X-Transbots MX Series Berserkars / Monolith (Stunticons/Menasor)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jul 15, 2017.

1. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:

With every new invention like this, Keith might be Commander in Chief of all Chinese Forces soon.

• Like Like x 2
  2. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Ebay:
    I think that you can overcome the weakness in the hips by use of some fishing line and eyehole bolts in the wall.

You just need to loop one line around the waist, one line around the chest, a backup line just under the neck, and a couple backups around the arms. Secure these to the wall.

You might want to loop a couple extra lines around each leg and put up a small fence around the whole thing just in case.

Simple solution.

• Like Like x 5
  3. leo7830

leo7830 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    How do I get ahold of X-Transbots? My shoulders on Overheat just broke.

4. Leonwave

Leonwave Well-Known Member

is that a friction joint in the knees to? lol oh boy

5. Conran

Conran A Kurt Cobain haircut?

Fuck me I think they might just do a v2 of the trailer after seeing the review. Without ratchets those legs will be hilarious. Shit I think I need to cancel a pre order.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Blaque_Ravage

Blaque_Ravage The Beast From The East

yup, I love the look of this Menasor but why no ratchets for his lower body? I wouldn’t mind a delay just to adjust those possible weak points IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  7. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I like it. It's a shame that the trailer is so panelly. Those motormaster faces should've been with the trailer.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Megacluts

Megacluts Well-Known Member

there will need to be a lot of friction for the thighs, otherwise this thing will collapse into a heap

• Like Like x 1
  9. FiveThousand

FiveThousand Well-Known Member

Yes - this concerns me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    The joints don't have to remain strong forever, they just have to be strong enough long enough for Keith supporters to deny that they were a problem in the first place!!!

• Like Like x 4
  11. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only v2 would be a repaint of some sort like the G2 version.

12. Bruticus88

Bruticus88 Bruticus devastate Devastator!

XTB will address this issue in the new ratchet add-on kit in 2030 for and extra $300 USD.

They will also include Gravestone’s new Oh... oh... oh... face too.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  13. rendsora

rendsora Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lol

14. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

I just have the 1st 3 toy versions...this thing is taking so long...and is going through so many revisions...I may just sell them and wait for something better...

• Like Like x 1
  15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I may provide a bit of a counterpoint on the hip ratchet "issue", I would like to note that around 35 minutes into Ben's review, you can see him holding the figure off the ground, and the dangling right leg is unsupported and does not sway or droop. So from that alone, it seems the joint is sufficiently tight enough. There's also the transformation at around 18 minutes, where the legs are propped up in the air unsupported at oblique angles and show no signs of dropping under their own weight (they don't have the cars attached here, though, so they're lighter than they'd normally be). Otherwise, while he complains about the lack of forward/back ratchet, he doesn't show the joint engaged very well to fully judge by. No signs of how well the hips support the upper torso. XTB's social media photos that show more dynamic poses suggest that the joints work just fine, but of course, they're no unbiased source.

There is actual strong engineering logic behind omitting the hip (and seemingly knee) ratchets, however. A strong ratchet mechanism needs an equally strong housing, to be able to withstand the backlash forces of the springs. And when you get figures this large and heavy, you start needing some really heavy duty joints and parts to provide much effect at all. Weak ratchets may as well not exist. With how much of the surrounding assemblies seem to be comprised of thinner panels sandwiched together, it's possible that such a strong ratchet assembly could have done more harm than good, with the toy potentially tearing itself apart under the mechanical strain. Alternately, a ratchet joint strong enough to provide any meaningful resistance could simply have made the leg far too troublesome to manipulate. A sufficiently strong friction joint largely sidesteps those issues. It just remains to be seen that they've done that correctly, making sure the joint is tensioned well enough to begin with, and remains tensioned without deteriorating.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 29
  16. Megacluts

Megacluts Well-Known Member

fair enough

17. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I should note that my defense doesn't necessarily mean I fully condone that design decision. The toy seems a bit over-designed just for the sake of the base mode that is probably going to be seen very rarely, and even then, I feel like there should have been a way to simplify that design to make it more sturdy. But without knowing or following the full design history/process, I'm just spitballing here.

• Like Like x 6
  18. CigarJackal

Ebay:
    So the best way to look at this would be to compare to similar size combiners, as they would need the reinforced housings and strongly constructed joints needed to balance the ratchets.

Do Zeta Superion, Zeta Bruticus or Toyworld Constructor use friction or ratchets? If they use ratchets, how were they able to accomplish that engineering?

19. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    None of those Combiners have transforming waist sections, so they can assuredly house the really beefy ratchet assemblies that I'm referring to.

I don't own any of those figures, so I have no clue how they actually work, mind you.

You can look to Terminus Giganticus, though, for example of what happens to such a heavy-duty joint when all its associated parts aren't appropriately reinforced.

• Like Like x 2
  20. CigarJackal

Ebay:
    Ratchets and the necessary supports are expensive. If Zeta or Toyworld spent the money to put them in (especially Zeta, as they are budget) then they must have had good reason.