X-Transbots Locke (MP Kup)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Danbot

Danbot Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I think it's fairer to compare to the reissue as they came out at a similar time. Unfortunatley the cost of all transformers has gone up considerably since Koot's initial release. In the UK the Koot reissue was £30 more expensive than Locke.

2. Lester316

Lester316 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    I bought Fans Toys pricing up because often to get these characters in MP scale it will be a choice between the two companies. That makes a comparison relevant because folks may want to judge the level of quality for different price points. Seems obvious to compare them really.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Quality is one thing but parts count, paint and accessories on locke is through the roof compared to koot.

Regardless of which is a better figure, you get a lot more product for a cheaper price with locke.

4. Lester316

Twitter:
    A lot more is a bit of a stretch. A few tiny pieces of plastic that most of us won't ever bother using or will change once and then never change again. Yes the price is cheaper but the overall quality is reflected to a certain extent too. We're actually talking about 2 disappointing versions of Kup though to be fair and comparisons will be more important with other characters.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Dpuff

Dpuff My turkey tastes better than yours

News Credits:
    So part count > quality?
    This seems.....not correct
    Cant wait for v3

• Like Like x 3
  6. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Just got and paid my invoice

7. ShmoopsMcGoo

ShmoopsMcGoo Well-Known Member

Will gift llc?

8. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Accessories don't make up the part count I was referring to. The entire figure is about 3x the part count of koot.

9. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Never said that at all..... The argument was price. Saying this should be cheaper than FT is ridiculous, even if the build is shit th manufacturing costs are still higher due to the paint and part count over koot

10. Lester316

Twitter:
    Interesting; more parts don't always make something better or equal quality wise though. Something could have multiple times the parts but still be constructed more poorly.

If more parts does it for you fair play though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lester316

Twitter:

It is cheaper than Fans toys would be now though... Unless I missed something?

I don't recall anyone complaining about that though. Some of us were making comparisons based on relative costs. For example my point was that XTB products feel cheaper because in general they are and if they want a place in the market they best stay that way. If they try to compete at a FansToys price point then they lose that match-up almost every time.

(Doesn't mean that FansToys stuff should be at the prices it is necessarily though).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Correct

• Like Like x 1
  13. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Well parts count is important. It's how they have managed to achieve a cleaner and more accurate look in both modes whilst having higher articulation.

I'm still not arguing which is a better figure. Everyone has their own preference and all are valid. But those arguing that this shouldn't be as expensive as a FT figure are fucking nuts.

14. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Just opened mine up. It's made me see things that weren't right in v1. Biggest thing is the wobbly waist on the v1 that I've only noticed now comparing them, v2 is solid there and the ab crunch is stiffer too. The feet on my V1 are loose as hell now too, compared to super stiff on v2. Forward and backward thigh ratchets are stronger and hold the diecast in the legs perfectly fine. Something my V1 can't do, they instantly drop. Arm, wrist and knee joints are better in v2 aswell. I've painted the abs grey on my V1 (you can see where it's wearing as I never sealed it) but you can see minor paint differences between the two:

PicsArt_10-27-05.28.58.jpg

I particularly like the illusion of the smaller upper chest in the light blue now. Everything about v2 is improved and I thought my V1 wasn't terrible.

That said v1 is still a decent display piece. It looks good on the shelf. If you literally only want one for the shelf and can get it super cheap, I'd say go for it. Thinking I might paint mine up in the grey colour scheme now.

Oh and it cost me nothing for the actual figure, just postage. Just pointing that out to the Billy Big Bollocks who was here to tell us all that'd never happen a few months back. Your apology is graciously accepted :) 

Edit - I've just noticed a slight two tone in the thighs on v2 on the pics. It's definitely there, but it's not as noticeable on the shelf.

I've not got the Targetmasters out, I use FT's so they'll stay in the box.

Edit 2 - just realised he has plastic protectors on the back of his knee pads that I didn't remove. Doh.

• Like Like x 8
  15. JPrime

JPrime Michael Bay Assassin

Samesies!

16. Lester316

Twitter:

As an owner of multiple FT and XTB products I can easily say Locke should never be the same price as Fanstoys products of similar sizes. Overall it feels cheaper than FT stuff plus FT stuff (even though I generally like it) is overpriced.

That all said it is cheaper so that's OK.

Also why would you argue Locke should be more expensive? Isn't it nice to have an adequate quality cheaper option than Fanstoys?

• Like Like x 1
  17. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    One more pic from me:

PicsArt_10-27-05.54.28.jpg

Kup tell more war stories!!

• Like Like x 12
  18. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    He's already clarified multiple times, and you keep having a different conversation:

It's not about the perceived "quality" the fit, finish, and over all "feel" of the figure.

Expecting this to be cheaper than Koot, based purely in the amount of plastic and diecast, and paint, in the box, is the point in question.

Locke simply has more parts and paint than Koot. That's not an opinion, or subjective, it's just a fact. And by deafult, that increases costs.

Whichever figure you feel is the "better" figure in this, particular instance, is irrelevant. It's just comparing manufacturing costs.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Jersey_Steel

Jersey_Steel Well-Known Member

I believe he is just trying to state that the XTB has more parts and more engineering which typically means it cost more to produce. He isn't referring to overall quality and if anything this is probably where xtb cuts some costs to balance the extra costs of parts and engineering.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lester316

Twitter:

He said it should be more expensive because of parts. My question there about arguing for it to be more expensive isn't about parts or the comparisons in value of them; it's about the clear fact that Locke isn't as expensive so why would any customer want it to be more expensive.

Do you take a trip to Sainsburys and insist they raise the price of something because their competitor's version is more expensive or because you believe the quality is higher? Or are you a normal person who is pleased something you want/like is cheaper than alternatives?

It's nice that something is cheaper; gives us options and choice.

You can argue parts and paint all you like but if we do and the prices of an XTB version and a FT version were the same (as people seem to want) I'd take the FT 99 times out of 100 because generally the build and finish are of a higher quality. When something is cheaper (as in this case) it's nice to have the option to save money and choose otherwise though.