Xbox One Discussion. KEEP IT CIVIL. It's not hard.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Mechafire, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Still not renewing my LIVE gold membership.

2. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    it just gets worse everytime I enter this thread, I dont wanna do it but I might have to bite the bullet and get a PS4 when it comes out if I feel the need to really upgrade my system. I really hope MS is paying attention to all this right now and can learn from it and remove all this BS theyre talking about right now

I mean we can hope cant we?

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

:lol 
    But everything, save that first article could pass as real articles in the games industry...

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Oh just saw this, don't know if it's posted here yet:

Microsoft Responds: Xbox One's DRM, Always-Online, and Focus on TV/Games - Adam Sessler Interview - YouTube

24 hours may have been too long to let customers stay offline... New Microsoft estimate: somewhere between two minutes and two hours.

5. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I still say people are in for a very rude awakening when the Xbox servers get hacked and taken down a few months after the X1 is released.

6. Icebot

Icebot Well-Known Member

And they mention you being able to sell your own games to others online. This is all to prevent you from going to gamestop and trading stuff in or buying a used game but it will make xbox accounts attractive for hackers who want to transfer all your games off the account and make a fast buck.

7. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
    Wait, is that true? About the 360 update introducing anti-used game crap? ERIC? ERIC?!

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Le sigh. That kills it for me. BC has always been a substantial factor to me.

As I mentioned prior, my friends and I lend each other games quite often as well and we rent even more often. That's a complete deal breaker for us as well.

:lolol 

I disagree. At home, my 360 in the living room can't reliably pick up the internet from the office and I play plenty of games on it; heck I think I put 20 hours on it this week due to getting immersed into Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

Which is another problem for me, I will not tolerate any system that can become a paperweight if it can't connect. Even if I had fantastic internet, I wouldn't want it. All it takes is an outage like Sony had or some home problem like the router goes kaput and suddenly it's not a game console anymore? Nope, DO NOT WANT.

9. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *cough*. Simcity *cough*

Do these companies literally live in some sort of strange far off bubble world where they never hear or read news about how ridiculously bad something like this can be? It's like these companies are just run by Internet trolls who want to see their companies burn just to laugh at the public as they dump gasoline on their organizations.

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

What scares me is that Sony has considered similar policies in the past, seriously enough to have techniques to implement it patented. They've never taken the plunge and done it... yet. Maybe all the backlash against Microsoft will convince them never to go through with it. We can hope. But it seems just as likely that they'll see it as an opportunity now that their only direct competition is already doing it. If Sony blocks used games what are you going to do now? Get an Xbox One instead?

11. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Sony follows Microsoft's lead, they'll be making a huge mistake. It would bring them down to their competitor's level and make the Xbox look like an acceptable alternative to the PS4.

12. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Stick with the Wii U.

13. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

Ok, so what I'm gathering about the whole scenario is this. Disc-based games are essentially going to be fancier looking versions of those cards you can get that come with a download code for 3DS or whatever. They provide the data, but games will only run when installed on your HD and linked to your account. From this perspective, there is no "fee" for playing used games. The used game market simply ceases to exist. It's all digital distribution. Microsoft is essentially given complete control over pricing and distribution of the games for the console. In other words, it is the PSP Go of home consoles.

14. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This whole talk about the update would be bs. Can't you always just choose not to update?

15. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or better yet, skip this generation's insanely-expensive consoles and use the money to upgrade your PC. Unless you're a die-hard fan of console-exclusive franchises, you really can't go wrong with a Steam account.

16. flamepanther

From our perspective, absolutely. From their perspective, it depends on how much money they think they can rake in by blocking used games. Remember, they sell the console at a loss, so making and selling fewer actually saves them money. The only drawback is selling fewer games due to having fewer consoles sold to play them on. So whether it's a good idea hinges on whether they think hijacking the used market will get them more cash than having more users will. Microsoft HAS to have had that same conversation already, and it's obvious what they concluded.

Quick analogy. When I worked for a certain telecom company, the training included a discussion about outsourcing (basically to remind us they could ship our jobs overseas at any time if we didn't keep the company happy). Turns out they're well aware that most people hate dealing with tech support that's been outsourced overseas. They're quite familiar with the constant complaints, and they also keep track of how many customers they lose because of it (a lot). Bottom line? The money they save by outsourcing jobs is significantly greater than the money they lose by alienating customers. Therefore, bleeding X many thousands of customers is acceptable and even profitable.

TLDR: Which is more profitable--a larger number of customers that mostly buy used games, or a smaller number that MUST pay you for every game?

17. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No backwards compatibility 150% killed any interest I possibly had in buying this.

18. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

Microsoft

GO Fuck Your-Self
    !!!..

PS4 will destroy you this go around..

and you'll have no one to blame but your-self.

if this is indeed the path of sheer ******edness that MS takes, i will GLADLY throw my money to Sony..and i hate PS3!!!(though i have one)

If your mission was to shit on your loyal supporters, turn them to Sony and have your next gen system fail before it even gets out the gate well...MISSION FUCKING ACCOMPLISHED....bravo...bravo..

MS...pull your heads out your collective asses and think for one GD second..

this is a horrible idea...and the fans wont stand for it...

the more i read about this the more i hate EVERY FUCKING thing about it and the more enraged i get..EVERYTHING about this new system SCREAMS FAIL..how in the hell can you go from the 360(which was the best damn gaming experience ever) and do a complete 180 and shit on eveything you have established for the past 10 years...really MS this is the plan you fuckers came up with when you brain-stormed this idea for how many fucking years/hours/minutes and seconds...this is the best idea yall could come up with...really...

this whole idea screams strong arm tactics and stalin like control over MY personal gaming experience..and if thats that way you fuckers want to play it, i will gladly go to a system that lets me do what i really want to do..play games..and not under the faciest thumb of a company that forces me to play the way THEY want me to play..

end of rant..................... well not really

MICROSOFT GFYS!!!

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Wow tell us how you really feel.

20. flamepanther

Ya know, because you can totally buy/sell/rent used games on Steam, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.