Xbox Live Price Increase thread of time to defect to the Triple!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by McBradders, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    So is there any way I can downgrade my Xbox Live subscription from Gold to Silver? Because I sure as hell ain't paying the extra $10 just for a few bonus features.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I just remembered I use the 12 month subscription. Well, it still sucks for the US and thsoe who have a monthly subscription.

Yeah, you just stop paying. Or cancel your gold subscription. You always have silver.

3. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Good to know. While I like watching movies that I can rent off of Xbox Live, I use my Xbox as a video game console, not a multimedia device.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe it's just me, but I always look at the small picture. I am paying about 8 bucks a month for Live. By comparison, I pay 100 bucks for cable/internet. If I add 8 bucks over 12 years, then yeah, it seems like a lot, but if I subtract 8 bucks from my monthly cash, it hurts a lot less than 60 bucks, and I live day to day, not year to year. So if someone pokes me with a needle once a day, it hurts a lot less than cutting my arm off all at once.

Also, this increase hurts a lot less when it's 2 bucks a month more, rather than spending 10 bucks more one a single purchase in one day.

5. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    You can play games on live without gold these days?

Excellent comparrison.

However I can afford it, so it's not a problem, it's more the fact that Microsoft would be charging me more than what I was already paying for no reason. Plus, it'd cost more in teh long run going month-by-month.

6. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

Maybe he doesn't want to play online.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    "stop paying" may not work. They actually billed me for another year when my first one was up, after I made damn sure "auto renew" was turned off.

8. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    That'd be a shame with Reach coming up.

Microsoft strikes again!

9. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

The sky is falling! Oh no!
    How dare a company raise prices, evil basta....nevermind.

Chuck

10. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

It's not about how much it hurts, but more about how much you're getting out of it. Xbox's competitors, including handheld systems, offer similar features and services for the price of nothing. What are you getting with XBL that's not only worth paying for, but having the price arbitrarily increase on you as well? People had trouble justifying the service before, now that the price is going up, it's even harder to comprehend. Especially if you're saying that there's actually ads already in the *paid* version of XBL.

Unlike most other things in life, technology gets cheaper with time. What is Microsoft doing to XBL that actually makes in necessary to raise the price 8 years after it came out?

11. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Looks like i wont be renewing when my years up in November. :lol 

Hardly play enough now and get tired of kids trolling.

12. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I guess when my free Gold trial ends, I'm sticking to Silver unless I absolutely must play some co-op with someone.

13. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You can year up now for $39.99. I saw the little advertisement on the dashboard and went ahead and renewed it for another year. The increase does suck, but it's all part of life.

I get the "joy" of raising people's rent every month @ work. Now doesn't seem like the time to raise prices, but ever since we reinstated rent increases we've had excellent months in terms of business and dollars collected.

14. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    Eh, I forgot where, i think it was best buy or walmar, but they have the 12 month for only $30, so I doubt the price increase will affect them. Hopeully.

15. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I pay yearly and shop about for the cheapest pre-paid card so this doesn't immediatley affect me but I can see how it can be balls for people. If they start hiking up the prices of the yearly subscriptions I'll probably bin it all together, all I do is a bit of casual Modern Warfare or Battlefield when I've got heehaw else to do so it wouldn't be worth it.

16. Brawlastator

Brawlastator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jesus, that's a terrible business move. Luckily I just renewed my membership last month, so hopefully Microsoft will have removed their heads out of their asses and lowered the price by next year.

17. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    haha once again i see why i stick to PSN if it comes to multi-platform games

the ONLY reason for me to even get XBL is for when halo reach comes out

18. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

I guess after September 14, 2011 rolls around, I won't be touching Xbox Live. My three-month Gold trial expired a few weeks ago but at least lasted long enough to enjoy some Halo 3 and WFC. I'll grab a card from Amazon or wherever else has it cheap and save it for when I get Reach, but I can't afford to stockpile and "invest" in multiple Live cards.

By the time I'm through with that year, I may very well move on to a different system anyway, unless Microsoft makes some favorable change in price or policy.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm completely agreeing and playing devil's advocate at the same time. I have put enough hours into online Red Dead, and Transformers (on PS3), to say that my online gaming has been just as stable on PSN as it has been on 360. People sound garbled on my pack-in head set (on 360) and I can sometimes not make out what folks are saying unless I bring my TV down, while my PS3 head set sounds like I'm on the phone. Ads for non-game-related crap pollute 360's dash, and I am not a fan of the avatars at all.

But if I were a full supporter of Live and it's services, 2 bucks more a month would not make me give it up. I ain't stopping service for this, at least not until Reach runs its course.

20. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I fucking hate those things.