1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

X-Transbots Seaspray

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Qingtianzhu, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Digger

Digger ごはん は おかず

Twitter:
    Or what if when you order a figure they ask you if you would like to upgrade to an accessory pack?

Really? It just looks like a red visor right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

I didn't really care about any of the "that one episode" accessories but when I got Arkose, I liked his gold hand so much that I was compelled to display him with the birds and a little deer figure and I even made a small golden pond for him (just enough for a shelf corner).

• Like Like x 2
  3. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The reality is it probably wouldn't effect the price that much. They're not charging "$X" because the figure costs "$Y" to manufacture. They're charging $X because collectors will pay $X. BW Megatron and XTB Breakdown are the perfect examples of that from the oposite ends of the spectrum.
    The actual manufacturing cost of the add-ons is a pretty small fraction of the total cost, shipping and the cut of profit for everyone in the supply chain.
    Just like the fancy packaging, the bio cards, etc.
    The reason they're included is to make that premium price a little bit more platable as we think we're getting a special extra.

• Like Like x 3
  4. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

The simplest answer is you can almost always get $5 off the price or more through a sale so how much weight do you put on that really? Your greater point has merit and you are definitely not alone and a lot of collectors feel this way. I am personally on the other side but definitely understand your position especially since they are mostly left in the box. Takara is responsible for setting the expectation and ultimately, I think that is the main answer. I see the MP line as the definitive version of the character and these little widgets help define the character as what we really wanted when we first purchased these over 30 years ago. That is clearly what Takara set out to do when they started the line. This isn't about utility, its 100% about feeling. The nostalgia of holding something in your hand that you never have. There is a lot of emotion tied into these. They are exploiting every ounce of that and it is smart. Who the hell cared about MP Cosmos?

Enough people would complain about not having them (I need to get a coronation set for my Maketoys Meteor) that ultimately it would drive a secondary market (Dr. Wu). We always want the price cut, Takara clearly doesn't. Neither does 3P. Think back to Megatron. A lot of people would have been satisfied with the figure and the scope cannon, think Maketoys Despotron. That didn't sell well at $150 but Takara could splash over them at $230 and sell out a reissue even with multiple KOs. Yes, most people bought because it was official but look how much the price went up. There were multiple discussions prior to it coming out of why it was so much more expensive than anything before and would people support it. Asked and answered. Look at the arguments about Beast Wars Dinobot and Megatron now.

Simply put they want to extort this niche market for all they can and will do whatever they can to hit those price points. They have justified reasons for their actions. KOs hurt the market to a degree and everyone here seems to underestimate internal business costs for manufacturers and retailers alike. The biggest driver I believe is that this is a fleeting market that is on a timer. Losing those movies is going to be a huge hammer to the market. Every other year you essentially had a two hour toy commercial that revived the factories and emptied everyone's piggy banks. Market realities always override everything. Nothing happens in a vacuum.

Everyone should watch "The Toys that Made Us." I have been so frustrated on here every time a 3P releases something and someone goes, "I'll wait for Takara MP-85 or Fans Toys FT-62." These are expensive so everyone should only buy what they like but also realize we waited 30 years for this time to come and never believed it would. It certainly has an end and will never come again. There will never be another G1 generation to sell to in the future.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

Or my favourite, this one:

Embarazada - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 2
  6. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

Loving the look of this little guy! :cool: 

I mean, I'd normally go straight to FansToys for build quality, but this guy's chubbier look feels so much more on point to the 'toon model if you ask me.

As with Cosmos, it feels like there's been so many 3P Sesprays this past two years, it's gotten kinda difficult to choose, but in the end - pending any nasty q/c issues - I think my money goes here. FT's felt a little ..... spindly, shall we say?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  7. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Yeah FT was nice and solid but that wasn't the g1 Seaspray I remember and loved. Not everything needs to look heroic.

Good chug 'spray though.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

I haven't got any of their minibots to date (poor plastic quality on Apollyon put me off ...) but their take on Wheelie (Ollie?) always struck me as insanely toon accurate, right down to the slingshot.

Still tempted by that little dude to perch on Grimlock's neck, despite everything I've read about appalling q/c issues. Ultimately not sure it would matter if he just sits up there aiming his slingshot and I don't pose/transform him! :D 

• Like Like x 1
  9. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Honestly I've never had an issue with v2. It isn't the best thing ever but it also isn't the worst ppl make it out to be. V1 I had to disassemble and shave plastic to get it to even transform and I often wonder if ppl just lump them together. That being said v2 also adds heel spurs and waist flaps. Not sure what the going rate is nowadays though.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Porkncheese

Porkncheese Well-Known Member

Looks way better than Fanstoys seaspray. Nice to have some clean legs on this, definitely going to be worth the wait.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

Thanks, I'll look into it. :thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  12. Digger

Digger ごはん は おかず

Twitter:
    It’s definitely more appealing than fanstoys. That boy really needed a sandwich. It just didn’t feel like enough value for the size. This guy is nailing it. And since we probably won’t see the Ace one this the best we’ll get.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Probably a good thing. That had even worse proportion issues than their Cliffjumper with not only tiny arms but a tiny head.

But then ppl actually wanna buy Hellion too and that thing looks ridiculously bad proportionally.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Digger

Digger ごはん は おかず

Twitter:
    Their cliffjumper was trash but seaspray was at least looking like a better made figure.

Also hellion is having a lot of trouble since the XTB one is getting some great reception. But I don’t know how they can deal with those proportions. They’re so fugly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Call me crazy, but my favorite version of this figure made in MP scale thus far is still the one TW produced. Sure he's not perfect and I have zero doubt that some company will inevitably make a better one, but for now he's my collection shelf go-to.

• Like Like x 3
  16. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    You're crazy!!! ;) 

I'd have to say this is one of the most logical times though to say, hey, whatever floats your boat. Or Hovercraft.

• Like Like x 2
  17. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FT's look CHUGgy. They should stick with making bigger bots. That's their specialty. Although admittedly their Warpath looks cool.

• Like Like x 3
  18. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    I sold my Fanstoys one in favour of him. The lack of bicep swivel and wrist rotation is a bummer though so as long as the fun looks close proportionally it'll more than likely take his place.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PsyberianTiger

PsyberianTiger Unknown member

Is this EVER coming out??? I've already lost faith in their Springer ever being made :( 

20. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We have coloured test shots already. It'll be out when it's out.

• Like Like x 1