Xbox One Discussion. KEEP IT CIVIL. It's not hard.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Mechafire, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

That is the same guy who posted this:

https://twitter.com/aegies/status/310282795564015616

Turns out that he didn't know what he was talking about.... I can't believe he has a job in the industry at this point. (Oh wait, yeah I can. It's because games journalism is terrible and a complete joke. They're all just PR shills for the big publishers to buy off.)

2. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Who's this Arthur Gies guy and why should I believe anything he says?

3. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    I wouldn't really call sending infinite raging E-Mails and Posts of Hatred filled with curse words and insults of every kind and Possibly some Death Threats as begging.

Because if I know the Fan base of Gaming that's probably what they did, just like what they did after the Reaction of the Original Mass Effect 3 Ending.

That's why I'm pissed about this whole thing, people weren't begging, they we're throwing stones.

4. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Ah, good to know that guy has no weight to his words.

That's not just the gaming community, that's every fanbase community. And don't forget the cupcakes!

5. Gigatron_2005

What's wrong about throwing stones at a company actively trying to ruin the way you enjoy your hobby?

Oh, and Microsoft was never on any moral high ground here at all. Now that its come out that they were outright lying/misleading people about the 10 Family Member sharing thing. Honestly makes me wonder what else they're lying about. Maybe they plan to backdoor the whole DRM thing on an individual title by title basis now, other than being a system wide feature. Who knows.

6. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I acknowledge there were those doing that, it should be noted that there were a lot of people who weren't.

And now that Microsoft has done an about-face, what you've said is happening to those who championed changed, how ironic...

EDIT:

This story cracks me up, but not as much as the picture use for the story:lol 

7. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    It's kinda hard to fix your mistakes when your getting Rock thrown at you.

Hardly, I'm still seeing the crap they are throwing as Microsoft, even after this news.

Unforgiving people are Unforgiving.

8. Gigatron_2005

That poor multibillion dollar corporation just couldn't change their evil ways because too many people are yelling at them.

The fact that they even did this is a stab in the back to all of gaming. If Sony had not made a big deal of the "no always online DRM" thing, you just know Microsoft would be charging ahead full boar on this. The ONLY reason this changed was because some executive over there managed to look outside of their bubble, combined that with shitty preorder numbers, and had a panic. Fire the entire management team that made this happen, I don't trust them after this.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Very much so.

I'm glad that I don't have to give up on Xbox, but I'm never going to be a day one consumer for any system anymore. When the One has it's slim version that works better, costs less, and has a decent library, then I'll consider it. It's what I did for the 360 and that worked for me.

10. SlayerDarkCross

SlayerDarkCross -----------> ? TFW2005 Supporter

Am I too late for this?

[​IMG]

Anyways this has been entertaining to watch but still the uninformed will never notice anything ever changed.

Well the vocal consumer base feels they just had their boy/girlfriend cheat on them. Followed by them coming back and saying well that never happened! Lets continue things as they were before.

It will hurt for awhile but as anything it will dissipate over time.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  11. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Only problem is that you need the first day update to fix the whole mess,and there's always the chance MS would change their minds after enough units are sold.

12. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    People should still not buy something from Microsoft. Microsoft was always like this, that's why I would never ever buy a console from them. Now Microsoft has finally shown their true face to the gaminc community as well and everyone is like "WTF is this shit?" and now that they pedal back because of fear for the stockholders, the dumb people go like "OK, then I buy XBox One".

Really? As if Microsoft would change. There is a reason why a lot of clever people want there to be a true rival for Windows so there is competition and Microsoft finally gets their shit together. As if they would do different in their other business fields.

13. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I said before that I'm a console collector. I have consoles dating back to the 70's. When the xbox one was open for preorder, I placed mine within the hour. Yes the DRM was a concern, the the xbox one will not be my primary machine. Now that MS removed the very aggressive DRM policy, it is rumored that it is still there upon launch and it will be removed with a patch when you first connect. What's worries me is that if MS can remove the DRM that was written in the firmware, OS or whatever. What is stopping MS from placing it back in the future? With some skillfully written EULA/TOS, they can do that anytime they want. And yes, almost all of them in the gaming market already it, so they can make changes whenever they want to without getting sued.

14. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Does that mean you've gotta open and update your XBone when you get it? Or are you just gonna keep it stock (ie let it become a brick)?

They might be able to do that in the future, but there's nothing to stop a user from just not allowing the One to connect to the internet again after the first update. Not to mention they have to inform you of changes to the TOS and have you agree before enforcing them, so a user could just choose to kill the online when/if that happens.

Not exactly options I'd go for (plan c- buy a PS4/Wii U combo), but options none the less. Now the always-online is off M$ don't have nearly as much control over the console as they did before.

15. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I wouldn't be surprised if MS have forced patch in the xbox one. They will use the read the EULA/TOS excuse.

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I've been thinking about this turn-around more, and...THIS is what really bothers me. Yeah they're changing things now, but there is nothing stopping them from changing things back a year or two from now. Yeah, you could just keep the console from connecting to the internet, but realistically, how many people are going to buy an Xbox One and not play online? or use the internet in some other fashion (like Netflix).

17. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Still, I think what MB is saying is that once you preform the initial 1st update, there is no reason for you to have to ever connect to the internet again if you want to completely avoid DRM.

They could do what sony did with the first few psp games after the system got cracked, and make mandatory updates/firmware on the games themselves. That would BLOW for the consumer, but I could see that happening too.

18. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

Yeah the DRM will be re-activated in some form of firmware update for the system over a period of time. Right now Microsoft wants their Entertainment System to be able to be bought by the consumer so freezing the DRM with a Day-1 Firmware install will work in their favor to get Units sold in the short term.

19. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks M$ will never implement DRM at some point is delusional. The system is already in place to do those things and taking them away doesn't guarantee that those changes will never come back. Right now M$ just wants its console sold in large quantities to appease the stockholders, and if they impose those changes retroactively the gamers will have no one to blame but themselves.

20. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Should Microsft renege on their changes, I think they'll find themselves in a class action lawsuit real quick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.