WTF @ TFW - 293 - February 28 2014

Discussion in 'WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast' started by Vangelus, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WTF @ TFW - 293 - February 28 2014

[​IMG]

It's time to two-twenty-eight a lifehack with Vangelus and Seth Buzzard.

00:00:00 - Opening
    00:00:46 - Intro
    00:04:33 - Creekside Audio shares Peter Cullen recording
    00:19:24 - The Titus Welliver Saga
    00:23:59 - Seth Talks Toy Fair and Trans4mers MAY BE SPOILERS IN HERE
    00:42:36 - New Pic Picks
    01:14:41 - Botcon 2014's Opening Guest Announcements
    01:21:34 - Listener Question from Gammatron64
    01:32:24 - Intermission
    01:36:40 - What We Got This Week
    02:08:18 - What Solo Hans We Got This Week
    02:41:53 - Ending and Outro

Want to leave an audio listener question outside of Youtube or Private Messages? Call our WTF Hotline! These questions may be answered in recordings outside of numbered episodes, but feel free to mention your preference if it really matters to you.

That number is...
    (318) 775-9830 or (318) 775-WTF0

iTunes users - You can subscribe to and review the podcast here:
    iTunes Store

Zune users - You can subscribe here:

zune://subscribe/?WTF@TFW=http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=404

The RSS feed which includes a media link for the m4a file is:

WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast - TFW2005.com

And if you want an MP3 version, it's linked below:
    http://www.tfw2005.net/podcast/WTF_TFW2005_-_293_-_February_28_2014.mp3

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  2. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    Re: Huff - the block hands were the original design - fans asked for the articulated ones.

3. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    finally, a new episode!

going to sleep now, but I can't wait to listen as soon as I wake up. :D 

4. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yes finally!

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Well I guess my attempts to know as little about plot of the movie was in vain... So thanks for letting me know all about the main antagonists origins.

6. cha

cha Active Member

Ebay:
    That was a pretty good "doooohjeeezus" there Seth. Ol' Billy Redface would be proud. GFY.

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Burr is one of my most favorite comics and podcasts.

8. KevinSig

KevinSig Well-Known Member

Twitter:
  9. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the intermission. Can't stand the Wyatt's but their music is cool.

10. cha

cha Active Member

Ebay:
    You should check out Tom Dustin. He's an up and coming boston comic. He came to my hometown recently and absolutely crushed it.

Here's a good clip if your interested.
    Working as a Server - Tom Dustin - YouTube

11. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for answering my question guys!

It is definitely a big question mark on how many units they could sell. If they say, only made 200-300 of a toy, it would likely command a huge price tag. It's kind of a balancing act. Sure, some people would love a G1 Devcon for their collection, but how many would want one for $500?

And yeah Seth, I was with you in that I thought it was really kind of nuts that the Quintessons were the major antagonists in season 3, but they didn't get any toys. We got Sharkticons, but nobody to boss them around. Impossible Toys did actually get around to making them, though.

I think if someone actually tackles this, the craziest possible endgame would be to make a reproduction of the unreleased G1 Unicron. I don't know if you would consider that a KO as it only exists in prototype form and people only have access to photos, so a "reproduction" would likely be an approximation rather than a 1/1 replica of the mold. It's huge, would likely be pricey, and is super niche. But it would be awesome to see it finally get made. I'm sure there's somebody out there who would want that.

[​IMG]

12. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Full Time Toy Designer

Seth, I have never seen Skids on shelves either... or that wave... but I asked around on this website's wanted page and found one within an hour new/loose for 16 shipped. Opportunity is out there!

13. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce A Chair!

I've got a question for Vangelus regarding the phrase "third party."
    Why do you dislike it? I'm not trying to start a debate on the matter, I'm just curious. It seems fine to me, if used as a descriptive for the multitude of companies that make original and unlicensed Transformers figures. As in "FansProject and Perfect Effect are two third party companies."
    Anyway I just wanted to hear the reasoning for your dislike of the term.

14. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I also find the dislike of the title "3rd party" odd.

15. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Third Party, as has become popular and largely accepted in the fandom vernacular is an incorrect use of the term. An actual Third Party would be a company that has obtained legal permission from/entered into an agreement with Hasbro/TakaraTomy to produce products based on their IP. Mimoco's USB drives, The Loyal Subjects' vinyl figures and the upcoming ridiculously expensive Ultimetal Optimus Prime are examples of true third party companies and products.

