Xbox ONE Discussion; let's try again - READ THE FIRST POST

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by McBradders, Jul 16, 2013.

1. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Pretty simple really; this thread remains civil.

You type M$ or derivative thereof? Banned from thread.

Microsuck or derivative thereof? Banned from thread.

Any kind of "omg ur stupid for liking Xbox"? Banned from thread.

It's baiting, pure and simple and it's not going to be tolerated in this thread.

The last one was a headache and stamped out dead any hope for discussion between those interested, curious or looking for an actual discussion.

If the WiiU, 3DS and PlayStation 4 can have civilized discussions, then so can the Xbox regardless of your feelings to the contrary.

2. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
    Hooray for purging.

Moving on, I've been out of the loop recently, does Kinect still need to be connected every second?

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I believe so, yes.

4. Starscreamer95

News Credits:
    Swet. Might actually look forward to it now.

5. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    ... third time's the charm? :eek: 

6. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, which I honestly find odd. I mean, there's yet to be an honest-to-goodness reason for it to be connected to play. Sure, I get you want to include one in every box to encourage developers to actually *gasp* develop for it, but just put it in the box. I haven't seen a good reason that they made the system built around it.

Not bashing here, just kind of confused.

7. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Back to business I guess.

Anyways I got a question about the Kinect. It seems kinda early to make it mandatory to put in a console. I mean it still seems experimental and still needs tweaking.

That being said have they said anything about making the Kinect more easier to use?

8. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    The removal of almost all the DRM stuff, mostly the "always online for offline games" really made this console jump up from a "nope, never" to a "can't wait to see some more games between now and November".

9. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

after looking up some info, Microsoft did a 180 with the Xbox One removing much of the restrictions. now i would like to buy the console but the price is a small issue. i'll wait until the price drops to $400.

10. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also to wait until they start patching The first wave of consoles bugs.

Because with all the stuff they crammed into it odds are one if them is gonna be bugged on day 1.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Now that Microsoft has removed its ridiculous "you don't really own anything you bought" DRM, I am considering the Xbox One.
    Sad, really, that it went from a day-one-instant-purchase to a consideration.
    But, the Playstation 4 is $100 cheaper and is honestly a more powerful machine.

With that said, though, I don't really see any new games for either system that have me super hype. Project Spark and Killer Instinct are pretty cool, so maybe I'll end up with the Xbox One.
    I honestly don't know at this point.

It might have squat to do with gameplay, but they want you to always be able to say "Xbox" and have the system respond. It would be nice for that to move beyond just a user interface but I don't really see that happening.

12. Starscreamer95

News Credits:
    Or the load times will be too long. Or it doesn't download things while the system is off. Or it won't jump between apps in exactly one second.

Speaking as a Wii U owner waiting for system updates.

13. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

Wait, the DRM is gone for good? Thought MS re-instated it in response to a petition...Grimmjow is confused now...

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    A petition to re-instate the DRM?
    Who would be behind that?
    Madness.

15. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    No, they haven't reinstalled the DRM thing despite the petition.

16. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Wow, I actually thought that was fake.

17. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Some people want it because they believe that it is a necessary part of going to full game sharing through the cloud and everything else like that. It's not that they want the DRM restrictions necessarily (unless they are part of the industry and see it as a way to protect their IP, or are gamers who feel it is necessary for the IP to continue to be protected), but they want the features that MS has discussed/taken away with their policy changes.

Also, just my two cents about the always connected kinect, I think they've probably built the UI for the xbone [this is still an alright term for this thread right?] around using the voice and probably gesture motions picked up by the kinect sensor, so while you can turn it off and switch to the controller to use the interface like you probably use the 360 interface now, it will be much more user friendly (potentially) if you just use the kinect gestures and voice recognition.

If anyone has experience using a touchscreen on their laptop/desktop and has played around with windows 8, it's sort of like that. Using the touchscreen and gestures in windows 8 is a lot more fluid than using a mouse/keyboard because the ui is designed for it. The windows 7 interface on the otherhand is horrible I find with a touchscreen and it really feels like a gimmick. I think this is going to be true of the kinect sensor for this generation as well. The 360 kinect is kind of a gimmick and not a lot uses it that well. Plus, since nobody is forced to have one connected to their system at all times, developing for it's use is potentially a waste of time as it cuts out a part of your market. In the xbone, it will be mandatory, so it's worth the time to develop for it and integrate it into the UI as they have. Overall we'll benefit on an experience level from it being mandatory because instead of trying to push it into the current interface, they will have been able to build the interface on it and take better advantage of the features.

Overall, I still don't like the kinect, and I honestly don't know if I'll even be able to ever use it effectively, as I don't have the massive amounts of space the original needed to work properly (also, I hate motion controls, be it nintendo, sony, ms, or whoever), but I think it really is going to be a big part of their UI.

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think that a lot of people are talking about the new Kinect like the current one when the specs are vastly different. Even between the Project Natal box and the Kinect we got for 360. Natal had (and I'd guess the new hardware has) a processor just for the Kinect hardware where for the 360 that got offboarded to the Xbox. That's supposedly part of the reason that the Kinect for 360 always feels a half second behind. From the earnest reports I've read and heard about the One's Kinect it doesn't feel that lag anymore.

As far as it being in every box and required to be plugged in? That's going to make the developers much more likely to find ways to integrate voice into games to play with immersion. Imagine if yell "Fire in the hole!" in a FPS would protect your friendlies when tossing a grenade. Sure it'd be dopey, but that could lead to a neat immersion experience.

19. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, like I said, I can understand wanting to put it in every box. Just not requiring it to be connected to play your games. Unless the Kinect 2.0 has better space utilization, my room where I do my gaming isn't going to be big enough.

20. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't they mention in Dead Rising 3 that any noise going on in the room where you're gaming, would be picked up in the game and would alert nearby zombies? I'm not sure if it was DR3, but it really does encourages you to play somewhere quiet. Although, I think it could be flawed if it ends up picking up noise from the TV/sound system like what happened during that X1 reveal.