X-Transbots Boost and Hatch (not MP Windcharger and Tailgate)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by LazyAza, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That does look sweet TCracker! Thanks for posting!

I can't wait for the 'toy' version in a few months :) 

2. JDolnaq

JDolnaq Constructicon

Ebay:
    XTB really seems to nail the aesthetics of these characters. Glad to see the GC continually improve. Looking forward to future releases!

3. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He shows up briefly alongside the other S1-3 minibots during the Trypticon attack on the Ark during Five Faces of Darkness, right as S3 kicked off. He kind of disappeared after that.

4. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, it was part 5 of 'Five Faces of Darkness' to be exact. That was also the only time Swerve was ever shown as well.

5. Exousia

Exousia Lost Lighter

News Credits:
    I have to disagree. An elegant transformation is one thing, but a simple one is usually lazy and doesn't look as good. Especially when you're dealing with figures that compress for one mode.

Which isn't to say that a transformation can't be overly complex. They sure can. Though in Boost and Hatch's cases, it looks like the only part that's complex is the leg. It really seems like there should have been an easier way to accomplish that. The rest of the transformation seems pretty straightforward and intuitive. Likewise the only really tricky part on Apollyon is his arms.

Of course, complexity and difficulty are relative. I know I've said this more than once on these forums, but I still have yet to [personally] encounter a transformer that is nearly as complex and frustrating as almost any Macross DX Chogokin figure. The trick, really, is to find that sweet spot between clever complexities and smooth elegance. Smartly done complexities shouldn't be frustrating. They should still be intuitive, if not instantly obvious.

By compare, Arkose's leg transformation looks, to me, like the good kind of complex. While Boost and Hatch's legs/feet look like the bad kind.

Please stop saying Keith. Keith is the bossman, the businessman, the guy who keeps things running. He's not the designer (at least on these, that's 539 Designs), and he's not, as far as we know, the floor manager of the factories he has his finger's in. We also don't know the exact relationship he has with XTB. We know that XTB works with KFC to some degree, but not the specifics. XTB could be a subsidiary, a sister company, or just share resources with KFC.

We do know that XTB is their own factory, which doesn't seem to be the same one that Keith uses for KFC's products.

Which is the thing. 539 Designs, well, designs, might not be the simplest or easiest to transform, but they tend to look pretty dead-on to the character's they are "homaging". IMO, out of all the 3rd Party designers, he's the one that's come closest to designing what looks like a perfect fit with Takara's official MPs.

There's no question who Ollie, Apollyon, Andras, Boost, Hatch, or Arkose are standing in for. And there's no question that they fit alongside MPs, at least in terms of look.

6. Skrunklemin

Skrunklemin cool dude attitude

Can anyone with Boost flip those heels in and snap a pic please? I'd love to see what the final looks like with that.

7. porkchop123

porkchop123 Well-Known Member

I purchased Hatch from BBTS. He seems to match the toon colors. I will wait for the repaint of Boost which looks to be more toon accurate that this first release.

8. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Wow! That's one beautiful bird! Too bad the white on Hatch doesn't look as good. Now I just need a black KITT version to go with my "Official MP"

[​IMG]

9. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    *cough*

MP05, MP09

*cough*

Pretty sure Spotter has been complained about transformation wise too. I agree there are figures that have sweet spots, MP Bumblebee and Maketoys Grapple/Inferno are good examples but it's a figure by figure basis not company by company.

To everyone else. I said it before, I'll say it again. Watch the designers video for the feet. Bescollectables has done a clear one too. It doesn't feel fragile but if you need help it's easier to see where things go.

10. blurrr-ed

blurrr-ed Well-Known Member

If the most they do is look like characters on the shelf, then pass. Ive recently bought DX9 Terror and MT Iron Will, they are not slavish to G1 at all, but they are fun to play with, they dont just stand on a shelf for completion sake. XTB just isnt stepping up their game in terms of quality of the play, and until they do Id rather save the money

11. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm in no way saying Takara (or Maketoys or Fanstoys) nail it every single time. I have nightmares about transforming MP Megatron. But I most definitely think Takara gets it right the most consistently.

12. Red leader

Red leader Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with Banjoted, Boost looks great on the shelf and I'm still tempted by Hatch but the leg and hand transformation leave a lot to be desired, the spoiler and rear lights have both fallen off mine which was sorted with a dab of super glue but overall I don't think most people picking it up will be as understanding.

XTB are nearly there, Andras was great, Inferno looks amazing and if they can nail the minibot scale they will be a must buy.

Look how far things have come since Krank and Stax

13. LordEvilElmo

LordEvilElmo Active Member

Boost and Hatch are really cool in-hand. I was on the fence having had an Ollie break on me, but these guys are much more solid; the plastic doesn't feel like it is flexing to the point of snapping suring transformation.

I found them a royal PITA to transform though. The arms really required some force to release and you have to push componants to uncomfortable levels (Esp. if you experienced Ollie). The feet are pointlessly complicated and tabing everything together was a chore.

Bad transformation aside, they look amazing in both modes; if you want display pieces, they are fantastic.

14. Extrazero

Extrazero Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm getting them both as display pieces, so I'm cool with this. Just waiting on a ship notice from BBTS.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I agree with this. I'm not a fan of TFs with a million little steps, who fold and unfold like origami. I like something that feels solid, quick and satisfying to transform. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of "accuracy" to achieve that.

That is one thing about the XTB things... they seem a bit too complicated. But then, if they weren't, would people be complaining even more about accuracy? I do appreciate the realistic alt modes, and the fact that they've been getting pretty great-looking bot modes too (Ollie looks great, at least).

I think the MP market has gotten really obnoxious in terms of the addiction to accuracy, and the result ends up being weaker toys in a lot of cases. Some of the best-looking 3P figures out there are the ones that take some liberties, I think.

I also think that it gets difficult if you're trying to actually get repaints out of characters. Boost and Hatch here are one example... Windcharger and Tailgate's design were so different (despite being based on the same toys) that they actually could have been completely different molds. I think Brawn/Outback have this issue too, as well as Hoist and Trailbreaker. Pipes and Huffer worked out well for collectors because the XTB Pipes and Cubex Huff seem to have that covered.

zmog

16. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    Why does BBTS have this listed as "Toon Version"? Is there a toy version coming later?

17. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Correct. Toy version in April

Attached Files:

18. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    Nice!

19. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

tje faceplate does not work on the currently shipped Boost figures, correct?

20. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

correct