WTF is up with Xmas shows this year?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by NotFastEnuff, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Most Christmas specials are shown throughout December. I was kind of miffed last night when Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (1951) was shown at midnight. I love that movie but putting it on at midnight then making it longer with commercials every 5 minutes near the end is really pushing it.

2. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    LOL, Who and where are all these anti-Christmas people that so many people think are out there threatening Christmas? I constantly hear people crying that "they're trying to take Christmas away!" but I never see it actually happening. It's been like the new bugaboo for a few years now. I see Christmas specials and movies on TV (just watch Christmas Carol yesterday) and I see more Christmas decorations and merchandise in stores than ever. Do people just really want a boogeyman or something?

It's like people see one or two stories on the news or in the paper about someone somewhere trying to be uber-PC and then they blow it all out of proportion and think a New World Order is coming just because Holly Freshbreeze in Little Rock middle school told her second grade students to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.

Your Christmas is safe. Some people want to be more PC about it and there's nothing wrong with that because that's how THEY want it. Some people are out preaching about "putting the Christ back in Christmas" and that's OK because that's how they want it. There's room enough in the world for everyone's tastes and opinions.

3. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I'm not sure what channel it was on, but when I watched this yesterday it started at 12:00 noon.

4. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Well-Known Member

Hey people, we can count our blessings that the Star Wars Holiday Special is still off the air.

If George Lucas won't bother making money with it you know it has to be bad.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Im kind of glad they didnt show most of the classics, even though I do love The Christmas story. I think its time for new classics to be brought out for these new generations.

6. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    They do a 24 hour marathon of it on New Years eve on TNT. They've been doing it for years.

7. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Well-Known Member

Well, we could have Family Guy do a spoof of the story of Santa.

Having the elderly pedophile singing "If you sit on my lap today, a kiss a toy is the price you pay!" would go over well with the censors. :D 

Which also explains why there won't be many new classics.

8. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

This is the only one I look forward to every year.

"Everybody knows pterodactyls can't stand the screech of a guitar!"

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

FX is having a Robots (Robots the movie) marathon....since yesterday afternoon....i think this is the 5th time i've watched it now.

10. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

There was the world primere of the Shreck Christmas Special...

11. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I miss the 24 hour christmas party that Cartoon Network used to show.

12. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

what does this film have to do with christmas that it gets to have a marathon? haha

13. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

I don't know what's worse, a 24 hour marathon of "A Christmas Story" or the shows that were ariring yesterday on Christmas Eve.. "Die Hard" and "Goodfellas"... nothing like coming home to that after midnight mass...

14. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have cable, therefore my TV is useless for viewing television. However, if it's true what you say, about them not showing the specials, I would almost say it has to do with DVD and other retail media formats. Pretty much all the classics can be purchased on DVD, and that's how I see the ones I care about. This pretty much makes any classics accessible at any time for whenever you want and most likely with better quality. So, it's probably a strong reason far less people are clamoring for these things to be aired.

As for all the people talking about being PC with Christmas and such... I read stuff here and there on it, but never experienced anything first hand. Plus, everyone seems to be constantly shopping and keeping the best parking spots taken at stores, so how could they be home watching TV specials?

15. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't stand the Christmas Story, or the rediculous 24 hour marathon of it.