X-Transbots Springer

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Qingtianzhu, Dec 14, 2016.

1. ghostfossil

ghostfossil Well-Known Member

XTB's definitely win over the accuracy and sculpt.
    But I do like the body mass of big spring. Especially arms of xtb look indeed a bit too skinny for me.
    (Maybe not the whole arm, just shoulder armour, perhaps a bit forearm as well.)

2. JayZetaMax

JayZetaMax Well-Known Member

I have the MMC Springer and the Open and Play Big Spring and I agree. The more I see of the XTB offering the more it just looks off.
    I have it paid already but it just don't look right.
    Also I got the face upgrade for Big Spring. It came with a patato face.
    All the extras that XTB added to Springer are not as important as the actual figure.

3. silith210518

silith210518 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I really like the proportions of big spring and the new robot hero version nails everything else, colour and face.

The face sculpt is a really big thing for me, if it's off it irks me and ruins the figure. Never usually a problem with xtb, they more often then not nail them, but the face on virtus the more I see it the more I dislike. The face on the renders though was perfect! Don't know why they changed it tbh, we shall see I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Autobahn Jazz

Autobahn Jazz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be fair triple changers are really difficult to get right, and Springer has odd alt-modes. I think all the 3rd party companies did well with their attempts and each bring something good to the table. Sandstorm is where the real challenge is at. I hope one of these companies gives it a shot. Sandstorm is underrated. (and yes I know UT made a Sandstorm. I am talkin' G1 toon accurate Sandstorm.)

Agree, the better color choices and new head sculpt really take it to another level. The best thing about AirWolf besides the awesome name, is the price. ($71.99 at ShowZ, $84.99 at TFsource, and $89.99 at BBTS.)
    Open and Play -Big Screen vs Robot Hero - AirWolf.jpg

Speaking of colors, I hope XTB figured out the best colors for Virtus.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BreakY

BreakY Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was doing the same thing as everyone here, thinking that Virtus was off in some way. I compared the initial 3d models to the figure, and the dimensions all look right (except that area on the upper chest where the Autobot insignia would go seems a bit too narrow), which told me that it's the coloring of the figure that is purposely making things look off. Like the lack of the yellow square on the stomach definitely makes the figure's torso look too long. The lack of gray in the indented parts of the grill makes it lack depth, etc.

XTB already has a color reference with the reference pic, so if they follow that, shouldn't that do? They nailed the alt modes compared to the rest, and they are soooo close to nailing the robot mode. I really wish Keith and the team luck in getting this right. This is going to be the definitive Springer for me, unless Takara somehow manages to do their version (but QC issues tho...)?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blingotron

Blingotron Well-Known Member

Not sure why I did this but I did. It's a recolor of Virtus to (hopefully) look more accurate in toon colors instead of looking so jaundiced. Not perfect but it's okay IMO. Here are the original picture, the edited version and toon "palette" of Springer. BTW the original image was too overexposed for me so I tried my best to balance it out.
    virtus recolor - original.png springer.jpg
    virtus recolor.png

• Like Like x 25
  7. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    @ibot

• Like Like x 8
  8. DrCalligari

DrCalligari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Beautiful, I'd go with a gray in-between the chest bars to simulate a shadow but that's an incredibly small criticism. In this deco it shines. Well done.

• Like Like x 3
  9. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Chest yellow is too pale tho.

10. Blingotron

It's really too bad they didn't try to make a proper intake grill for his chest. Big opportunity missed. Problem is we won't know if they had the room behind it to even make it like the toon chest. But, here it is with grey in-between.
    virtus recolor grey vents.png

The yellow on the chest is a little different than his shoulders and is supposed to be slightly more pale than the shoulders.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Robyn The Dragon

Robyn The Dragon Woman on the run

News Credits:
    I'm happy for anyone else who likes it- but for me, personally,

The chest is just too narrow and if it was my project, I would scrap the entire chest. All the way down to his pelvis. But I'm a sucker for those barrel chested bots. The lower body is chunky, which is fine but then the chest and abdomen look too long and narrow and the grill just looks wrong no matter how it's colored. It looks like it's sticking straight up at us instead of downward like most other figures will portray. But that's just me. Maybe this is proportionally toon accurate and that's fine. I just don't care for it. I would love to see the project improve though if possible at this stage. Maybe it looks better in person as well which may be a factor.

The angle In which it's standing may be a factor too because you can see that backpack behind it which breaks that mold visual and makes it look oddly disproportionate? Maybe I'm just picky.

I mean really, if this is other peoples jam, then I'm okay with that because I have like 3 springers that I think look great!

12. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    As said in Locke thread. Release THIS @ibot and you win the Springer war.

The sculpt is fantastic and not bloated like the others. It just needs the colours to match.

• Like Like x 7
  13. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yep, but that's relative. Just as an example, you could go with pantone dark yellow on the shoulders and pantone yellow for the chest vs using pantone yellow for the shoulders and pantone 148 on the chest. I'm not saying those colors are his colors specifically, just what I mean about the shoulder color relative to the chest color. With all of those greens being all over the place, I dunno, it just doesn't look right.

14. DrCalligari

DrCalligari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks a bunch! Love the grey!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blingotron

I added some more saturation to the "belt buckle" and grill to match the shoulders better. See if you think that's better. The others are on there too including the original XTB colors.
    Virtus Color Variants.png

• Like Like x 11
  16. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the interior grills look better being a darker yellow than the full grey, just looking like artificial shadow on the yellow colour.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Noice!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. JayZetaMax

JayZetaMax Well-Known Member

They have to change the face color that is the biggest glaring issue I have. I am rewatching the movie right now and his face is not that yellow green.

@Blingotron You are doing gods work. These recolonization you shared look amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Futureye

Futureye Challenge gravity all day, every day.

Yeah, i agree. I think i said it earlier that the chest grille needs more depth. It should be reformulated. I hope XTB has done so during this delay. And i hope there is room enough behind it that it is possible to reformulate it that way that it doesn’t cause any problems to transfomation.

Those yellow shoulders should also be little bigger. That was my second wish.

All in all this figure looks very nice. I REALLY hope they do a good job with this one.

That saturated grille picture what you posted looks nice. That color is very very close what it should look like.

20. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    The GIANT yellow shoulder pads most of them have is an eyesore. Just UT and XTB that got it right.

I'll be honest, if UT didn't have yellow feet and random greys they could have won the battle before it even started. Thinking back I'll have gone through 4 Springers before settling on Virtus. Crazy.

• Like Like x 4