XTB Protectobots/Defensor

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by XBurner071, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure plenty of people would be fine with getting an action figure like Bruticus.
    But in terms of MP collecting, Bruticus isn't like Menasor.

The only company that's tried a Menasor with another Combiner is New Age with their Devastator. And comparing it to Magic Square's Devastator, it has caused more than a bit of outrage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Magnusfan Nujevad

Magnusfan Nujevad Well-Known Member

What's the difference between the cartoon and OX design? They look pretty similar to me.

3. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I like him. I like the color. I don't like how stuff pops out when you're moving him around for poses.
    DSC_0026_copy_2022x1516~(1).jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. Little Dutch

Little Dutch Well-Known Member

The Studio Ox design has a bit more heroic proportions (slimmer build), longer upper legs and Streetwise and First Aid have switched position as limbs. Though whether or not the cartoon had it right or Studio Ox, as far as limb composition, I don't know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  5. Magnusfan Nujevad

Magnusfan Nujevad Well-Known Member

This looks pretty much like MMC's version as well. It even has the shoulder tops opened up, no neck brace, and no red abdomen. MMC looks like it's full on G1 cartoon accurate as can be.
    G1_Defensor.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Little Dutch

Little Dutch Well-Known Member

Yeah, it does. I miss the red abdomen (which is from the G1 toy), it broke up that big blue and black slab that is Defensor's torso. Both MMC and XTB come without.

Personally I tend to prefer Studio Ox designs as I like a more modern aesthetic over being a slave to the (often poorly drawn) 80's designs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    How is Menasor 'really' an action master? I'm intrigued.

8. Dodgy Dan

Dodgy Dan Well-Known Member

I prefer Defensor with the red abdomen and blue collar, mainly because it takes me back to the original toy, the design of which I genuinely love (Probably the coolest Autobot combiner). I'm really, REALLY hoping XTB include an option for a more toy accurate look when everything's finished.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Yeah it's one of the few MP combiners that actually has a role for every component in all three configurations. You could argue that it's more of a "super mode" style transformer than a pure combiner, but it's about as far from being an action master as you can get.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nova Maximus

News Credits:
    It's either because you can technically have one of the two three G1 toon Menasor's without having any of the actual team members, or because just how G1 toon Menasor works (big Motormaster with Stunticons tapped on limbs).

What I do know for sure is the dude seems to have a vendetta against partsforming combiners. Like they stole his collection or something.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Yup. The definition of an action master is that of an posable action figure that doesn't transform. Menasor's torso transforms. It doesn't matter if you can technically combine him without the cab part of Motormaster. It still transforms into a trailer and a base. Now if he was talking about Zeta combiners he'd have a fraction of a point as they're different (thankfully) but he specifically states xtb combiners. Are Dx9 and FT action masters too even though they're similar?

Either way I'm looking forward to how this is spun.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    I think they are lame engineering wise, but I am fine with them to exist as there are people who like them. My point is that most people here want this only for the combined mode and don't really care how it gets from point A to B. So a huge "action master", which Zeta's old combiners or this Defensor are not too far off tbh, can be made at a lower cost. People complained about Menasor's skeleton transforming, and now you have a less complex Defensor's suit. I believe it is natural that this type of combiners just evolve into action masters, since "display only people" only buy the team bots with that purpose in mind and don't care about huge fake parts.

The whole "combiner" figure could be either sold as separate pieces that come with the individual members (ala Marvel legends) or as an "extra figure".

Finally, It's not a personal attack on you people, I am being sincere and curious about your answer because quite a few people here and there have stated that XTB's Defensor will be only for combined mode,so I thought about an "action master" representation of the G1 combiners that it's affordable good looking and simple, the 3 things people always complain about.

I already have a good option that meets my personal needs regarding how a combiner should work to look forward to in OM's Maximas Pro, so I have no interest in this, but it is still interesting to hear other points of view. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tazman66gt

Tazman66gt Well-Known Member

same tired rant over and over again. it's not all in one so therefore it sucks, not admitting to the fact that so far all of the all in one figures have been massive compromises in all three modes to achieve the all in gimmick. I would much rather have a non-transforming torso that properly bulks out the combiner. as to the "action master" idea, personally it just sounds like someone is trying to either throw shade or is trying to start an argument for the sake of having an argument. the "point" has no validity in any reality.

