X-Men 97: The Animated Series

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Omegashark18, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Ah, that's it. Honestly couldn't remember which issue it came from. Just remembered it being at the end of the 2-issue Mojo arc they did.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I wonder if the publicity for this show will be enough to push Disney for enough of a partnership with Capcom to re-release "Children of the Atom" and the VS games.

Maybe not. "Marvel VS Capcom: Infinite" did the one unforgivable crime in the eyes of The Mouse...it failed to turn a large profit.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Didn't it fail to turn a large profit in part because there was almost no X-Men characters on the roster?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    From what I've heard Disney is very much to blame for Infinite's lack of being profitable. Many of the issues people had with it were Disney mandates apparently.

One of the reasons yes.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Yup. I squarely put the blame of MvC:I's failure on Disney. The funny thing (IMO), is that during that era it seemed like Disney was invincible and could dictate anything they wanted from Capcom (or any other game developer). OH! How have the tables been turned. Disney-Marvel is at its lowest point and Capcom has had immense success with Monster Hunter, Res Evil and Street Fighter 6. And with SF6, they've proven that the best way to develop a successful revamp of an old franchise is to let the developer do the work without meddling.

At this point, Disney needs Capcom more and I don't think Capcom is super motivated to touch that partnership any time soon though because (a) Disney is still a very fickle, unreliable partner and (b) they probably don't want to oversaturate the fighting game market (and thus harm SF6) with another high profile fighting game franchise.

I hope we'll eventually get another MvC game though. I don't think a new game is a farfetched idea but the longer SF6 remains a burning hot game, the further away that possibility becomes.

• Like Like x 2
  6. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    X-Men '97 - Gambit Photo.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  7. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Yeah it’s pretty suspicious how they so selectively toned down some characters. All the male characters are still drawn with suuuper tight spandex revealing every single contour of their bodies, yet the females (especially Rogue) have been redesigned to obscure their shapes as much as possible. If you’re gonna do those kinds of redesigns, then why not do it across the board? Or better yet, just leave them all as they were.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I guess it's a good thing that the state of Rogue's ass is the biggest complaint I've seen so far that's not some random offshoot. Either that or some of us need to get outside and meet a real woman. Take your pick. No judgment here. :lol 

• Like Like x 6
  9. Wreckneck

Wreckneck Well-Known Member

At this point, you have to wonder whether that decision came down to the creatives working on the show, or Disney's execs given their whole "forced feminism" shtick they like inserting into Marvel stuff these days.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    Rogue had a fat ass for like one scene in the original you dummies.

• Like Like x 9
  11. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Well, while the Apocalypse scene is the most prominent and most memorable, there were other scenes where she had a pretty prominent backside. Not to mention her frontal endowment seems to have been toned down from the original cartoon as well in general (not just her chest but her abs) if you compare shots. Now, myself, I'm not up in arms about it. It is what it is. However, it seems like a weird hill to die on for either side of the discussion. The original show seemed to pride itself on getting the characters' looks as close to how they were drawn in the comics and that included their anatomy (notice Jean and Storm were always more toned down than Rogue... same in the comics) so it does seem weird that they'd choose to go this route for whatever reason they've decided it's a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TaintedPiffy

TaintedPiffy Well-Known Member

There has been some ridicule-worthy fake outrage over the X-Men over the years, but this might just be the single dumbest "issue" yet.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Fenrys

News Credits:
    That and the changes to Morph are the biggest complaints I've seen, and the changes to Morph better align with the Exiles version in my opinion, so those changes make sense to me. There's other complaints I've seen, but they might be too political for these boards, so I'll just say that a lot of the complaints are pretty ironic considering the entire theme of X-Men has always been civil rights.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Agreed. The X-Men have always been an allegory for civil rights, persecution against the 'other', etc. If those things bother someone than they never understood the point of the X-Men to begin with. There's always been deeper meanings at play.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Fenrys

News Credits:
    100% agreed. Also, a funny tidbit about the changes to Morph's character design to align with the AoA/Exiles design. There's evidence in the old show, particularly the 2 parter One Man's Worth, that Morph's appearance isn't their natural appearance.

The AoA Morph design appears sitting sitting outside the resistance base at one point
    AoA Morph.jpg

While a more "normal" looking Morph can be seen piloting a vehicle beside Magneto
    Morph.jpg

This could indicate that like the Exiles version, Morph in the Animated Series has always had the featureless pale skin and merely copied the appearance of another person for a more human looking appearance. It's nothing concrete for sure, but 2 Morphs existing alongside each other in the bad future of One Man's Worth is a loophole they could exploit to facilitate the change.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But wait! The animators clearly don’t have a problem drawing the boobs!

IMG_0584.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Me as this debate continues
    IMG_0584_02.png

• Like Like x 11
  18. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  19. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    This isn't the first time I've seen a reference like this or a general complaint about the women's faces, particularly Rogue's. I don't see it and really like their new designs.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    For me, it's not about the face and more about having fun with almost the exact same shade of neon orange for the lips.