Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by destrongerlupus, Dec 3, 2013.
My 1.0 with fixes still going strong
Just got my Ollie yesterday. Overall he's great but I do have a couple minor issues. My copy is pretty loose from the waist down. Most of which i could fix with clear nail polish or superglue, I guess. I also have a problem with the diecast thighs closing all the way. The right thigh isn't bad but the left one has a decent gap and IDK how to fix it other than filing. I'm just too afraid to in case i take too much off.
He's a good looking bot, though. I just wish the thighs weren't jank.
Yeah, I had the 1.0 fixed up to the point where I was happy with it and it was playable, but the 2.0 was such a massive upgrade.
I concur. Having fiddled with a V1 without the fixes, and picking up the V2, it's amazing it looks about the same, feeling very different in hand.
Oh yeah, I don’t doubt v2 is better in probably almost every way — just not a character I cared enough to double dip on though — especially considering I did all the fixes I did for him.
No more loosey-goosey, and he stands straight as well.
I'm having a dilemma here. I got my Ollie from Baba a few days ago but the diecast thighs are really kinda shit and it's gnawing at me. Both thighs don't sit exactly flush but the left one is extra bad and along the seam the paint is pretty chipped so it makes the gap look even worse. Plus the hip ball joints are floppy as F. I thought the later versions didn't have that issue?
So I need opinions from anyone who cares to share one. Should I contact Baba and see if I can get new thighs?
Edit: I contacted Baba but XTB is asking for video evidence of the legs being floppy because I obviously must be lying about the legs being wet pieces of spaghetti. The pictures of the shitty, chipped paint on the thighs and them not fitting together correctly wasn't enough, I guess.
Okay, I need some advice here. I finally got new, properly painted thighs from XTB but I have one issue I can't seem to defeat no matter what I do. My Ollie has insanely loose legs at the hip ball joints. I've tried clear nail polish - failed. I've tried two kinds of floor polish (pledge revive it and water based polyurethane) - both failed. Possibly due to me not giving it proper time to cure, IDK. And just so we're clear, I cleaned off both ends of the ball joint thoroughly between applications so nothing interfered.
Now i'm at a standstill. I've considered superglue but i'd rather not do that. I've also considered applying a very thin coat of UV activated resin to the ball joint post, not the socket. That way it would create a hard little shell around the end of the ball joint post and hopefully give it enough grip to not flop everywhere. The final thing I considered is old fashioned heat (boiled water or hair dryer) to the socket so I can soften the plastic up and squeeze it together a tiny bit to tighten it up without adding all this crap to the joint.
I've always found super glue to be more effective than floor polish; but I know you said you'd prefer not to do that.
This is a bit more janky, but some have had success by just putting a small piece of toilet paper around the ball and then plugging it into the joint. A very non-permanent solution.
I know you've said floor polish, but I've had to use like 6 coats or more on some joints just because that stuff is so thin... it really only takes a minute to dry between coats and then you do let it sit for a much longer period of time before you try moving it around to sort of distribute and smooth it over. Sometimes after that even, you just go put another coat or two on before you set it up on the shelf, never to be touched again
The other thing I've seen people do, but never done myself, is just put in a tiny bit of paper towel in the joint. Just enough to create pressure and friction, but it's paper towel, so it won't degrade the joint. Just use a small enough piece so it doesn't look like a piece of stuck tp while you're walking out of the restroom
*ninjad by @timcourtois haha... sorry, I had the reply open for a while on a conf call typing this out
One thing I forgot to mention is I even tried some plumbers (PTFE) tape but that's nowhere near as thick as a paper towel. I'll give the paper towel a try but it's gonna be hard getting it in there and not be noticeable. Plus there's a open slot on the side of the socket which i'm thinking might mess it up if I move it. Worth a try, though. Probably the easiest to do at the moment.
Edit: That seems to have done the trick for the most part. Certainly good enough for my needs and it's easily replaceable when it wears out. Thanks!
Separate names with a comma.