• Like Like x 5
  14. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    'Us' people aren't taking it as an attack.That said I'm still intrigued as to how you consider a triple changing robot an action master though?

• Like Like x 1
  15. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Good to know, but XTB and FT's bot are currently going that direction, their bots are focusing more and more on the robot and alt modes (which become more complex and beautiful) and less into the engineering of the combined mode, which results into a mode that is heavily assisted by additional parts or even the use of a whole giant bot frame, so I thought if the combiner could be sold as separate affordable pieces, the people which these type of combiner are aimed for will be more happy, since the combiner action master will be more stable, cheaper, and the sculpt and proportions will not be compromised by a transformation process.

16. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Just makes me think you haven't seen how xtb Menasor works. There are no additional parts needed in the way you are insinuating. It's literally a trailer that transforms into a robot and a base mode. It's the very definition of a triple changer and the furthest thing from an action master as you can get.

I get it, you really dislike the Zeta way of partsforming but you're conflating 2 completely different methods.

Now if you'd have said Zeta instead of XTB you'd have a leg to stand on. Remains to be seen how Defensor will be as we have no official news of how they plan on doing it this time.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Nova Maximus

News Credits:
    Zeta's combiners still required you to combine them, Superion with 80% and Bruticus with 100% of the team was needed to combine with the partsforming piece. That's not Action Master that's still a combiner.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Delduwath

Delduwath Well-Known Member

BIOMEC isn't saying "XTB's Menasor is an action figure", he is asking "Why don't folks want a Menasor action figure?"

Some folks have expressed unhappiness about XTB Menasor's stability when all the component members are plugged in. Plenty of folks have expressed unhappiness about the final price of the set (and of the transforming trailer especially). Most folks seem to display their combiners in combined-mode only (if they only have one set of combiner members; I know lots of folks get 2 or 3 sets to display combined mode alongside the individual bots). Plenty of folks have said that they would prefer that FT stop trying to develop a transforming Menasor frame/trailer, and instead make a stable, non-transforming Menasor.

So it seems like a lot of folks:
    - Display combiners in combined mode only
    - Prefer cheaper figures
    - Prefer stable figures
    - Are fine with none-transforming components (ToyWorld pants, Zeta chest-and-pants, and apparently even entire Menasor frames)

It seems like a 20-inch Menasor action figure would satisfy all those criteria really well! It would be waaay cheaper to make/buy than a set of 5 transformers + combiner kibble; it would be more stable than 5 curled-up robots jammed into a bigger robot; and the fact that it wouldn't transform doesn't really seem to be a downside to lots of people. So, that's the question BIOMEC is asking: If someone made a 20-inch Menasor non-transformable action figure, would people buy it? And if not - why not?

(To be honest, I've always wondered the same thing. Given how many people on this forum say that they never transform their figures, I wonder: if Fans Toys made action figures AND transforming figures, which would sell better?)

• Like Like x 3
  19. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Screenshot 2021-07-03 163356.png

We are here for transforming toys. There are plenty of funko pops, pvc figures with minimal articulation, tshirts, posters, and statues for people who don't want/care if the toy of the character has its one defining characteristic.

What killed Transformers for me as a kid was... action masters (Pretenders and Micromasters were also nails in the coffin). The most idiotic, lazy thing you could do to a Transformer was take away its ability to transform. They gave it up to become more powerful? I don't fucking think so, Hasbro.

• Like Like x 8
  20. Delduwath

Delduwath Well-Known Member

This is not accurate. You are here for transforming toys. I am here for transforming toys. I have seen many posts in these threads where people mention how they either never transform their toys (if they are packaged in bot mode) or transform them once and then never again (if they come packaged in alt mode). Those folks are not here for transforming toys. They are - I assume - here for representations of characters from the Transformers(tm) franchise.

• Like Like x 3