIGHTER

I'm trying to paint a small project that has some very fine details that I want to paint, but it's too difficult to mask/paint by brush. The marker will be going on top of a surface painted with Modelmaster flat white and then I will be covering the project with a Modelmasters acrylic clear gloss and I dont want it to bleed when that is applied. The colors I am looking to use on the fine details will be yellow and light blue. Any help that works will be greatly appreciated.

(I was looking at the Crafts Smart pens at Michael's, but I wasn't sure if they were any good.)

2. THE 1

THE 1 GUNFIGHTER

So, without any input from my fellows, I ventured out on my own. I managed to get a 50% off coupon for Michael's and bought the so-called Xtra Fine Tip markers (Craft Smart brand).
    Well, let me tell you..... They are anything but "xtra fine". The tips on these puppies are 1/8" in diameter with a full radius at the tip. Definitely not what I had hoped for as far as fine detail painting. However.... The paint can be used quite readily and covers pretty well. Just depress the tip a few times and you'll have spot of paint in your desired color. I did end up using this paint on the small details I was painting and it worked well.
    Warning: Be careful if you brush gloss coat over surfaces covered with these paints. They will start to "bleed" if you go over them a few times. Even though I allowed plenty of curing time (a full 24 hours) I experienced this problem. If you do one quick pass it will not have time to spread out on your project.
    I wanted to post this to help anybody that might be interested in these particular markers. A better alternative may actually be Gundam Markers. Just started experimenting with them and they seem like they would have been small enough to do the trick. Hope this helps somebody.

• Like Like x 2