WTF @ TFW - 546 - January 16 2019

Discussion in 'WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast' started by Vangelus, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WTF @ TFW - 546 - January 16 2019

Stuffed-Mailbox-e1529629797594.jpg

A quartet of listener questions form the bulk of this engagement between the parties Aaron, TJ, and Vangelus.

- Opening
    - Intro
    - Listener Question from badlander86
    - Listener Question from TayWashi
    - Listener Question from Kamen Ranger Bat
    - Listener Question from Destron Supreme
    - What We Got This Week
    - Ending and Outro

iTunes users - You can subscribe to and review the podcast here:
    iTunes Store

Zune user - You can still subscribe here, I think:
    zune://subscribe/?WTF@TFW=http://wtf.tfw2005.com/feed/podcast

The RSS feed can be found here, with a link to the show file:
    WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast - TFW2005.com

Or you can click below. But please subscribe to us, it's more professional that way!
    http://www.tfw2005.net/podcast/WTF_TFW2005_-_546_-_Jan_16_2019.mp3

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh you guys...

You at least chuckled...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat Extraordinary League Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Handle):
    @Destron Supreme you can love that wfc soundwave as much as you want without enjoying others as well. My favorite figure is cybertron smokescreen. He's the most unrelated smokescreen homage ever, but the personality I gave him, as he's just a repaint, is why I love smokescreen of all versions so much. That smokescreen sits on my shelf as the definitive "me" shelf along with non-tf stuff.

@Vangelus thanks for reading my question. The answers I got from you guys did answer my question and also proved that I'm not crazy and alone. So thanks for that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aaron and Vangelus' discussion about objective v subjective is one I've been having with my friends recently. I think by definition,when you start saying "this feature is important to me vs this one" it's a subjective conversation. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that, some weird side effect of internet social media that I don't get is this obsession with "objectivity" in quotes because no one uses the term right. People ask for objective game reviews, or movie reviews, what can you say objectively besides, "the game runs when play it, you shoot with this button, etc..." I think understanding that our preferences are in fact very subjective and that our personal tastes shape a lot of our enjoyment in our hobbies is a good step in the right direction of understanding that not everyone will have our same subjective criteria for liking something.

Like say, those weirdos who collect $500+ statues, I don't understand them, but it makes them happy to have something that looks as majestic as possible (or something?) and that makes them happier than spending $20 on something they could fiddle with.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I built Galaxy Mega and Galaxy Delta last night, and can confirm there is no parts swapping. Both of them transform exactly how they're supposed to. You only remove one part from Galaxy Mega. The shield, which is supposed to come off. There's only one thing that partsforms on the whole set. You unplug Galaxy Mega's arms, and move them into pegs that are directly next to where they were. This is only for Super Galaxy Mega. It spreads out the arms on the back, to make room for the parts that go back there. I think it's the best Super Sentai set so far.

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    eeeeeee that is excellent to hear~

7. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

I have stated before, but I freaking love the bay era's knight Prime and Megatron. Megs was easy because every Megs was new, he's a cool dark knight to parallel Prime. But Optimus had none of the truck, G1 or otherwise and I still saw a good Optimus Prime.

I would actually love a Spreem version of Master Made's Apollo. It's all there. Large-ish head, hands, bulky form. Sigh

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  8. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh, so you guys know, my deranged deck beat Dinobots today, and it wasn't even close

9. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just wanted to comment on Destron Supreme's listener question. First off, I absolutely relate with War For Cybertron Soundwave - I was waiting for a modern Soundwave toy ever since I got back into the franchise in 2008, and that figure was the closest I could get. Very nice figure even now, especially since I modded mine to turn that front grill upside-down to make the robot mode look more like the game's design. The other options for a modern Soundwave were out of my price range and/or just didn't appeal to me - right now, Siege's toy is something I'm on the fence about but it might be the thing that finally replaces WFC.