Fansproject, Perfect Effect, Mastermind Creations, et al are in the business of producing products without a license which infringe upon Hasbro/TakaraTomy IP. Thus, not actual factual third party.

...I think I have all that right, and I believe to be the source of the beef over the continued use of third party as has become standard.

16. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a couple things that kinda grated on me over the last year-ish. Big one would be the way that the term's becoming mutated to the point of people saying that stuff like Ultimetal Optimus Prime isn't third party product BECAUSE there's an actual license. Something becoming jargon for jargon's sake like "gestalt", where many people know the term because other people say it rather than its personal definition - that situation sometimes bugs me too.

Seeing it get contracted down to "3P" also chafes me, because that's an ugly-ass abbreviation along the same lines as CHUG. Sounds like a stock ticker label and further jargonizes stuff in a way that rubs me the wrong way.

Also the "third party scene" title has, over time, helped colour the way many people look at those companies in a manner that I feel contributes to the marketplace's aversion to original non-IP-infringing concepts. I think it's also contributed to the perception you see sometimes of a buyer who treats all of those companies as a single entity, rather than the multitude of separate entities that it actually is.

It's just becoming a muddier and dirtier phrasing to me, that I find I connotate to stuff that I feel holds back the growth of what could come from that scene, as well as the attitudes that have slowly put me off of a lot of the larger discussions about what those companies are working on.

In response to some reading between the lines that I feel this explanation may bring about - I don't think any less of a given person who uses the phrase. I still use it sometimes. It's Kleenex. It's Google. Sometimes it gets on my hackles more than another given time, but I'm not gonna yell at someone who's speaking roman in rome, you know?

17. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce A Chair!

EDIT- Never mind. Thanks for the explanation Vangelus!

18. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce A Chair!

Oh, I agree. That bugs me too. It's definitely an improper use of the term.
    "FansProject and Perfect Effect are two third party companies" would be fine, but "FansProject and Perfect Effect are two companies in the Third Party" is ridiculous.

This is actually a very interesting point, and I have to say I find the segments where you and others discuss third party companies and their potential futures to be some of the best segments on WTF@TFW these days. Everything else is still awesome, but I really enjoy it when you guys just break down that part of the fandom/industry and really get down to the finer points of it all.

My personal opinion? My collecting peaked with the 2007 movie line. I had full Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Classics, and Movie shelves. Animated was never my thing, and during that line's run I sort of scaled back significantly, pretty much opting out of the movie lines all together and just focusing on a "neo-Classics" (love that term by the way) shelf. It's been the extent of my collection since then, and as a collector I find it's pretty much all I need.
    So with that in mind the releases from third party companies that appeal to me are those ones that update G1 characters in a neo-Classics style.

As for original IP coming from these companies? I feel bad saying this, but it just doesn't click with me. I'm not into giant robots as a general rule, really just Transformers and Code Geass. So when FansProject unveiled Steel Core it didn't do anything for me. It's just that if a product doesn't draw on a connection to a franchise I'm invested in it won't move me enough to make a purchase. Like I said, I feel bad about that because I like some of these companies a lot. I just can't justify the high-ish price tags on products that don't appeal to me like the IP infringing stuff does. You're right. That legal hammer's coming down sooner or later. And I hope the companies I like are in a position to make a go at it with original IP. They're just going to have to do it without me, and that bums me out.

19. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's kinda like, I feel that as long as they're seen as a third-party production entity first and foremost, it's harder for them to evolve into (for a lack of a better term) a first-party production entity.

To the point of your own motivations - I feel like I've gotta say it and repeat it a little when I get going on the tangent of this scene as a whole, that a lot of my statements about buying habits are pointed at the market as an entity, not at the individual buyer. I totally have upset some people quite justifiably who perhaps took some of what I've been saying personally, and that's not at all what I hope to do. Putting it in perspective, if 8 people suddenly start buying anything that isn't a neo-Classic type piece, that's still a teeny dent in even the smaller niche market of these items.

While I do rail a little on some attitudes I see in the Third Party subforum, I can't get away with telling a person to buy outside of their spending preferences. We all got our own tastes as individuals. Speaking broadly, it's always better practice to share with and speak to the mass with the hope of spurring motion within enough of its components, rather than grabbing individual components of the mass and browbeating them with demands.

20. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Thanks for the explanation Vangelus.