X-Transbots MX-IV Abaddon (Galvatron)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Aug 15, 2015.

1. XBurner071

XBurner071 There and Back Again

News Credits:
  2. Senator Magnificus

Senator Magnificus Decepticlone: Politician, Scientist & Fugitive.

YouTube:
    When I first spotted Galvatron underwater I tthought: when did him & Ariel become an item? :p 

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Love how his head still looks like Meg\'s but with a crest.
     Looks really good. Comic accurate angles. 

4. Thundercracker Blue

Thundercracker Blue Well-Known Member

Reading this thread, I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. Because I think he looks positively awful. The smooth, contour-less, sausage-shaped legs, the T-Rex arms, the ginormous Dark Helmet head . . . And the face: the gap between the eyes and the brim of the helmet, and the overall anus-like face - yeesh.

For all their ups and downs, XTB/KFC usually nails sculpts. But to me, this just looks terrible.

ETA: obviously, aesthetics are subjective. Across the board, I’m always fascinated by the fact that a given sculpt can look great to some people and terrible to others.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    Ok

• Like Like x 8
  6. Spark

Spark General Electric

Also in this thread, the realization that some people take the Marvel colors literally instead of just Marvel's best approximation of the toy colors with '80s CMYK. I didn't know that camp existed.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    For the same reason people want "dorito / nacho" Blitzwing, they want accuracy to their beloved transformer fiction no matter how dumb it looks to other people.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Nonsensically Sensational! And Vice Versa!

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Big Hache

Big Hache EVIL! Pure and simple from the 8th Dimension!

News Credits:
    crazypills.jpg

Lol yeah I don't think this looks like XTB's best work, but that's fine.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    That's fine. You don't have to like or buy everything. Personally I love the clean lines and lack of detailing. It's very Takara-esque and they make the best looking figures imo.

Luckily for you there are 2 other MP Galvatrons to choose from. 3 if you count the Open & Play one.

Edit - I don't get the short arm argument though. Looks near identical to mp36 and mp44 next to him and I've never heard them get complaints about short arms. Either way; options.

• Like Like x 8
  11. TransformerFanatic

TransformerFanatic Well-Known Member

XTB also needs to fix those pannel gaps on the legs. The legs need to be perfectly smooth if they're gunna be assymetrical. I'm hoping that this is just a prototyping issue.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Normally that bothers me. The MP Grimlock reissue with the blue parts instead of black just annoys the hell out of me. With Galvatron, though, the Marvel colors are an improvement. They could've approximated the grey reasonably well in comic form but it would've looked pretty drab, hence the blue tone they went with instead. That icy blue with the metallic effect they used in the comic was just stunning.

[​IMG]

Looking at his thigh guards, they could've just lightened that tone a bit for the rest of his body and kept it more toy accurate, but damn, that icy blue just looks amazing. When IDW revisited the Marvel comic, they kept that icy blue instead of interpreting it as just a way to illustrate the light grey of the toy.

upload_2021-8-21_10-55-30.png

And there are changes as well. There's a lot less red on Marvel Galvatron - only his belt has kept its red. The arms are completely purple except for the hands. It's just a damn good color scheme (which is not to say the toy's wasn't - just that the comic colors are different enough to be their own repaint)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  13. ghostfossil

ghostfossil Well-Known Member

Aesthetics are subjective but toon accuracy is rather objective.
    And there is nothing to fascinate about, I can give u definite answer.
    To those people think it's terrible just because of three reasons, they either have no idea what Galvatron looks like in the show, or don't care the g1 look at all, anime/movie styles are what they prefer, and the last one being 'I can't face of selling my ft counterpart half price and I have to shit this inferior one as much as I can!'

• Like Like x 3
  14. Dodgy Dan

Dodgy Dan Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  15. Gaiaknight

Gaiaknight Well-Known Member

For my collection im always looking for the figure that looks as much g1 cartoon as possible and while i love the fanstoys figure i always felt someone could make one that more g1 cartoon like and for me this one nails the cartoon perfect right down to the short cannon in bot mode

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Nonsensically Sensational! And Vice Versa!

News Credits:
    I don’t know, I like Sovereign for my MP shelfplease don’t hurt me…but once I saw that comic color scheme, I was down for it.

I am chilling and observing for now but if everything goes right and the QC is good, I would definitely pick that repaint up and post pics everywhere to prove to @Tazman66gt that we can be frenemies.

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As per Floro Dery's designs, Galvatron does have somewhat atypical proportions compared to most other Transformers.

Via the original Season 1 designs, we're generally used to cubic shoulders, narrow biceps, thick forearms, narrow thighs, with big block boots.

For Galvatron, I've become fairly convinced after heavily scrutinizing his design recently (mostly due to critiques over Kingdom Galvatron) that Floro Dery was largely inspired by a male body-builder physique instead. His legs are more trunk-like, with very little differentiation in thickness between his thighs and calves. His forearms do look short because of how heavily flared his elbow cuffs are - his forearms are almost as wide as they are long, which is very unusual. His torso is very chunky because it somewhat approximates the "wing" shape of over-developed lats, to the point where they do that thing of "swallowing" the shoulders, with Galvatron's ball-shaped shoulders being countersunk into his torso. And of course, the prominent abs.

XTB's design is quite accurate to the original character model. You're just not used to how it looks in 3D because it's both proportioned different from the typical Transformers build, and because you've become accustomed to the design via toys like Sovereign that lean heavily towards more idealized "heroic" comic-book proportions.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Tazman66gt

Tazman66gt Well-Known Member

hey, I like everybody...sometimes, occasionally, every once in a while. Besides, I haven't even put you on my ignore list, so you must be doing something right.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

Pretty hard to beat the FT version. But OMG release this as toy colours! 11F6C9E1-1F45-4099-AF2F-06CA368EAFFB.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  20. RattyBatty

RattyBatty Well-Known Member

just-when-i-thought-i-was-out-they-pull-me-back-in.jpg

• Like Like x 1