Writers comming to botcon

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by transformers32, May 21, 2009.

1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'd love to see someone have the grapes to actually come out from behind the safety of their keyboard, go to Botcon or somesuch and ask something like that. Doubt it'll ever happen though.
    So go to Botcon and ask. You live in Cali, get a day pass and do it yourself.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    This. It's almost as pathetic as that guy who said he would get into a fist-fight at Botcon with anyone who disagreed with him on a thread.

*shales head*

Internet 'tough guys' ftl.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...Oh GOD, please link me to this dickhead. I'd LOVE to read that.

4. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fringe called. Same message.

5. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Mission Impossible 3 called and said "plz don't leave me out kthnx."

6. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On Transformers their job as writers is to service Bay. They're hired guns. Give him a script he likes and wants to shoot or they'll be replaced by someone who will.

On Star Trek they're Executive Producers, so they have more power and more say as to the story they're telling, and their job as writers is to service JJ Abrams, who makes a different kind of movie from Bay.

This is an oversimplification of the process, obviously, but it's largely accurate. And it is not meant to be a slight against Bay, who I love as a filmmaker - he just makes a very specific kind of film, and you either love it or hate it. He's a different kind of storyteller than Abrams, who I also love, and who has a little more "geek sensibility" than Bay, IMO.

7. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    The guests list this year is amazing.

And I was wondering. With yesterday's news of Shia LeBeauf (sp?), Megan Fox and Michael Bay attending the MTV Movie Awards on Sunday May 31st, we know they are in the general area (the award show is on Universal City), so what are the chances of any of those 3 attending the party at Paramount?

I think that'd be great.

-airfox

8. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    You also gotta keep in mind that most of that first movie was John Roger's shit.

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    I think part of it has to do with creating a franchise from scratch (while picking and choosing bits from previous incarnations of same concept) versus creating a virtual prequel for a very established storyline. make of that what you will.

10. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was actually thinking the same thing after I saw a commercial for the awards! This is shaping up to be a Botcon to remember...

11. AnnEEm

AnnEEm Neutral

Aw slaggit! Looks like EVERYONE is going to be at botcon this year. Sucks because I'm stuck all the way up in Canada and school is still going :mad 

12. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Me personally, if I had the opportunity I'd ask them in private. I don't believe in putting someone on the spot like that in front of hundreds of people. Especially about someones work, even if it's terrible. But you're right, it needs to be asked by someone.

13. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I'm not. I'm all the way over in New Jersey, and virutally penny-less. I feel your pain.

14. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

I hope to all that is holy that the fans will behave themselves in a seemly manner toward these gentlemen. I swear, if one "Bayformer-head" makes a scene or goes full-blown ****** on them, I may just quit the fandom.

I give these two major props for having the stones to be there, though, knowing that there is a vocal (yet small) contingent that doesn't like their interpretation of our toys. That's much more guts than most of the whiners on here could muster. (And you just know that some ardent movie-haters are still going to kiss their ass when they're faced to face with them.)

Anyway, beef up the security and HEAVILY moderate any panel discussions.

15. Jcanuc

Jcanuc Well-Known Member

It's the fact that they had more of a personal interest in Star Trek as "fans" themselves of that series. It is also a more established series with a (i beleive) bigger fan base. Plus Trek never suffered from the multiple resets that Transformers has, until now if I understand the plot - haven't seen the new trek movie yet. Also you could argue that Trek has always been a more adult series, where TF was always geared toward kids and toy sales.

Transformers I think fell through because the had less of a personal connection to the source material, and they are just not very good writers.
    I think a lot of people could have wrote the first film better.

Should never have been about a boy and his car, Should have been about a never ending war, a dying planet, and a search for hope. Almost half the first movie was wasted on human interaction that didn't need to be there, and could have been better spent developing the characters of the Transformers.
    G1 came with a built in plot about an energy crisis (relateable to all audiences) that could have been set up quick and easy, update the rest of the leaky plot points and add just enough human interaction to make it all flow. Was Pretty hard to screw up and yet they tossed the simplest, and IMO best plot for something else.

Personally I am going in expecting a story that wil be full of holes wasted plot points and missed opportunities for something better. I know the effects and action will be super and that's all I'm expecting.
    If they manage to pull this whole crazy plot for TF2 together then great (it does sound interesting, but a little bit ripped from other flicks).

16. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Indeed. I may be wrong, but wasn't it the case that by the time O&K came onto the project, the basic outline of the script was pretty much locked in? Bay beefed up the millitary tone, and Orci and Kurtzman enchanced what was already there, but a lot of what people say they didn't like was already written and fixed before these two came onto the project.

I'm very hyped to see TF2, because this time around Orci and Kurtzman got the chance to write a TF movie from scratch and, having seen and LOVED the new Star Trek movie, I know what these two are capable of.

17. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Everything you just wrote was your opinion and yours alone and is not shared by the vast majority of the fandom. But you wrote it as if it were fact and not just your personal uninformed guess.

18. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    Hahaha

That's all.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...?

20. Jcanuc

Jcanuc Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: 

Yes it is my opinion, and I'm not trying to state it as fact, sorry if it came off that way. You can disagree with it. Isn't that what makes this world so great.

Most of us here are expressing our individual opinions based on the facts as they are presented.

Don't get me wrong the first movie was really good, but I think it could have been better thats all.

From all the posts I've read here on tfw over the last 3+ years, It appears to me that the fandom has a wide array of opinions on what they liked disliked or prefered to have different. I would never be so bold as you to make a statement on the preferences of the "vast majority" since they are clearly very wide and varied. I'm as certain I'm not alone in my opinions as you are not in yours, and we might even agree on a few.

I'm not a Bay basher, he's done some great things to the franchise. But yes I'm a Gwuhner, and I though the energy crisis story that starts G1 has been the simplest and best reason for TF's coming to earth, or any other planet. The original plot was set up in under 10 minutes, and considering we are in an ongoing energy crisis of our own, it seemed a more relateable plot to a mass audience than the Allspark, again completely my opinion.

I was Uninformed on the part of the lack of knowledge of John Roger's involvement in the early script, but I personally am still not crazy about anything R&O have done in the past, not commenting on what I have not seen.

R&O, in the interviews I have read and seen seemed to express more of a personal interest in Trek than TF. My opinions of these 2 and their prior knowledge and connection to the fan base were based on these interviews (TF & Trek).
    Call that an "uninformed guess" if you like.

:2c: