X-Transbots Springer

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Qingtianzhu, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Hans

Hans Secret Agent

That's easy, wait for the reviews and if the quality is up to par, get this one. That is, if absolute cartoon accuracy is your jam ; )

• Like Like x 2
  2. PrimalPrime007

PrimalPrime007 Well-Known Member

If the QC of the XTB version is stellar, then this one is definitely going to be my Springer. I don't own the FT version but it looks a little too "stylized" and outdated for my liking and the legs look a bit messy. My MMC Springer has issue with his knees which - sadly - gotten pretty loose over time and can't ballance well - lack of ratchet joints in the knees is a fatal flaw for the MMC version (with the way it's constructed & it is top heavy).

XTB hit pretty much all the marks. We can only hope that the QC will pull through.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Just looking at this pic, how far have we come. You can now literally pick from a variety of most of those characters to suit your aesthetical taste. And as a fandom we still bicker about it. Apart from Prowl. Which is odd.

Crazy really.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robyn The Dragon

Robyn The Dragon Woman on the run

News Credits:
    All of them are so good IMO and each one has just enough of a difference to appeal most people, I think.

My favorite one is the MMC (even compared to the XTB at this time) and it has really sleek proportions but that superhero sillouete look to it. Along with the accessories, the bot mode and helicopter mode are just gorgeous.

Air Wolf- the big brother to the Open&Play version, I can't wait to get it. The Big Spring, even though was definitely the cheaper looking of the options, was so much fun and easy to Transform. It looks like Air Wolf will be fixing all of the shortcomings of BS.

Fanstoys is nice and chunky, but looks fantastic and has that good quality so you know you won't have many issues with it. I would say all modes are solid. The only thing that I noticed is that the legs look a little chunky and the adornments also look a little obtrusive from side views.

As far as accuracy goes to the actual vehicles, FT and XTB looks like it is the most faithful. XTB (aside from the chest) looks so promising, but I'll be passing in it and getting Air Wolf and the smaller MFT Falcon to add to my Springer collection. :D 

I would have to see a lot of overwhelmingly positive reviews before getting the XTB version but still think it's a good contender for many.

5. divinecomedy

divinecomedy JAB-A-WOOOKIE

News Credits:
    There's no clear winner in my opinion. FT has the best copter mode but the vehicle mode is laughable. MMC has a better bot mode than FT's but the alt modes are not quite accurate. The torso on this one is a bit long IMO, but the vehicle mode beats FT's.

I am honestly tired of the Springer wars. Once XTB has released theirs, I hope no company will tackle G1 Springer again for sometime.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    At Mp size, I'm all for more legends options.

7. divinecomedy

divinecomedy JAB-A-WOOOKIE

News Credits:
    Yeah that's what I meant G1 MP sized Springers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blingotron

Blingotron Well-Known Member

Once I see how this turns out and if the QC is good I intend to add him along with Saltus and Apache. One bot for each mode.

9. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep, gotta watch that QC.
    XTB seems to once again be in the regular downward trending part of their ongoing QC graph. They'll do some solid stuff, release something great and then sh!t will start to slip and they'll get worse and end up releasing a terrible POS. That will go on for a bit and then they start to improve again.
    No other company is so... predictably unpredictable in terms of ther QC.
    The question is whether Locke was them again scraping the bottom of the barrel or if they can squeeze out one more stinker before they start to pull themselves back up. It's frankly kind of exhausting trying to collect XTB stuff.

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I don't know Takara's starting to compete with them there.

11. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

Your main point has opened the door so I will walk through it. This is predictable behavior and it is a cycle of poor decision making. FT gained their discipline early on by being slow and methodical until they could figure out how to ramp up and maintain brand and quality. The critical factor here is manufacturing engineering. XTB has always had a deficiency with outstretched goals. XTB has tried to build their brand by decision and then learn how to cut corners where they can. Bobby Skullface has always maintained that Keith is all about the money. I understand this but it is incredibly shortsighted.

The last time this REALLY hurt XTB's brand was during Apollyon and Ollie. That reissue of Ollie irked a lot of us and especially me as the armature on my replacement was broke new in the box. However, apparently it went well with most everybody else. That was close to the same time that Eligos and Ditka came out that struggled to go from 80-100%. At the same time, XTB was sitting on painted prototypes of Dante and DaVinci but shelved them and released Aegis and Paean and Kingorilla and Kingzilla and about a dozen other figures that very quickly reestablished their brand and quality. Then Overheat happened and ultimately Locke. I think Locke really pissed them off because they tried to play that overextend game and it bit them in the ass at the worst time. Look at what they have done to try to rebuild their brand in the last 6 months. You have the reissue coming of Locke and all of these reveals. If this company had not pulled the Overheat and Locke stunt that they worked so hard to overcome from before their brand wouldn't need to be rebuilt. This should have been XTBs coming out party after really dogging it the past couple of years.

EVERYONE is going to be watching them figure by figure from now on and they will be unfairly criticized and they DESERVE IT. XTB chose to do this to their brand. I love a lot of their figures and love a lot of the ones coming out. The cynic in me thinks this is all a cycle that will repeat again and now we have history to support it. Unfortunately, with less players in this arena I am in it for the collection through Zone and even some Return of Convoy so I NEED this company to do what they do.

12. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Wait, wouldn't that also imply some kind of uptick in Takara QC? ;) 
    I agree so much with all of this, except I don't think we can say they will be "unfairly criticised". At this point the criticism IS deserved, after Apollyon's many issues, and Ollie's thighs, and Overheats shoulders, and Boost/Hatch paint mismatches, and Locke's... well Locke's everything... and others I'm sure I missed. Throw in the other brands like KFC and Alien Attack and there's even more paint issues and weak plastic and quality problems. Heck rewind all the way back to their super early efforts like the KFC Perceptor and Soundwave chugs, and this goes beyond a trend and approaches a natural law. Yet this is the same company that gave us great bots like Klaatu, and Paen.
    XTB has done this over and over - impressed us, even wowed us and had us hopefully declaiming "this is it they're gonna turn it around", and then they botch it, again and again. I like XTB, I dare say I have as many of their figures as Takara's, maybe more, they're my number two company after FasToys, but criticism and caution are sadly ALWAYS in order for them. I really wish it wasn't. I want more Klaatu's and fewer Locke's... but hostory and statistics are not XTB's friends.
    And this current barrage of teases coming soon... it makes me scared. Statistically speaking, based on the trends, at least one of those figures teased this month is going to be a stinker. Hopefully though, at least one will be a true gem as well. We just won't know which is which till after they're released!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Nonsensically Sensational! And Vice Versa!

News Credits:
    That’s what you say now but as soon as Takara unveils theirs, you’ll be putting 3 of those on your credit card. “Look guys, I paid $350 each to display one in every mode!”

And to think we used to look to you for your expertise in bidets.

• Like Like x 1
  14. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstood my point "unfairly criticized" and we are saying the same thing. I warned back when they had the issues several years ago that even if they put out a string of really good figures, like they did, they would get criticism because of the bad reputation they built. They deserve criticism NOW but what I am saying is that even if in the future they don't on a figure they are going to get it and deserve what they get again based on that bad reputation they have chosen to maintain. I think we both agree they had that ONE chance years ago to repair their reputation but their repeated disregard has permanently marked them. We will always have to wonder figure by figure. Like you I feel cheated because it is such a waste and never had to be that way knowing they have done much better.

• Like Like x 2
  15. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Yeah, I am still waiting for reviews...

• Like Like x 3
  16. Futureye

Futureye Challenge gravity all day, every day.

If we take a look at this Virtus figure, here are the reasons why i think buying Virtus and painting it with gray paint myself would be more expensive than if toy maker/XTB would make the gray version:

*XTB would have to use only 2 different colors. Gray (the body) and red (the eyes).
    *There would be less painting steps because of using only 2 different colors. -> Compare -> Virtus has at least 7 different colors originally.
    *And if i may determine, the energy vampire (gray Virtus) wouldn’t need any of the accessories.

Those things/reasons came up to my mind first.

17. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Aah, my bad. 100% agree.
    I wanna love XTB stuff, but I'm scared to.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's ok, you've been hurt before! We'll learn to love again!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Daelo88

Daelo88 Well-Known Member

Time heals all wounds

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I'll be awaiting reviews for this one... if they turn out alright, I think this may be the figure that tips me into collecting the 1986 movie cast in MP form... makes more sense than ever with so many of the recent reissues and upcoming figures.

Absolutely gorgeous piece that I'd gladly accept delays on if they could make sure the quality was top notch. I especially love the tail of the helicopter and the shape of the legs in robot mode... none of those felt "right" to me on the other incarnations.

• Like Like x 2