WTF @ TFW - 633 - Rise of the Beasts - June 24 2023

Discussion in 'WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast' started by Vangelus, Aug 2, 2023.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WTF @ TFW - 633 - Rise of the Beasts - June 24 2023

633.png
    The producer life will run you raw when you're deep into the newest CANONICAL entry into the LONG-RUNNING TRANSFORMERS ONGOING MOVIE MEDIA FRANCHISE. Embrace the allure of the Spoiler Section with Vangelus, TJ and Aaron on this Rise of the Beasts-heavy episode of WTF@TFW!

NOTE: We collectively support the current actions being taken by SAG-AFTRA and the Writer's Guild.

---

You can find our hosts on Twitter over at @Vangelus, @aksmth, and @TJOmega!

This episode was edited and haunted by @AnArmyOfBees.

Both Vangelus and TJ have put up their own reviews over on their YouTube channels. You can check those out over here and here.

As usual, we are still raising money for Extra Life! You can find our team over at Extra Life | Change Kids' Health, Change the Future

---

TIMESTAMPS:
    [0:00:00] => [0:04:19] - Lorenzo di Boneventura Put The Movie on Streaming, Just For You!
    [0:04:19] => [0:07:26] - Non-Spoiler Talk
    [0:15:05] => [0:16:03] - WELCOME TO THE SPOILER SECTION.
    [0:16:03] => [0:21:30] - The Portrayal of Robits
    [0:21:30] => [0:48:59] - Mirage, Robot Suits and Durability
    [0:48:59] => [1:06:02] - Body Count, aka How To Mess With An Editor's Feelings
    [1:06:02] => [1:23:31] - Scourge and the Terrorcons
    [1:23:31] => [1:44:31] - Action Sequences, Effects, and Too Many Cooks
    [1:44:31] => [2:03:33] - Maximals and Humans
    [2:03:33] => [2:35:21] - Unicron, THAT Business Card, and the Futureeeee
    [2:35:21] => [2:38:17] - Wrap-Up

iTunes users - You can subscribe to and review the podcast here:
    iTunes Store

Zune (Memorial) user - You can still subscribe here, I think:
    zune://subscribe/?WTF@TFW=http://wtf.tfw2005.com/feed/podcast

The RSS feed can be found here, with a link to the show file:
    WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast - TFW2005.com

Or you can click below. But please subscribe to us, it's more professional that way!
    https://www.tfw2005.net/podcast/WTF_TFW2005_-_633_-_ROTB_-_June_24_2023.mp3

• Like Like x 2
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Slayershoop

Slayershoop Pitter Patter

Ebay:
    Mixing up Indycar and F1 physically pains me. On a more serious note, the CGI on The Powermaster armor reminded me a lot of those Tron Legacy figures that projected CGI Jeff Bridges into the helmet...and that\'s not a good thing. A very alright movie, still not Bumblebee good and I could feel it starting to drift back towards Bayverse in a bad way, but it was still a perfectly fine movie.

3. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Perfect listening to while baking to death in a tractor.

4. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I forgot about those Tron Legacy figures and you're dead on the money with the comparison.

5. Cosmoglide

Cosmoglide NA W4Y W3 60

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    This was a fun listen and I join you in hoping that Unicron plucks these 3 a-holes back into existence for the sequel. hopefully with some new friends.

I thought they explained why Elena hasn't left NYC, pretty well, with her boss clearly doing everything she can to make sure no one else realizes how sharp Elena is.

as for Noah, I'd assume we'll see him back as at least the human liaison between (groan) GI Joe and the Autobots.

Edit to add -

I like that they acknowledge the future/past aspect of the Maximals and then don't bog us down with exposition. In my ideal world, we'd get a trilogy of these characters to firmly establish this version of the universe and then maybe do a war movie. Perhaps one involving Beasts.

As for GI Joe, I'm one of the people groaning about this whole concept. Joe and Transformers are my primary fandoms, right now, and I have zero interest in seeing them be joined at the hip, narratively. I also have little hope for a great live action Joe movie ever happening.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
  6. Spyne98

Spyne98 Host of the Rock Nerd Radio Show

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really enjoyed this listen! I didn't look at the exosuit as also being a power master. Cool way to look at it!

7. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

If I had my druthers, I would've had Stratosphere acting like a medic. Could've shown him patching up Bee while the others hit the city. Actually don't even show it, just the lines he's patched Bee up, but without an energon infusion he's stuck in stasis lock .

Explicitly call out he's staying behind attempting to refine the energon to help Bee (couple line changes to stress they could, but it'll take time and they have plot things to do). Even have a bit were the energon's charged up and Stratosphere looks at Bee and whips out some tools. (Also would've had the artifact whisperer cause it on accident while messing with the console. They really wasted the reason the humans were there.)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
  8. InhumanElm

InhumanElm Beast Machines was pretty good IMO

Twitter:
    As soon as I saw the G.I.Joe card, I pictured those G.I.Joe PSA parodies and I imagined THAT was the G.I.Joe Noah was asked to join. I'm still cracking up at that thought

9. MegaDolrailer

MegaDolrailer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    About to listen to the episode, been waiting for this one!

Dont take this is me being negative, but im curious is there a reason why episodes are released much later after recording?

10. An Army of Bees

An Army of Bees WTF@TFW Podcast Editor Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes! The last few months I've been prepping for a personal major life event that may or may not have caused a five episode backlog. IYKYK.

The editing backlog was cleared out in the end of June/first week of July, but with there being five episodes to post a conscious decision was made to space them out a bit and not just bombard listeners with a ton of episodes over the course of a week. As it currently stands the only episode not uploaded is the July 2023/Pre-TFCon and SDCC episode, and my current goal with the next unrecorded episode (635) is to have it edited and tossed to The Powers That Be a few days after recording at the longest.

• Like Like x 1
  11. InhumanElm

InhumanElm Beast Machines was pretty good IMO

Twitter:
    Yo, shout out to @Secretcode for both smashing that backlog and adding some fun flourishs in this episode. All-star material!

• Like Like x 1
  12. sideswipe29

sideswipe29 Collect what makes you happy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I saw the movie twice and for my second screening there were two audience moments that still make me chuckle.

1) Sitting next to me were a mom and her roughly 6 year old son. The son was surprisingly bored throughout the entire film despite being the core demographic and I gathered that it was the mom who was genuinely more invested in seeing this movie - to the point where at the Bumblebee resurrection and jump out of the plane moment she let out an audible “yes” and turned to her son to try and encourage him that the poster boy of the franchise was alive and well.

Seeing that definitely made me question the decision to have Bumblebee have little to no part in this movie when he is still the main kid appeal character.

2) At the ending scene where the guy hands Noah the business card I hear someone in the row behind me whisper “Sector 7” and then when GI Joe was revealed I heard “wait what??”

Very amusing moments and I think kind of confirm that there was still a lot of behind the scene producer stuff that made this movie hard to digest for a general audience outside of the TF fandom.

Loved hearing you guys talk about it! Thanks for all your editing work @Secretcode!

• Like Like x 1
  13. MegaDolrailer

News Credits:
    No worries! thanks for your hard work!

14. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    The idea of the Maximals being time travelers never even occurred to me. I interpreted the whole "from your past, and your future" as them being descendants of Cybertronians that left during the war. With Primal being named after Optimus because...I guess one of his ancestors must have thought he was really cool or something

15. MegaDolrailer

News Credits:
    I'm 1000% with Vangelus on this one, the old producers mean spirited tropes should have been left with the Bay movies,

I hated how all the bad guys died, Battletrap gets his face smashed over and over and Optimus says a joke, Nightbird gets shot by Scourge then blowed up into pieces, and as Vangelus said, Scourge gets The Fallen'd
    It really felt like I was watching a fun summer movie then someone ruined it at the end, these aren't monsters of the week on a Tokusatsu, bad guys in Transformers usually get as much focus as the good guys,

Remember when Optimus being murderous and ripping heads off was such a foreign idea that it could only exist in Shattered Glass? now its reality lol

• Like Like x 1