And to also give my own example of this... I've always wanted a good Inferno. I owned the G2 toy as a kid, as one of the oldest toys I can remember forming memories with, so I find it difficult to really get 100% hooked on any modern take on him (namely the Universe release, and the POTP remold of Hot Spot) because it isn't quite close enough to the toy from my childhood. I may have to take a look into the third-party realm at this rate, haha

• Like Like x 1
  10. InhumanElm

InhumanElm Beast Machines was pretty good IMO

Twitter:
    I think the biggest consequences of social media is the polarization of opinions which is why I actually see the opposite of what you're describing.

Maybe it's the circles I run in but I more often see the phrase "Well, everything is subjective," and it just shuts down any conversation about the quality of a piece of art. It feels less like a positive reminder that everyone is allowed to like what they want and more like a weapon to shut down any critique against the thing someone likes.

Ultimately, I agree that when you say which thing is important to you in judging a piece of art (including toys) you're making a subjective statement. But those things that are important/unimportant are still objective qualities that can be commented on and evaluated. My fear (and I understand this is an extreme) is that looking at everything as subjective can lead to stagnation in creative mediums. We've seen this whenever DC drops a terrible movie and hide behind the defense "Well the fans like it." It's fine to like there stuff, but I feel like using that defense only discredits movies that were done well.

(BTW the irony of me saying all of this stemming from my opinion on the situation and what I value in a discussion about objectivity vs subjectivity is not lost on me)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Destron Supreme

Destron Supreme My Gee-Wun is the One with the Chins.

YouTube (Legacy):
    I’m not going to lie, I was somewhat worried that I was going to learn I was joining the “Trukk not Munky” group of this generation for a bit. It’s nice to know that so many people can relate and that it’s not just some cynicism on my part. But hey, maybe that perfect Inferno for you is right around the corner. Can’t have a Red Alert without an Inferno, eh Siege?

• Like Like x 1
  12. InhumanElm

Twitter:
    Doesn't want to be part of Trukk not Munky yet throws shade at Siege aka the NEW War for Cybertron line. I see how it is.

I'm just kidding. Actually, your question kind of broke my heart; I'm always struggling with this feeling of wanting something, buying it, and then forgetting about it shortly after in favor of the NEXT big toy. Hell, yesterday I stared at PotP Wreck-Gar for 10 minutes telling myself "You don't need this. You literally have two of this mold. Just go take one of them off the combiner and you will get just as much enjoyment." So when you ask if you're spoiled for liking the older Soundwave toy I'm like "My dude, you just said you're satisfied with a toy from 9 years ago. That is the exact OPPOSITE of being spoiled."

• Like Like x 1
  13. InhumanElm

Twitter:
    Actually, @Destron Supreme, I have a funny anecdote related to your question:
    Two coworkers of mine were talking about cats vs dogs as pets. One was making all these logical sounding arguments for why cats are superior pets. I think he was mostly doing it to be kind of a troll. But he poses the question "So why are dogs better?" and the other coworker sheepishly says "Because...I like MY dog." And I was like "That argument is more important than literally any "logical" reasoning you could come up with. At the end of the day the "superior pet" is going to be the one that brings you the most joy."

• Like Like x 2
  14. Destron Supreme

Destron Supreme My Gee-Wun is the One with the Chins.

YouTube (Legacy):
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving Siege. After I typed that, I realized I would love to see what a new Inferno could look like, especially after Sideswipe really made me want that new Red Alert just so I can have another copy of that mold. I’m still interested in looking at reviews for the new Soundwave, I just don’t feel like I need to update anymore. It’s nice to know that it’s not expected from me if I want to enjoy the hobby, I guess. And I’m loving hearing all of these stories about how people have been in similar boats.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sixshot666666

Sixshot666666 Ninja Consultant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    @TJOmega Gearing you talk about Figure rise and Minipla, thought I would show off my custom painted Dragon ball ones

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sixshot666666

Sixshot666666 Ninja Consultant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    818B28B3-55B5-4EBE-89FF-5B92AB431017.jpeg B1604178-B3A2-407F-B5D6-33B84D4E5BAB.jpeg 5224EFE3-FC5F-4B10-AF3E-F3EF79CD71E1.jpeg 210E82A0-A1B7-4A40-8D8D-8007905E73E2.jpeg
    Quick shots of my Minipla

• Like Like x 1