X-men: Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Red Goblin, Dec 5, 2013.

1. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Thanks, BattleUp.

Didn't read your spoiler-tagged bits, but everything else confirms what I've been hearing from other reviews -- good, but not great.

It's disapointing, especially after getting DOFP, but I suppose it's expectable -- a conflict with Apocalypse is a big "dumb" action movie, and light on those great character moments.

2. JokerFC

JokerFC Gaelic Hardcase

Ebay:
    seen this last night.

As usual Singer missed a ton of opportunities but managed to get a lot of stuff done VERY well.

I enjoyed it as much as I did DOFP I must say. McEvoy & Fassbender act their socks off in this too.....they really do.

3. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Hm... The spoilers that I've read have left me less than enthusiastic about this latest movie. I come into this thread and read about what I've heard elsewhere. I love summer blockbusters, so I'm going to go see this movie. I'm just lowering my expectations.

Who would've thought that the best movie of the year -- so far -- is a movie that was released in February.

4. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    so Jubilee isn't in this then? I was told that the only scene she is in is when they go the mall and p,at video games at the arcade and she doesn't need quarters to play the games.

5. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    She is in the theatre scene and a few other scenes. Very few lines though.

6. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Saw it, enjoyed it. Certainly wasn't as good as DOFP, but I think the reviews are being a little bit harsh, probably because it isn't Civil War level in quality so being in the cinemas at the same time isn't great for it.

My favourite thing was definitely
    Jean creating a Phoenix Raptor! About freaking time that big bird showed up in the movies, it really makes me once again sad about the mess that was The Last Stand. Still, finally actually having Phoenix be Phoenix is a good thing in my eyes.

I think the only think that really irked me was the lack of depth for Angel, Psylocke and Storm and that Jubilee was basically unused. She did absolutely nothing of note and never even used her powers! Also
    Magneto's involvement with Apocalypse was a bit much for me. His kill count of innocent lives would be in the hundreds in this movie and he causes MASSIVE destruction but because he made a heel-face-turn at the end they blame it all on Apocalypse and he gets off completely free? Hm. It wasn't quite Last Stand levels of Magneto being OOC, but I wasn't massive on it.

7. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Disappointing movie, had some good parts, but it just felt like a whole lot of nothing? Almost the entire final fight was spoiled in the trailers, and coming off Civil War's airport action sequence, the action felt a bit hokey and dull.

8. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I heard from many the film was "OK". Not bad, not great. Just ok.

Sounds like a redbox movie or a $5.50 matinee film.

Also I heard Apocalypse was just a dumb "i'm going to destroy the world" bad guy and they could have used any bad guy and nothing would change.

What a waste.

So jubillees big scene gets cut for the third time! She is the wasp of the x-men films. Singer must hate her. He cut her big scenes out of three films now!

9. vproject

vproject Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just came back watching it. I would havr to echo most of the responses that the movie was good but not as entertaining as Civil War was.

Also, the after credits scene flew 99% over the people's heads You can feel the collective "Duh?" from the audience. Fox should have just put Deadpool on there...lol.

10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  11. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yup, this is one movie that the critics got completely wrong. X-Men: Apocalypse may not be as good as the two previous installments, but it makes up for its shortcomings with its non-stop action and amazing visuals. Despite not being his best performance, Oscar Isaac plays a very intimidating Apocalypse. The new cast also does a great job, especially Sophie Turner as Jean Grey. And I couldn't agree more with Jubilee...

The Empire Strikes Back is still the best of the Star Wars trilogy.

Oh yeah, this seals the deal on Quicksilver's sequence...

Also, Jean Grey is right about one thing...

The third film is usually the weakest in a series.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  12. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    So...what's the deal with the U.S. getting this movie AFTER almost everywhere else has already seen it? Is it just because Captain America: Civil Warwas released overseas earlier, too? Is that the plan, to just wait a month or so afterward?

o_O 

13. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it seems that most blockbuster films are all getting international releases then USA.

Many of these films seem to be more profitable overseas than here in the US. So to cater to that trend, we get the films one week later.

The thing that sucks is that this leads to more bootlegs being more readily available,pivotal scenes showing up on youtube and that a lot of everything is spoiled to a greater extent.

Unfortunately, I don;t think this trend will reverse anytime soon.

14. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Questions:

1. As a former Nazi concentration camp survivor, why did Erik settle down in Poland, of all places?

2. I know that Havok's powers are lethal, but is destroying the Blackbird's engine enough to blow up the entire X-Mansion? Also, wouldn't the walls of the Cerebro hallway be resistant enough? after all, it used to be a fallout shelter.

3. Why did Stryker take Moira along with Beast, Mystique, and Quicksilver?

4. Cyclops, Jean, and Nightcrawler teleported into the helicopter carrying Beast, Mystique, Quicksilver, and Moira, but ended up in a cage that dampened their mutant powers. How did they get away once they arrived at the Weapon X facility, especially since Nightcrawler's teleportation power emits a foul odor? Furthermore, why didn't they take the unconscious X-Men with them?

5. In order for Apocalypse to acquire Professor X's powers, he would have to transfer his soul into Charles' body. Wasn't he aware that Charles is crippled? Didn't he have a more sensible means to steal Charles' powers?

15. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1.) as someone who has holocaust survivors in her family some of who live in Poland, Poland was their home, that's the way they view and they survived it's a badge of honor.

2) Havok has powers that are nuclear/radioactive am I correct on that, besides it seems like the blackbird did most of the job of exploding the mansion.

3) because he can and he's a dick. Maybe just to show her he can wave his government oauthority over her government authority just cause he can.

4). Three of them and four unconscious rather heavy xmen can you carry one let only at least two or three for the others that can't?

5) maybe his cripple ness is something that he could fix being a god and all.

16. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

17. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Probably has a lot to do with the US not being the only country in the world. Lots of these Blockbusters pull serious bank overseas.

Movie still looks and sounds very meh, and I'm sad Singer took the franchise back from the heights it soared to with First Class. Still gonna see it this weekend though.

18. ILikeSoundwave

ILikeSoundwave Stunticon

News Credits:
    Is Angel dead? Because I saw someone say he's not.

It'd be a waste of a character if he's gone.

19. JokerFC

JokerFC Gaelic Hardcase

Ebay:
    its hard to say.........you have no real confirmation either way.

20. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    they leave it open to interpretation (and contract re-negotiations, lol)