X-Transbots Aegis (Trailbreaker) and Paean (Hoist)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Digger

Digger Collecting with the goal of no end

News Credits:
    Twitter:
  2. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't recall TB ever being charcoal grey - is this another animation error that people take as a canon like Starscream's wing logos being upside down.

3. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

All original 3 Seekers insignias are upside down in bot mode of cartoon, that is actually correct.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MrLemming

MrLemming Well-Known Member

He kind of switches back and forth from a dark gray to almost black (you know, the typical Sunbow 'quirks' in animation as well as how heavily shadowed he was in the scene), but predominantly the dark gray.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Optimis prime

Optimis prime Well-Known Member

Isn't the wing logos always upside down?

6. Max Tower

News Credits:

I might be considered "Correct" in the sense that they did it on purpose and that it wasn't a mistake like drawing the wrong faction logo on someone or having Bruticus in the same shot as the Combaticons.

This page has the original Instruction on it lower down the page : Decepticon Jets Starscream (Transformers, G1, Decepticon) | Transformerland.com - Collector's Guide Toy Info

You can see here that the original toy art has the logo on the proper way up in both the art and the instructions. I get mildly irked by Takara thinking they are being clever by putting the logos on some toys on upside down. I would mind as much if the character had an additional logo on their chest or should but this is their main logo so it's kind perculiar that this was never corrected except very infrequently when they were randomly the proper way up - it's like some of the animation studios working on the show realised they were the wrong way up and correct it and the other simply didn't much care. I think the logos look better in jet mode too all pointing fowards it doesn't spoil the visual flow then either. When it comes to putting stickers on any "Seekers" I can assure you I don't put them on the Sunbow way.

Good to know - at least they didn't just make it up then - I only really reall him being Black ; but then I don't really recall him doing much of anything other than in MTMTE/Arrival from Cybertron anyway. with the iconic "It beats walking scene"

I did find a shot online of him looking Grey mind - but perhaps the oversaturation or the choice of shade is more of an issue of it looking a bit to grey as if it was like a slate grey i'd likely not even have noticed :

I agree with the earlier posters lament about not including both heads though I think when there is such a distinction in design and expressions it's nice to provide alternative heads for those who want them - I think one could quite reasonably assert one's own head cannon that the TOY face is some sort of Battlemask warn over the default face (like with Bumblebee)

7. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Technically no-one and nothing in G1 was actually black because cell animation of black produces a featureless sillouhette with no details. Tires were grey, space was blue. Just as silver was painted as white, clear windows were blue, so black details were varying shades of grey. And in line with the toon accurate colour concept, that means TB is grey.
    Whether or not someone likes it is a seperate point, but given the source and the deliberate choice of a toon aesthetic, the grey is accurate.

• Like Like x 4
  8. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

If silver was painted as white.... what was white painted as ? How can you differentiate the different with out context ? Like we know chrome bumpers would have been silver and white was used instead.. but white faces, thighs, hands ? people assume they were silver and white was used but how do we know they werent just white.

9. Max Tower

News Credits:
    White was sometimes cellshaded to give the impression of being shiny (or see the reflections in Prime's Bumper in The Transformers : the Movie) Plain white is just lazyness.

Yes I realise that people argue about this sort of thing- it's a bit like in comics where something is shaded with Blue and people argue if it's supposed to be Blue or Black. (example The X-Men character beast in his furry form) as for Trailbreaker - I think this toy is a little TO GREY - if it was a little darker I'd likely not have noticed at all.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Who the fuck cares if someone else prefers white over silver? Or vice versa.

Just buy what you want. It's not like you haven't got options.

Man. This fandom will argue the toss over the silliest little things. I'd kinda understand if the white one was the only option but it isn't. It's the only white out of 4 silvers. If anything it's a good thing we have a different choice now.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @TigerBlade is 100% right and its something that the anti-toon crowd don’t seem to understand. Those who want a toon accurate deco don’t care whether the white was meant to be white or chrome. They don’t care whether the windows were meant to be blue or clear. They don’t care if it was black or grey. They want it to look like the toon looked. Plain and simple. The toon showed white, toon accuracy deco shows white. The toon showed grey, toon accuracy deco shows grey.
    It’s a distinctly different desire to that of those who want realism, or those who want toy influences or those who want diaclone. And it’s just as valid. There are options in black, now there’s an option in grey.
    Toon accuracy doesn’t care about context. Doesn’t care about “logically the bumper would be silver”. Toon accuracy wants it to look like the toon.
    13DE4EB1-1A50-4B9F-AB1B-C67AB8930A19.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  12. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Oh I wasn't disagreeing at all. I'm in agreement. All I was getting at is we always see people say they used white in the toon as silver. In my eyes, white it white. Meant to be silver or not.... it's white.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Digger

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    For sure. When you say “it was representing...” you’re beginning to put your own interpretations and expectations down. To me, it’s easier to accept what it was showing and that if someone I gonna make a toy it’ll probably look like that. Hopefully that toy also looks good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We know by looking at the G1 toys they were representing. If the part was silver on the toy and white in the cartoon, then the white represents silver. I'm not really sure what you're asking here, though. Is this in defense of using the toon colors on figures? Because we always knew what colors they were representing. We knew that Optimus' grill, smokestacks, and waist/thighs were silver/chrome. And we knew that Jazz's car body was white. It's not open to interpretation what they representing because we only need to look at the toys to know exactly what that was.

That's not to say that MP figures shouldn't use the toon colors rather than the original colors they were representing. I mean I personally think they should use the real colors and that MP figures should be the ultimate idealized version of the character as they would appear in the real world, but that's just my opinion (something something Lebowski). I'm just saying there's no point debating what the colors represent - the only consideration is just how literal you want your toys of these cartoon characters to be. My personal preference for more shiny metallics probably has something to do with growing up with the comic more than the cartoon - the characters looked almost chrome plated in the comics, especially the later issues - and with my wanting them to look like the characters running around in real life.

Here are some admittedly hand picked examples of the extreme metallic look from the comic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

.... damn I want a comic colored Galvatron.

• Like Like x 2
  15. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    tenor (9).gif

That and a toy coloured Magnus please. Will go nicely with my mp10+ and mp36+!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Too bad they don't have redeco plans for it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Digger

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Do you just mean likelihood or confirmation?

18. Evolv3d

Evolv3d Well-Known Member

I directed the question at ibot in an earlier post, but nothing yet.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Digger

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Right okay. I don’t really mind to be honest.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    No plans as far as I know. I asked some time ago and that's the response I was given.

Maybe we can change their minds?

I say if you wanna see these, post! Let's tag ibot, and maybe we can get these made!

• Like Like x 1