WTF @ TFW - 643 - April 15 2024

Discussion in 'WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast' started by Vangelus, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WTF @ TFW - 643 - April 15 2024

image.png
    As the Eclipse comes and goes, Vangelus and TJ bear witness to an event only hinted at in the spreadsheets of yore: Aaron has finally fallen down the darkest of rabbit holes with no way to come out. At least he's able to record a couple of podcast episodes from down there.

Notes from the Hive:
    • As always, you can find our hosts on BlueSky and Elon's nightmare social media platform under the names @Vangelus, @TJOmega and @aksmth. Some say they roam ever corner of the internet, nomadic in their ways.
    • Aaron's Diaclone adventure hasn't been split up and specifically timestamped like typical haul gets, solely because I legit couldn't keep up with when he transitioned from one toy to the next.
    • Jesus CHRIST, Aaron.
    • Malunis posted their Shard creations over on Musksite! Check them out here and here!
    • Month four is wrapping up for our team's Extra Life Fundraising, and so far we're at over $1,185 raised for various children's hospitals! Vangelus' continues to do his deathless Elden Ring adventure, Aaron's been doing his usual thing with the in-person grind, and even your friendly neighborhood editor Bees is playin' Game Roulette. You should probably donate to help the children. They would donate to you if you were sick and also had a job. Except Derek. That kid's a jerk.

---

Timestamps, you little scamps:
    [0:00:00] -- [INTRO] Bark At The Moon
    [0:02:18] -- [ACQUISITIONS] Transformers Legacy United Voyager Class Animated Universe Optimus Prime (Transformers: Generations)
    [0:22:28] -- [ACQUISITIONS] Voyager Legacy United Cybertron Starscream
    [0:36:56] -- [LISTENER QUESTION] The Collector Market Shift
    [0:51:56] -- [ACQUISITIONS] Leader Legacy United Sandstorm
    [1:13:11] -- [ACQUISITIONS] Deluxe Legacy United Shard
    [1:29:47] -- [ACQUISITIONS] Voyager Legacy United Silverbolt
    [1:39:47] -- [ACQUISITIONS] Core Legacy United Cheetor + Tazmania Kid
    [1:43:36] -- [LISTENER QUESTION] Less-Than-Ideal Headcanons
    [1:50:47] -- [ACQUISITIONS] Deluxe Legacy United Gears
    [1:56:36] -- [ACQUISITIONS] Diaclone Polsche 935 Turbo?!
    [2:00:39] -- [ACQUISITIONS] Voyager Legacy United Thundertron
    [2:05:40] -- [ACQUISITIONS] Gamer Voyager Starscream
    [2:15:13] -- [INTERMISSION] IT BEGINS
    [2:15:49] -- [DI-A-CLOOONE] Aaron's Magical Diaclone Reboot Adventure
    [3:10:14] -- [OUTRO] guh

iTunes users - You can subscribe to and review the podcast here! Please remember that the only acceptable review score is a 5/5, anything else is imperfection:
    iTunes Store

Zune (Memorial) user- You can still subscribe here, our lone stalwart champion.
    zune://subscribe/?WTF@TFW=http://wtf.tfw2005.com/feed/podcast

The RSS feed can be found here, with a link to the show file:
    https://www.tfw2005.net/podcast/WTF_TFW2005_-_643_-_April_15_2024.mp3

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. An Army of Bees

An Army of Bees WTF@TFW Podcast Editor Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    If only there was a second episode of Diaclone to be had.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Noisemaze Collector

News Credits:
    Aaron should buy more Diaclone

• Like Like x 1
  4. DaveWire

DaveWire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh no, did Aaron fall down the same rabbit hole as me? I just bought another Diaclone set. DA-95/100 are the centerpiece of my entire Transformers collection now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. weevil

weevil CHUG Fan!

News Credits:
    Is Diaclone a worth to collect?

6. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

Out of context: absolutely, they are amazing toys
    In Context: damn these are expensive amazing toys. If you're only dabbling you better pick something that SINGS to you.

I highly recommend act 1 of their Gridman Collab.

