WTF @ TFW - 238 - February 6 2013

Discussion in 'WTF @ TFW Transformers Podcast' started by Vangelus, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The patent office has to verify that there's no existing patent filed that would read on the claimed limitations (depends on how the applicant would word their claims if something out there would read on it).
    We also to an extent have to make sure that the invention being claimed is something that's feasible to be "created" by someone skilled in the art..

I don't know of the podcast patent application (I'd love to see it). But frankly I don't see how you could read over a radio show or a talk radio or something of the sort. So I can't see how someone could get a patent on that..
    On top of that, I can't see why someone would want a patent on that, as I couldn't see there being some kind of profit to be made off owning that patent since it'd be hard to enforce..

But stupid patents do get through, like the person whom owns the patent to swinging side to side on a swing set (instead of front to back).. Sure you've got it.. But.. Who are you going to sue to get money?

If the patent for podcast was just recently filed there's no way the person would get it since podcasts have been around for years now..
    If you got the application number, post it here.. I'd love to see what they're claiming.
    If you haven't guessed I'm an examiner, but I don't work with electronic medias and such.

2. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gah! I still need me a PCC Heavytread!

3. Demonss

News Credits:
    Also Omegus, Are those transformers 3d card game officially worse than Armada Hotshot?
    Time to update the plastic addict board??

4. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i really loved captain power im glad more than just i know him.

5. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Thanks. I'll try them out. I use DoggCatcher which is great for everything except the embedded images.

6. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

You guys wee talking about gold plastic and how the formula was changed. I agree that proto Starscream is likely the oldest figure with the new formula but legends Skorponok had the old formula ( I think ) on the tail stinger. Mine broke at the pin.

It's a small thing, but I believe the original plastic formula still exists and is used infrequently.

7. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    You guys should do these off topic intermissions more often. That was pretty enjoyable to listen.

8. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    My movie 1 protoform Starscream ended up succumbing to GPS. It broke in two places.

9. Macksimus

Macksimus Well-Known Member

Patent No. 8,112,504

It was filed in March 2009, granted February 2012, and claims priority back to 1996.

I worked at the the Patent Office up until last year. I've read the claims (particularly 31) of the present patent but haven't gone through the parent applications. At first glance looking at the claims it seems hard to believe it was granted, but if the examiner was relying only on patent documents as prior art to beat a 1996 date it would be more difficult. Only 4 non-patent literature documents are cited (by applicant!) and the scope of classes and subclasses searched was pretty narrow so I'm curious how thorough this search really was and if the examiners (assistant and primary) really realized what they were dealing with.

10. Demonss

News Credits:
    The big problem is the priority back to 1996, that very well could have been one of the factors that made a difference..
    Also the things that the media player needs to have is rather limiting and considering ipods came out in 2001 (and I never had an original ipod but I suspect didn't have internet access without something inbetween), it's not really far fetched why the examiner couldn't come up with art for those claims.
    I can't see how it could really be enforced given what's written.

11. Macksimus

Macksimus Well-Known Member

Completely agree. That 1996 date is what makes things difficult.

12. Squawktalk

Squawktalk Light cyclist

News Credits:
    I find your lack of toyfair podcast disturbing

Enjoyed this episode though

13. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce A Chair!

I think Jetfire was used as leader of the Autobots in that Dutch comic because of a trademark issue involving Optimus Prime's name. Some kitchenware company in the Netherlands had a trademark on the name "Optimus" for a line of theirs, so they were unable to sell Optimus Prime toys in that country. So for a few years Jetfire was presented as the Autobot leader to the Dutch public.