Heavy/Scratch: X-Transbots Monolith Youth - CyberUp upgrades

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ponzie, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Ponzie

Ponzie CyberUp lab owner

Being a big fan of Menasor, I bought the Youth Xtb version that reminds me of the toy I loved so much as a child.

However, some details are not so accurate, so I decided to solve the problem myself.

First I edited some images to get a clear idea of what needed to be changed, then I started to draw the parts on Blender.

The exported STL parts were then printed on a resin printer and then painted with an airbrush.

Here is the final work, the first of five:

IMG_2439_lowres.png

• Like Like x 9
  2. Ponzie

Ponzie CyberUp lab owner

The feet shown are very early prototypes and have some defects. I used standard Elegoo Gray resin on Elegoo Mars 2P printer, cleaned the pieces with denatured alcohol and cured with Elegoo Mercury Plus.

Just for testing, I did not sand the pieces but painted directly with Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black (only the left foot of Monolit) and Mr. Metallic Color Purple (not easy to see in the photo, but one foot is lighter than the other) using a Mr. Procon Boy SQ airbrush.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ponzie

Ponzie CyberUp lab owner

Here I used a translucent Elegoo ABS-like resin colored with Monocure3D's CMYK pigment, the result is amazing :D 

IMG_2446_lowres.png

• Like Like x 4
  4. Ponzie

Ponzie CyberUp lab owner

After a lot of work, I have decided that for the time being I will finish the customization like this:

IMG_4539_edit.png
    IMG_4544_edit.png
    IMG_4551_edit.png
    IMG_4522_edit.png

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Ponzie

Ponzie CyberUp lab owner

All the custom parts, except the flat part inside the arms, are made of resin by 3d printing, then colored with airbrush. Only the yellow and silver inner parts of the paldrons were done by brush, and the not-so-good jobs turned out to be.

I also used a sheet of printable vinyl to make the sticker to hide some silver parts and pesonize the side of the legs.

The most time-consuming and stressful work was matching the colors with the existing part of Monolith-a long process of trial and error and repetition. Masking for different colorings of the same part also takes a long time.... It took me 1 hour to make only the mask for the Breakdown window.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
  6. Ponzie

Ponzie CyberUp lab owner

The original idea was very ambitious, to replace almost all the arms and legs and give a more proportionate shape, but I underestimate the whole work that a project like this requires. Also, such work can ruin the statues, in fact a resin leak in the left arm caused discoloration of the Deadend... now I don't know whether to try to repair the paint myself or buy another figure :( 

IMG_0681_Edit.png

• Like Like x 6