• Like Like x 3
  7. DaveWire

News Credits:
    What @Requiem Prime said. They are gorgeous. They are pricey. They are the some of the best things that TakTomy has ever made. And if this is something that matters to you, they actually scale very nicely with Generations scale stuff. They have tons of cool tricks, they’re modular, and they’re endlessly fun. You can create all sorts of fan modes for them and the more figures you have in the line, the more you can mix and match to make cooler and cooler stuff.

But again, they are expensive and some of the older figures have more than doubled in price so tracking them down can be a pain in the bank account. I’ve seen the Battle Convoy upwards of about $600 and that’s before shipping.

So yeah, do research. Be selective with what you go for. Check Mandarake.

DA-95/100 which form a modern version of the classic Diaclone Great Robot Base (which you’ll recognize from the Diaclone logo) is far and away better than any Titan Class toy we have ever gotten. But altogether it can cost about $600-700. But you also get a million times more play value than any Titan we’ve ever gotten.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

"and then Jihaxus never got a retool"

>Vector Prime laughs at your inability to see the future.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Like others have said already, it's a premium line with a premium cost. If you're Diaclone curious and have around $80 to spend, I'd say take a look at something like this. Takara Diaclone Reboot Tactical Mover GARUDA VERSAULTER (Gyro Lifter Unit) Cosmo Marines Ver.

It's a great action figure that has little pathways into the different directions that Diaclone can go. And frankly, so long as you keep the packaging intact, almost everything can be resold for at least your purchase price, if not more, down the line.

• Like Like x 1
  10. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    Gotta love the timing of this episode.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought Battle Convoy when it came out and he’s still a centerpiece in my collection. But he’s definitely an Optimus Prime for me rather than a gateway into Diaclone.

I’ve looked around at some of the Triverse figures since they seem somewhat Powerdasher-inspired, but it doesn’t seem like you can get a set of three in their vintage colors. Also, I’ve passed on any Powered Convoy stuff until they decide to release one in vintage colors. I know you can build a Magna Convoy using multiple colorways, but nothing for the armor.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

I still believe someone in the design crew loves Starscreams more than any other character. I don't think others suffered for it but I've noticed since Siege Screamers get the extra touches that feels a hair decadent for the time.

Last edited: May 2, 2024
  13. Glxblrt

Glxblrt Well-Known Member

Yes for Aaron streaming stuff.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Riddler87

Riddler87 semi-retired transformers collector

Well after sending in a listener question last episode about how I didn't want Gears in my collection to this episode convincing me to get him. Well, I need to get a fork to eat some humble pie that I will happily eat.

Gears isn't the first figure that this podcast has talked me into buying and he probably won't be the last.

• Like Like x 1
  15. VictoryBot93

VictoryBot93 Well-Known Member

Got me curious about Diaclone, would be really interested to hear more about them!

16. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You'll be in luck as soon as the next episode is edited. Right @An Army of Bees ?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I thoroughly enjoy the Diaclone discussion, it’s something I’ve watched from the sidelines for a while as a “you do not have space for another toyline” interest. The stuff looks fantastic, and the engineering is next level, but it’s a pricey toe dip at $70-90 for the Tactical Movers. I can tell immediately that I wouldn’t be able to stop at one either.

I think you’ve probably got several people to try it though, based on how much BBTS sold out of just since this episode went up.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, even at "toe dip" levels it isn't inexpensive. But none of the stuff that I've handled has felt cheap. I think I'm going to bring a small selection to TFCon so that I can show off how smooth they are.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DaveWire

News Credits:
    @Aaron finally got a chance to sit down and listen all the way through the podcast. I’m super jealous that you got Battle Convoy. I was eyeing on Mandarake for a while but never pulled the trigger. It was the only listing for a while so I can’t help but wondering if you were the one who snatched it up.

Listening to your experience with the line (and the Diaclone thread on TFW) felt remarkably similar to my own. I hope Cloud Across arrived safely. That complete Giant Robot Base is a beast! Looking forward to the next episode to hear about any other Diaclone updates.

20. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It looks like a handful more DA-65's have shown back up again, so you're not out of luck yet! And CA is supposed to show up tomorrow, if UPS tracking it to be believed.

• Like Like x 1