X-Transbots Savant (Masterpiece Skids)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by TigerBlade, Sep 1, 2017.

1. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Just saw that pic.... MUCH better!!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Maglite

Maglite Well-Known Member

So, besides the mushy face which will soon be fixed, what's the consensus on this guy now that he's been out for a bit? Great? So-so? Meh?

I've been waffling about whether or not I want a Skids in my collection. I don't consider him essential, but I always had a soft spot for that comic story he was in during the Marvel run, and his alt mode is fairly unique.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Enfin

Enfin Destron

Ebay:
    I'm hoping for a V2 where the alt mode's hood is corrected to have the air duct like it should have had in the first place considering the version of the car Skids is based off of has an air duct on the hood.

4. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Moderator

I think he's the best Skids you're ever gonna get in MP scale. He had an issue on some with a floppy arm but I heard XT sent parts to people to fix it if you got one of those. Mine didn't have that issue and while I don't think he's that great a character, he looks great on my display.

• Like Like x 2
  5. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Hm. Gonna have to find a way to get that head without buying Dragstrip. I mean, Dragstrip looks like a nice figure and all, I'm just staying away from MP combiners in general. Hopefully a few buyers will be willing to part with the head a la carte, though.

6. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Try emailing XTB for the face.

• Like Like x 2
  7. XIII

XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am contacting XTB support via email. I have offered to pay for parts and shipping but very much doubt that they will let me purchase or offer me the parts in any way shape or form. In all likelihood, they will say that they do not have extras. I do expect that XTB support is going to get a deluge of similar requests.

8. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He's good, bordering on great. Realistic alt mode (lack of hood bump aside) with an accurate robot mode. The only things that I feel hold him back are his face (soon to be corrected), his cat eye headlights (I keep meaning to fix those but I haven't had the guts yet), and the fact that his thighs are painted die cast that sit right next to his painted die cast feet in alt mode (meaning it's easy for them to bump into one another and nick the paint). His arms are slightly annoying to pose: you have to hold the upper arm while bending or pivoting the arm to keep them from coming undone; but that's pretty minor in my book.

He was actually in several issues of the comic - he had a minor role in the issue where the Autobots invaded the Decepticon base to record Devastator's combination technology where his being distracted led to his wreck and abandonment (really, Optimus? He falls in a ditch but your mission is so important that you can't stop and help him even though by this point it's clear the Decepticons aren't following you?! You can't call your buddy, G.B. Blackrock and ask him to send a tow truck?) which led into his "spotlight issue." After his adventure with Charlene, he took Donny Finkleberg, aka Robot Master, to Optimus to report on the S2 Autobots that had space bridged from Cybertron. He accompanied Donny to search for them and was betrayed into a trap by RAAT and Circuit Breaker and was part of the monstrosity that Circuit Breaker put together to fight Runabout and Runamuck. After that, he faded into obscurity but that already makes him a more prevalent character than Prowl, Ironhide, and many of the other "important" Autobots in the early years of the comic. He is a vital character in my book and I was very pleased to get a good Masterpiece representation of him from XTB.

Oh and his issue, Showdown, is my favorite issue of the comic. So much so, that I was compelled to design and 3d print a Charlene figure to go with him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Yup, I think I will do that. Thanks!

10. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    Make sure you send them this:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Anyone who's after the replacement face for Savant that comes with Xtransbots Overheat PM me. I have no use for it as I don't have Savant.

EDIT:
    @betsuni has claimed the replacement Savant face!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  12. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you. I disagree, though. I think she looks exceptional given the size and the technology of 3d printing. I probably should've posted a photo of the final version I got from Shapeways rather than the prototype that came off of my fdm printer, but I'm not at home and don't have any other photos of her besides this one (final version on the left):

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, some of the sprues didn't come off as cleanly as I'd have liked and the scale was too small to effectively clean them with a knife. Also the tolerances were a little tighter than I'd intended and I didn't wait long enough after painting her to assemble her - you can see where the paint has "torn" at some of the friction points. I also added pupils later but was letting the paint cure here so I'd have an easier time cleaning off any mistakes when adding them (she's small enough that even using a needle to paint her pupils felt too big).

• Like Like x 3
  13. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    That's what I mean. She looks great, especially given the limitations. Your paint work is much better than anything I can master. Too bad something like this doesn't come with Savant.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks! The paint work is actually the weakest part unfortunately. I do alright at keeping in the lines and all of that for the most part (though I did run outside her lips a little on the left side), but I put it on too thick and the shading (hence the tearing) is a bit on the mediocre side. Fortunately, the defects are almost invisible in person but damn the camera just magnifies every one of them :(  It's like the dust all over the surface she's standing on - I didn't even know it was there until I saw the photo. And yet, her pupils needed to be not much larger than some of those dust specks. And I really REALLY wish I'd put on some serious magnifiers and gone at those sprue marks with a tiny file - I thought they wouldn't be all that noticeable but they look hideous in photos. Her right arm (our left in the photo) is broken now, though, so I need to paint up the spare. When I get around to it, I'll be sure to do a better job on the sprues.

And I probably should've put the "I disagree" part in blue text - was mostly just being cocky :cool: 

• Like Like x 1
  15. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    I'd be cocky too if I could design an action figure from scratch.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Please keep us posted on what they say.

17. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    You two should talk :) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    it's got a more prominent mouth but it's not much better loooking than the original i thought we were getting this

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Maglite

Maglite Well-Known Member

Nice work on the Charlene!

I forgot he had more appearances than Showdown and the issue before Showdown. It's been a while since I've gone through the whole US run. Showdown was one of my favorites, too. When I was a kid, I had it in one of those pint-sized digest formats that reprinted #19 and #20. I loved that thing. Wish I still had it. :( 

It probably fell apart. I still have some TF floppies from my youth, and they are in tatters.

• Like Like x 2
  20. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Well-Known Member

I will be offering up my Savant face when it arrives. I have no interest in this figure.