WST Shockwave...A Floppy Mess :(

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GAUGE, Oct 18, 2012.

1. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    Anybody know if WST Shockwave is supposed to be a tiny floppy mess? :( 

I bought him from a friend who needed cash for 15 bucks plus 5 for shipping last week. I just got him in the mail today.

Upon taking him out of the box I immediately noticed the floppiness of the arms. so I very VERY carefully transformed him to bot mode and that's when I noticed the huge amounts of floppiness. :( 

I mean he's so floppy I can barely BARELY get him to stand without his left leg retracting and making him fall sideways on his head. The spring under the piece the head is attached to sucks really bad, it keeps wanting to sink back into the torso, and his arms are just a mess of floppiness. if it wasn't for the black tube being positioned where it is in the photo, the arm would be looking rather stupid and swung out to the side like he's trying to hitch hike. :( 

[​IMG]

He's got an awesome gun mode though, and I love all the molded in details and the flip-up scope. but all the joints are just absolutely terrible. if it were not the fact I bought him from a friend and the fact it's my most favorite Decepticon, I'd have tossed it into the garbage.

I'd say the quality is about 99 cent store quality. it feels extremely knock-offish, especially when you can see all the gaps in the plastic and in his legs like they were put together from some sort of cheap model kit. (lesson learned. I'll be staying away from WST TF's from here on out.)

I can now see why my friend wanted to get rid of it lmao!

On a positive note though, at least I finally got to get him in my hands and fiddle with it. I'll be keeping it with my Bruticus add-on kits from Fansproject. and yup he'll be staying in gun mode.

But, I could really use some feedback on what to do to make this figure better. :/

2. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

Nail polish or Future on the joints/

3. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Par for the course, unfortunately. Since the WST line is essentially an unlicensed third party product (not affiliated with Hasbro or Takara in any official capacity), QC issues can be a factor. My WST Shockwave similarly has loose elbow joints and the neck spring is a touch finicky, but the leg joints are scarily tight so I have to be careful transforming him. I suppose you could try the krazy glue / clear nail polish / Future trick on the ball joints to tighten them up, but I would use them very very sparingly given the small scale involved.

4. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    I have no way of dismantling this little guy. he's so tiny, and the screws are super tiny. I might break it just by breathing on it. lol

5. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    The original WSTs were great figures, and excellent miniature representations of the original G1 toys. Those, if you're interested, you should get. Can't say the same for 3rd Party and KOs though, although I have the WST Grimlock by Justitoys, and that one was great :p 

6. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    My Shockwave is from Justitoys as well.

I don't have any of the dinobots so I can't compare them to Shockwave to see the differences in quality.

Though, I did at one time own the officially licensed WST G1 Megatron. he was not really floppy, but he was super fragile being all plastic with no diecast pieces.

7. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Justitoys WST Sixshot is A+ in terms of quality.

Sorry to hear this about WST Shockwave, though. I was seriously considering getting him.

8. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    He's also the Largest WST isn't he. I mean he's pretty much a basic or deluxe size right? so his quality will be obviously better. lol

9. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're right. He actually scales better with legends-sized figures. But with a stretch of the imagination, his size should just be right for WST since Sixshot is supposed to be around combiner-sized with respect to G1 deluxes.

10. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    A shame WST Shockwave isn't scaled with Legends; he's downright shrimpy compared to even Legends Bee! XD

11. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I have the gray shockwave and he's floppy too. Oddly enough, his arms aren't bad but his little ears are super loose.

12. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    Mine broke 2 mins outta the box.

13. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The JustiToys Shockwave has a reputation for looseness/floppiness from what I recall, though I don't know how many people actually had problems getting him to stand. Mine is floppy in the arms but can stand just fine.

Oh just an FYI but since the WST Shockwave is technically not a licensed product, this thread may get moved to the Third Party forum.

14. SlaveToLogic

SlaveToLogic Logic > Megatron

News Credits:
    Mine was pretty good, and still is.

Just had to fix the right shoulder with a little glue.

Though the head assembly came undone and a tiny shaft broke, but it still works just find for me.

15. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got the Blaster and right off the bat I bent an antennae on his head causing a stress mark and the handle got bent while trying to transform him. I won't stop with wst collecting but what a pain.

Incidentally the official ones aren't necessarily better. Case in point WST megs.

16. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Yeah, the shoulders are loose on mine, but I keep it in gun mode so it's not really an issue for me.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    My Shockwave is pretty loose too. I don't mess with the Dinos, Shocky or Sixshot much so it's not an issue for me.

Oh and Sixshot is maybe Legend sized. Definitely not scout or deluxe. Still bigger than the others so more solid for sure though.