X-Transbots Mida and Fiorafonte! - G1 Omnibots: AT LAST!!

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by KremzeekTyCobb, Oct 25, 2020.

1. gaseous clay

gaseous clay Well-Known Member

FansProject did do the deluxe Insecticons, though they were just recolors/slight redecos of their normal Insecticons, which is why there's only 3 and no Venom. They redid Shrapnel as Chopshop, Kickback as Ransack, and Bombshell as Barrage, since their insect modes were sorta similar. But since Venom was its own thing, he got left out.

I actually liked the official TR versions of Topspin and Twintwist. I had them as a kid too, and yeah, they were kinda goofy compared to the rest of my collection. But Hastak managed to update the designs pretty well.

But yeah, I think there would certainly be people in for a non-IDW version of Whirl and Roadbuster.

2. Zentropy

Zentropy Needs more greeble

Thanks for the clarification on the FP deluxe Insecticons. I was unaware of the Titans Return versions of the Jumpstarter brothers until you just prompted me to look them up. I agree, those are respectable revisions of the originals. Still not my thing-- I like Earth-sourced alt modes-- but those are nicely done.

I've been waiting on a non-IDW Roadbuster for a while. Fansproject's Revolver looks okay in robot mode, but the alt mode looks like it was built out of Lego bricks. It just doesn't suggest an improvement on the original at all.

3. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

I think the whole toon vs toy argument here is completely lost. There is no toon for these that people clearly identify. Toon vs Toy styling is generally used to HELP define the definitive version of the character. DEFINITIVE going back to MP-1 is about using the real world alt mode and trying to mimic as closely as possible a detailed toon robot mode. For each of these just like initial Takara they have gone back to real world car with working features and lights and paint. In robot mode the only canon really to source is the toy pictures. Lacking further details it only makes sense to use the paint and tampos where possible to give the figure further definition. I think the perfect representation of this is MP-39 Sunstreaker. That figure has all of the original MP flare for real world car and detail and still provided the toon influence and OPTIONS in robot mode. These XTB Omnibots I think relate to that in terms only of style. I think that MP needs to stay in this sandbox when they can. Post 1986 movie figures are ALWAYS going to veer toon because they ran away from Earth-based figures. I think we tend to forget that distinction.

I still hope that some company gives us Roadbuster, Whirl, Top Spin, Twintwist, Punch/Counterpunch, Runabout, Runamuck, Fastlane, Cloudraker, Pounce, Wingspan, and Chopshop, Venom, Barrage, and Ransack. If companies like XTB and Fans Hobby still find some success with these small side groups like Junior Headmasters and Omnibots while Fans Toys is doing all of the combiners, citybots, and larger figures there is the possibility this genre carries on with smaller projects like this that sell decently well. The death of G1 MP is Legends and Bayverse and Beast Wars or later series. As more companies like Maketoys veer in opposite directions with little to no production our chances of new players coming along slowly die. Garatron doing Thunderwing and DNA Design doing Bludgeon were good omens but ultimately flashes in the pan that killed of the possibility of filling out the deeper ranks beyond Headmasters and Leaders. We may wind up with a complete Victory cast, almost completed Headmasters, poorly supported Super God Masterforce, and missing G1 toon elements.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

Naw, the context had changed (the repeated, ad nauseam message, said a hundred different ways that you don't like a thing, and it's imperative for everyone who might like that thing to know that).
    And I'm telling you that we all heard you, and we hope that eventually you feel validated.
    Maybe if enough heavenly angels appear to show you that you have made yourself clear, you will go away.

But, it appears that it's imperative that you keep saying that you don't like a thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

5. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt concern myself over it if I were you. After all, you didnt understand a thing and you keep repeating the same nonsense add nauseam as you put it. I would pray to the same heavenly angels to grand you the gift of reasoning and reading comprehension if I were you, cause after so many times you still fail at this.

Apparently you did take my advice and you hit that head of yours up the wall eh? Nah I kid, you are just that way arent you?

Heres another free tip for you: If you are going to go into a fight, make sure you read correctly and you understood what you are about to oppose. If you spent ten mins reading my posts (HINT: I quoted myself a couple pages ago, just to make it easier to you fools, but I can see not even that helped....) before charging to the windmill like the idiot that you are, you might avoid ridiculing yourself. No feeling to defend myself to simpletons, but for the sake of the thread, and because I dont want the racial IQ to suffer more with each of your posts, ill tell you again: I made no post into which I said I dislike the figures.
    (Bold, Italic, and underscore, in the vain hope your attention span disorder might not take effect this time).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  6. Zentropy

I have to start honestly by saying I've twice re-read your post trying to make some sense of it, but I can't really distill it down to a coherent point. Not saying it's you, it might be that I'm misfiring on a cylinder or two today. The politics of the day have my brain scrambled. Whatever, I'm trying to see your point, to no avail.

True, the Omnibots do not have a toon robot for reference. But even at 10 years old, I could draw up a Sunbow representation of any robot you gave me. Hell, you basically just delete most of the alt mode details (squashing anything that doesn't hug a humanoid figure into a backpack or armour), minimize or eliminate sticker/tampo details, add the ubiquitous TF face, and choose your favorite cartoon silhouette for your basic proportions. Easy enough, done. If anything, the cartoon characters are a gross simplification of the toys, with more heroic and humanoid proportions. The challenge comes in engineering a physical toy that can achieve said proportions and still transform into a recognizable alt mode.

