XTB Protectobots/Defensor

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by XBurner071, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Delduwath

Delduwath Well-Known Member

I think that half the difficulty with the transformation is that at one point the torso has to be a bunch of floppy, unsupported panels, and the other half the difficulty is that the figure is just so dang big. A big figure is hard to handle, and adds a layer of challenge even to things that would otherwise be straightforward. A big figure could be designed to be stable and supported at every step of the transformation (the DX9 trailer seems to be pretty close to this), and then its large size wouldn't be an obstacle when transforming. A small figure can afford to have some steps when it's floppy, because you can probably support it with one hand while transforming it with the other. XTB's trailer is so big that even two hands aren't enough to support it at times, and it's floppy on top of that. I haven't been able to transform it without having to just lie it down on the desk or the floor, and I don't find that satisfying at all.

2. Chris C137

Chris C137 Costs less than an empty Fanstoys box.

News Credits:
    They must have alternate faces for First Aid to convey the full range of his emotions also. Anything less than 6 options would just be lazy.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Craigmcgowan1984

Craigmcgowan1984 Wallet prepare for devastation

News Credits:
    The trailer was a mess to transform, lucky you that's he's not top heavy (you got gravestone in there?) And stable, but for the majority of us the trailer is a mess, I've still not been able to get him to hold his gun without the wrist giving out(it cannot be tightened anymore) and even if I do get the hand balanced with the arm out straight it slowly falls down one click of the rachet at a time till the arm is at his side, for what it cost and all the design delays it's s piece of grade A crap.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Zordonsage

Zordonsage Member

Me Myself I  am waiting for the  mastermind defensor  version. Loved their bruticus.

5. Arkine

Arkine Throws the boxes away.

I like to think that the Locke thing was karma for the $200+70 trailer/upgrade kit.

Also, are these going to be as small as the stunticons? While I wasn't on board with the size back then, I think it works well on autobots.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

very different to my experience. Agree with the previous long winded boring transformation but once together, mines solid with or with out Motormaster in place. I have no issues with his arm strength or wrist stability.

• Like Like x 3
  7. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    My desktop went out of control over the weekend, but I also found the good work of @gaseous clay
    View attachment 29037790
    I didn't have the length of the XTB trailer (I'm not changing it back just for this), but I can say that that 16% of Dx9's trailer is their Motormaster. But I didn't know about a portion of Menasor's feet extending into this potion.

So the base mode isn't causing all the trouble? It's funny that a poss above references XTB as having a "short trailer". I thought most of the outrage was the Dx9 had a trailer that was "too long".

Personally I think most of these basemodes truly are a half transformation and pretty much just dropping the figure on its back. I'm gonna have to try and make a basemode if BBTS ever stocks my Dx9 Capone figure.[/QUOTE]

100ft :eek: biggest oversized ko's ever!! :eek: 

• Like Like x 1
  8. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    What if there's no trailer at all and the torso can just turn into a base mode for when the team are seperate?

Base mode is literally just the thighs spread out to the side with the torso straight up, inner shoulders rotated and a ladder pointing forward:

protectobots3-hot-spot-repair-alt.jpg

Still won't appease the 'all in one' purists but it'd be an option for those who want to display with the team which shouldn't really add any over engineering.

• Like Like x 4
  9. SquishyOH

SquishyOH Well-Known Member

If Hot Spot cannot turn into the whole torso, abdomen, pelvis, etc. all on his own then my vote would be "pants former" like Zeta does for their combiners. Looking at the G1 toy the middle of Defensor is pretty ugly. I think most of us would be happier with a combiner that was human shaped rather than that weird quadrilateral. It's probably a big ask for Hot Spot to pull off the the torso on his own and still be anywhere near scaled in bot mode to the rest of the team.
    protectobots_1_309e9bd89a1a096642812eff3e14b139.jpg

I think a dedicated pair of pants would be more stable and elegant than a trailer which turns into a skeleton.

• Like Like x 5
  10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    That's kinda my point. No trailer at all, pants that essentially can sit like the pic above so no compromises to stability.

• Like Like x 4
  11. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    That is what I do with all my figures I transform them lying down on my bed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris C137

Chris C137 Costs less than an empty Fanstoys box.

News Credits:
    Yeah I think that's probably the best way to go here. If they were to make some equivalent to the Menasor trailer, you'd assume it would have to be roughly the same size as that trailer, which is huge and would dwarf Hot Spot's alt mode. Even if they made Hot Spot just the cab portion and the combiner body the rear of the fire truck it would surely result in something massively out of scale in alt mode.

So yeah, either a single purpose Zeta-style torso, or a torso that can perform a simple transformation into a base mode are probably the best /easiest option.

But then again XTB don't seem to like to do things the easy way :p 

• Like Like x 2
  13. TRANZ4MR

TRANZ4MR General Thud

News Credits:
    Sure, DX-9 is fun to transform. It's a TOY. It LOOKS like a toy. And it's meant to be played with. That's FINE!

But I have NO room in my collection for a "Masterpiece" figure that looks like a toy.
    To each his/her own. :buttrock 

14. TheRebirth

TheRebirth Well-Known Member

Seriously, this is Bruticus's back! I had Onslaught as a kid, and got him and Hot Spot in Combiner Wars. Why did it take this pic to make me realize they've always shared engineering? All this time I'd been thinking the CW remold was just Hasbro being lazy lol!

15. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To each his/her own, but XTB Mensaor doesn't look like masterpiece, doesn't transformer like masterpiece, but the quality does like recent masterpiece to me, I mean MP47, and price is close to MP44. :D 

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  16. SJW

SJW Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your opinion being given as fact from somebody that doesn’t own XTB Monolith. Haha. ;) 

Others that own XTB monolith may agree and some disagree with you. I don’t own Dx9 Menasor but don’t jump into the thread for that figure to trash it or comment on the negatives of it. If you haven’t handled the figure how can you say the figure isn’t of MP quality of years gone by? Not everybody that owns this set thinks it is crap or have been unlucky with breakages.

My copy of XTB Monolith poses well. No damage/breakages experienced. The knees are holding up fine. There are aspects of the figure which I question the decisions made by XTB (such as all the folding panels and potential stresses resulting) in the finished article but that goes for many TF figures. It’s far from perfect but IMO is a great representation of the character. I do actually like Dx9 representation. Horses for courses. I think more people were irritated by the pricing and inflated price of the trailer and separating of trailer and accessories. I certainly was.

Hopefully XTB can build on what they did well for Monolith and ensure QC is better for Defensor.

I’ve been a member of this site for over a year and longer time lurker :p  but I just don’t understand the fandom in here wanting to talk down figures when they do not actually own them and wish to take away from others enjoyment of said figures. I’m not singling you out but I’m seeing it more and more. I guess it helps to explain why I never embraced social media and this is as close to it as I get.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
  17. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Evil Warrior of Talking

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 14
  18. Conran

Conran Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster No relation to the Autobot, ironically.

News Credits:
    If we're just going by a direct XTB comparison with the Stunticons, those (or at least Breakdown was) originally were cheaper than the average due to Keith wanting to curbstomp the BBQ knockoff.

[​IMG]

So around that price for Streetwise isn't that jarring if you ask me. Though as i've said before, i'll wait till reviews come out before I jump thanks to goddamn Kup.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    100 bucks is right in line with pricing for an MP car bot these days. What will remain to be seen is whether the quality lives up to that price point.

I don't personally love the look of this thing, but that's just my own preference. I do kind of like the color they went with though.

• Like Like x 2