XTB Dr. Egg - MP Quintesson Judge

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Chrisola, Dec 14, 2018.

1. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    They kept pushing the pantone color they are going with on their fb, and it was certainly something other than that flat grey from the video, plus you can see none of the accents are painted... like the green on the remote/ship.

2. 4249david

4249david Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    For those paying $175, I really hope so otherwise people will be pretty pissed.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    myself included :D 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tazman66gt

Tazman66gt Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put too much stock in a pre-production sample. things can, and probably will, change between now and when we actually see them in people's hands.

5. Chris C137

Chris C137 Costs less than a Fanstoys box.

News Credits:
    To me the colour of the egg is the least of the deco problems, it doesn't seem that far off the character model. It's the missing paint apps on the faces that's sticking out to me compared to the model sheet:
    PicsArt_10-13-10.23.44.jpg PicsArt_10-13-10.26.12.jpg PicsArt_10-13-10.28.11.jpg PicsArt_10-13-10.30.24.jpg PicsArt_10-13-10.32.04.jpg

These were the test shots and it appears to be the same level of deco in the A3U review, so hopefully the copy they reviewed wasn't the final deco, otherwise that makes the price look even more outrageous if they skimp on paint apps.

• Like Like x 15
  6. Acayas

Acayas Active Member

Is it just me or is the smiling face missing its upper lip? The dark grey area under the nose that runs down on both sides of the mouth looks like a moustache to me.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Tazman66gt

Tazman66gt Well-Known Member

they are all missing a shit load of details

• Like Like x 7
  8. Ichibaru

Ichibaru Supreme Commander of Pork

I'll be stopping by A3U sometime soon to pick up some orders, if Eric or Boris happen to be in, will ask them about the state of the sample that they had in the vid.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this comparison, this is my biggest problem too, where is the paint on the faces? You can’t cheap out on paint apps on something extremely over priced.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Jtotheiso187

Jtotheiso187 Well-Known Member

Does anyone else think the Earthrise Quint is good enough?

• Like Like x 8
  11. MINDVVIPE

MINDVVIPE "The powers of darkness..."

Yikes seeing it again, those face sculpts are terribly bad.
    More like just straight up better.

• Like Like x 5
  12. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Sure, and a steak from IHOP is good enough but can't beat a steak from Morton's steakhouse.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MINDVVIPE

MINDVVIPE "The powers of darkness..."

It can if the steak tastes better. Brand name and fancy lighting is hype and window dressing. The hasbro one obviously looks more plastic, but I'll take that any day over how trash these face sculpts look. The aggro ones look tame af, open jaws looking like they are just going to take a bite out of a sandwich, and the assymetry and low resolution detailing on the others make this look even more plastic than the hasbro one, kinda like a glossy mcdonalds toy.
    It severely lacks any character that the toon animation displayed, and does not evoke the same feelings when watching the toon. It's all butterfaces across the board. Oh and I just realized the mouths on these don't look like they can move. Definitely a very cool plus for the hasbro version.

If the majority of my qualms are addressed in the final version, I'll gladly eat my words.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Definitely.
    ER Quintessons are great.
    I might buy one of these if XTB decides to change the price to something reasonable, but I'd be buying it to thank them for wanting to produce an MP Quintessons more than anything.
    Altough I also would love to have a really great Masterpiece Quintesson to have MP representation of such an iconic character.
    But really, if anyone can produce some articulated tentacles I can swap the standard ER ones out for I'm good.

• Like Like x 2
  15. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

I think it is just what you stated. They simplified several of the facial features and repeated them on others. Removed surfaces for paint apps and make you assume that sides of faces with sharp angles are just cell shading features that don't need to be painted. I don't know how consistent the faces were in the toon but you should default to the stock pictures with the most detail in that case. Some of the colors on sculpts are just flat wrong. Repeated big nose while not shading or coloring eyes is a dead giveaway for trying to avoid extra detailing on faces. Look at how off all of them are except for the main front face that is the most detailed and closest to the original while still missing some minor details. Its literally like they knew they had to get that one right but even the order of the faces is off or was that also not consistent? I would compare to the Hasbro Quint for reference on what they did. Jaws should have opened. The damn thing is not that many parts and does not transform so you better be killing it with museum quality accuracy and detail. Need to paint and detail the remote Quint ship as well. Another factor here is they clearly went toon but then tried to play the ignore cell shading. You cannot do both. Quints are not real and completely toon so they should have heavily leaned with the cell shading because it added character.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Chris C137

Chris C137 Costs less than a Fanstoys box.

News Credits:
    I think if you take price and intended market out of the equation for a moment you could definitely argue that as things stand the Earthrise is just as good an option as the XTB, though there are pros and cons to each. A lot comes down to individual preferences on scale, aesthetics, budget etc. Still need to see if the deco is final on the XTB but for now I'll assume what we've seen so far is what we'll get.

I do think some of the head sculpts are actually better on the Earthrise, and they're generally better defined, eg the orange head is better sculpted and actually has more paint than the XTB. Though the red face (Wrath) and green spiky head (Judgement?) are more three dimensional on the XTB.

The overall scale of the XTB is bigger than the Earthrise, and the body itself is sculpted more toon accurate, it has the electrics which look nice if you want more features.

I do like the simplicity of the Earthrise having the ratcheted rotation gimmick. That works for me and it's really all I would've wanted from the character. The jail transformation is kinda irrelevant for me.

If it's just based on looks, both need extra paint apps and have their own strengths on sculpt, but you can buy about five or six Earthrise Quints for the price of one Dr Egg and that's ultimately a huge factor. I don't mind painting the Earthrise given it's price point, and it does looks pretty cool with extra paint. I'd feel more begrudging about the idea of needing to paint Dr Egg though if I want it to look more screen accurate.

Again that could be moot if there's a final deco update though.

Ultimately what I'm trying to say in a long-winded way is in terms of purely appearance, I'm still not sold on the XTB, but I could be if the final release looks better than what we've seen so far, and the price comes down :p 

• Like Like x 4
  17. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Ill buy it if, they add Billy Bass sounds on there.

18. Jtotheiso187

Jtotheiso187 Well-Known Member

I don't think we can use "scale" as an excuse to buy this.

19. ibot

ibot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well ,eh, here I am.

1.For the coloration of the faces we will be adding something more paints apps. But you know some area those shades on faces were just lightings.but whatsoever we're trying to put some colors paint apps on those faces .
    2.For the egg itself I would like to say its camera issues. because the real product in person the eggs is much darker than in the screen.

• Like Like x 7
  20. 4249david

4249david Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thank you sir. Now if you'd please make your way to the XTB Stunticons thread it'd be much appreciated :) 

• Like Like x 11