The Omnibots can't really be anything but toy-centric, which thrills me personally. However, it is possible to soften the details, remove/simplify the tampos, and create a toon-like face sculpt to appeal to the toon-centric collectors-- ones who may be interested in buying IF the figure doesn't clash with the aesthetic of their collection. The Omnibots could feasibly be created similarly to the figures made prior to, say, Inferno, or maybe even Ironhide. They could be heroic in proportions but still wear obvious car elements and have an inherent Diaclone flavor to them. Then, similar to what was done with the + versions of MP Bluestreak, Prowl, Sideswipe, et. al., the figure could be altered for a simpler, cartoon look, with a more-Sunbow-less-Diaclone face sculpt (for example, Cordon's vs. Sunstreaker's). In this way, X Transbots wouldn't be leaving out the toon folks. It's almost an opposite approach to what they did with the Stunticon Youth Versions.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pilot00

I really hope the same. I did have the toys as a kid, but frankly speaking, I dont feel any real attachment to the toy versions of MPS, though I have to admit, those versions most of the time, do come closer to what can be considered the true spirit of the character. Well at least they dont suffer from animation errors :lol 

Thats said, I too hope they make them. Variety is good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 80sforged

80sforged Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I did get these guys, they would go with the more hybrid style MP-9/10 era MP's. That is still the era that has the most covered.

9. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

yup if they wanted to they could easily "toonify" or "sunbowize" these designs, using the basic ideas you mentioned. they woldnt' be accurate to anything but they'd fit a certain aesthetic. Granted omnibot fans most likely would go for these toy centric versions over toonified ones but i'm sure there is a niche of fans out there that have been wanting cartoon representations of these off screen characters for yerars too. who knows?

10. pilot00

The mentality/reason here (to "sunbowize" them), I suppose for them to work with toon accurate collections?

• Like Like x 1
  11. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

yup i can imagine there are those out there that would add them to their collections only if they fit the current MP very sunbow aesthetic. i'm a holdover who prefers a more hybrid interpretation (think hasui era) that has some toy/real world/other influences so i very much like these as they are but i think there would be a market for sunbowified versions of these guys too.

• Like Like x 6
  12. pilot00

Ι too prefer the hybrid style better. All of my collection except certain MPs that can go either way is built around that style.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Swindlerfan

Swindlerfan Well-Known Member

omnibots manga.jpg

The Omnibots have a cartoon style design from the old Japanese manga.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Chareos

Chareos Needs New Omnibots

News Credits:
    Here's some toon-ified concepts
    AUTOBOT-Omnibots.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Zentropy

I would call my collection "toy-leaning hybrid". I feel the (original, non-plus) Datsun MPs pretty much nail the aesthetic I'm shooting for. I love MP-17 (Prowl) and MP-18 (Streak). Wheeljack (20) is also excellent. Things start to shift with MP-27 Ironhide. I love the transformation, and given how terrible the original toy was, I feel the robot mode is necessarily more toon-like. However, it becomes apparent with MP-33 Inferno that things are sliding quickly to an animation aesthetic. I own Inferno, but I don't like how plain and sterile he looks, and the ladder-hiding gimmick is fantastic engineering that's wasted on me. I much prefer the MMC mold, so I bought Ocular Max Girder for my "Grapple", which is much more in step with my original Grapple toy (and I don't like the hidden crane). The Sunstreaker MP mold is literally a masterpiece, but I greatly prefer the details and head sculpt of Cordon. I may buy Spinout just to put the head on my Sunstreaker.

• Like Like x 2
  16. pilot00

Μy feelings exactly. I dont own inferno but if I felt the need to own one, I would too go the 3p route. That official one is just too plain.
    Speaking of Mp Sunstreaker....I have Cordon right next to me as I type this.....Let me tell you that I hated my guts of the mold as Sunstreaker, I cant for the life of me tolerate that face. Cordons added detailing to both the head and legs, warmed me up a bit more. I still see a lot of fails in that mold, but both Cordon and Spinout wear it better than Sunstreaker, no question about it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zentropy

Agreed. The Sunstreaker head sculpt and all of its variant expressions are terrible. The Cordon/Spinout one is a perfected version of the 1984 toy's, which I loved. I'm not sure that Spinout's head is worth three figures to me, but damn, am I tempted. My Sunstreaker is literally displayed in my collection wearing a miniature paper bag over his head. Seriously.

• Like Like x 1
  18. pilot00

:lol :lol :lol 

I am still debating if I should dip in on Spinout. I also considered taking on a Sunstreaker KO and paint it in SG colours, molding the Cordon head for it....Probably wont do either, as other figures take priority.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Digger

Digger Cracker-Man

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That one still blows my mind.
    I ordered myself a Spinout just to get the mould for once. Plus it looks sick. He’ll probably look really nice with these guys if I also get them.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Zentropy

I'm on the fence, given that I have Cordon and SS already. But Spinout, being a modern representation of the first Diaclone figure used for a Transformer, has some historical significance within this fandom. The shame of it is that I would be tempted to cannibalize him to provide a decent head sculpt for Sunstreaker. That stupid comedy/tragedy face that comes with Sunny has got to go... I can't stand looking at it.

I may eventually cave and buy Spinout, then paint the Egyptian-mask head intended for Ocular Max Sphinx (which came with Artifex) to go on Sunstreaker. Besides, I already painted Sphinx's stock head to my liking with yellow eyes and blue cheeks, so he's good.