WTF @ TFW - 554 - March 12 2019

Discussion in 'WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast' started by Vangelus, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WTF @ TFW - 554 - March 12 2019

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 11.21.14 PM.jpg

Literally right before early morning travel preparations while wrapped in the throes of tiredness, Vangelus and Aaron still decided to record a podcast shortly ahead of their TFcon LA adventure.

- Opening
    - Intro
    - Listener Question from Kamen Ranger Bat
    - MPM Stop-Motion and In-hand Reports
    - Listener Question from Destron Supreme
    - Listener Question from OptimusPhillip
    - Listener Question from Arufonsa
    - What We Got This Week
    - Ending and Outro

iTunes users - You can subscribe to and review the podcast here:
    iTunes Store

Zune user - You can still subscribe here, I think:
    zune://subscribe/?WTF@TFW=http://wtf.tfw2005.com/feed/podcast

The RSS feed can be found here, with a link to the show file:
    WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast - TFW2005.com

Or you can click below. But please subscribe to us, it's more professional that way!
    http://www.tfw2005.net/podcast/WTF_TFW2005_-_554_-_Mar_12_2019.mp3

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    God...megamorphs. Those things were absolute garbage.

And so was the comic

3. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Who needs sleep? Not me. Not at all.

Seriously though. I’d murder the lady next to me that kept pushing over into my seat for a good 20 minute doze.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    @Arufonsa I've been there recently. What really helped me was taking a step back, looking at the things I liked about transformers, and trying to find the things not unique to this brand in my other interests. It allowed me to really focus on the parts of the franchise I enjoy (ie characters and story, as well as cool engineering tricks), while discovering other interests I never would’ve found otherwise. I’ll always have a soft spot for transformers, as this community was there for me at a time when I really needed it, but it’s no longer the singular focus of my life. I try to stick with the periphery of a given fandom now, and talk to generally positive people, unfortunately a lot of times the most toxic people in any community are the ones that proport to enjoy it the most. It’s the point when people start transitioning from “fans” to “fanatics”

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    There is a Marvel crossover Ghost Rider Transformer, @Vangelus.

6. OptimusPhillip

OptimusPhillip Active Member

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I'll admit, I was kind of hoping to hear what TJ would've had to say in response to my question. Still, it was great as always to hear you guys' response (and seriously, someone make that DC crossover happen. The ideas were just so amazing!)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  7. weevil

weevil The Visitor

News Credits:
    Should they bring back marvel crossover because Marvel celebrate 80th anniversary.

8. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ayy! As to the fandom fatigue question, I think another part of it is the social circles involved in your fandom. If you still want to talk transformers and don't want to be with the people, hit me up on twitter or something. I like sharing pics and talking about the toys and media every now and then, but I'm not "on" about transformers all the time. And I like to think I'm not unpleasant to talk to/hang out with. I've been feeling the same way about... different forums on tfw2005 (or reddit), so would love to take those conversations elsewhere. I just don't know enough about social media to engage with people, I feel like I follow some good people and try to engage, but it feels like talking to a void sometimes.

Cameron Ehteshami (@Cehteshami) | Twitter

Or mastodon:

Explore Scramble City - Scramble City

But I also think it's totally ok to step back from what you're a fan of if you're not feeling it anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Spyne98

Spyne98 Host of the Rock Nerd Radio Show

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great episode! My childhood Decepticon team was Submaruder, Finback, Quake, an eraser Megatron, and some micro masters. It was interesting to say the least. Eventually I got g2 Tank Megatron, so he replaced eraser Tron, and I had action master Starscream. He always feel apart, just like the movie! ;) 
    I also remember getting a G1 Sandstorm at a yard sale and I thought he was Springer until I was like 10 years old.

10. RocketJMox

RocketJMox Active Member

One of the things that I really appreciate about @Vangelus 's take on fandom is how well-rounded and, well, human it is. This podcast, in general is a place I turn to when I want to hear people talking real about their collection -- not just the toys, but how they relate to the toys, to the specific behaviors that can drive it. The recent conversations about fandom fatigue and collection fatigue (or just needing to take a break) really hit home for me. I'm kind of OCD and can be rather manic about things. I started collecting about 4 years ago and burned through a lot of money and acquired quite a bit of plastic in the process. I'm now running out of room, need to slow down and refocus yet at the same time I'm booking TFCon Toronto. So I haven't hit fandom fatigue just yet while my collection will need to take a valium. ;-)

11. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was pretty refreshing to hear you guys acknowledge the reputation of TFW outside the site. It kinda started as fans whining that this place was full of the most vocal “Geewunner” crowd, but has since evolved to become the closest place to becoming co-opted by the internet fascists. I sincerely wish we could fix that, since I think there’s still a place for a good Transformers forum.

If the site can’t fix the fact that every thread on this site about comics and women turns into a shitshow of the exact type of people Vangelus is talking about (getting right to the edge of the rules, and provoking an ideological opponent into actually breaking them), then this forum will get taken over by the gomergote crowd.

• Like Like x 3
  12. That Guy

News Credits:
    It's interesting that you point out this is an external reputation. I didn't realize that. I've always found it a problem, but I figured no one paid attention to what tfw2005 was and we just had some jerks on the boards that we internally hoped we could get to leave people alone.

• Like Like x 1
  13. shamanking282

News Credits:
    There’s literally a tumblr page devoted to publishing bigoted tfw posts.

• Like Like x 1
  14. That Guy

News Credits:
    Oh I had no idea. I'm the best at using social media.

• Like Like x 1
  15. shamanking282

News Credits:
    Haha, it’s cool. I’m pretty sure my brain’s rotting from being Perpetually Online.

16. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I’m sure you could do that for any website though. Get enough people together and one of them is going to be an ass. Take all the instances of someone being an ass and highlight them? Now it looks like everyone there is an ass.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Cosmoglide

Cosmoglide NA W4Y W3 60

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Every time I start getting back into posting here, regularly, a thread will pop up about the comics or anything that invokes Windblade's name and I remember why I tend to not stay long. I mostly stick to the [INSERT LINE] Appreciation Threads because, frankly, it's a fun place to share my toy photos and talk about the lines, mostly drama free. Part of me wants to talk about and engage with the fandom, but other than the followers/followed that I have on Instagram, it seems pretty rare. Double that for Star Wars fandom over the last few years.