Wow;I guess the grass is greener - BotCon 2005 related

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Shaun_C, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Don't have enough "Con experience to comment on the energy aspect.But I have a feeling that Hurricane Rita put some fear into potential BotCon attendees

Agreed on all 5 points NS1 :thumb 

Everything ran like a well oiled machine

1)Can't comment because I'm not familiar about the US' Hurricane season

2)True,but isn't that why Savage has Sinclair,Alverez and the Harmans;) 

3)Indifferent as my choice of career allows for time off whenever I please.So I've got not complaint

4)NS1 the idea of rotating the Cons is HONESTLY the best one I've heard since this nonsense started.Wish I thought of it

*EDIT*
    TT,I NEVER truly close doors on opportunities for fun.So you never know;) 

*EDIT 2*
    Still stand by my assertion that all this drama is WAY MORE damaging to TF fandom as a whole.Wouldn't be surprised if this drama contributed to BC '05's "Low attendence"

2. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:

Your welcome. :) 

3. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Ditto on that as well I love lookin at this thing :D 

Shaun- Don’t let those negative ninnys get you down man, it was awesome hanging out with you (hopefully Kyle and I didn’t scare you off too much) and I hope to see you next year and don’t let a few naysayers get you down all that matters is if YOU had a good time and know one else. I know I sure had a blast at Botcon and am defiantly going again next year (timetable permitting)

Speaking of timetables again I think this is the biggest issue I have with Savage and MC. Being a university student this attitude they seem to be taking really bugs me, no check that, pisses me off. Ya its a weekend ya I'm only missing 2 classes but honestly I would rather not have. Not only do I take my education VERY seriously but these guys seem to think its no big deal like I can drop everything at the drop of a hat, let me tell you not only do I have stuff like mid terms and such coming up but going down there really takes a lot out of you and takes you out of the groove. Now fortunately this year it did not effect school all that much as it was early enough that it didn’t effect my mid term and studding schedules but any later (I'm talking a week later) and I would not have been able to go. So if it does get pushed back into October then I hate to say this but I cant go and its as simple as that and I’m sure I’m not alone here. The attendance I think also reflects this as those of us who have been to a couple of these things noticed right off the bad that attendance was very down this year and I know scheduling was a factor. Yes there are more things I can bitch about but this was the biggest issue for me and overall I still had a great time, but I do feel this has to be addressed.

4. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I really can't blame FP for the convention timing. If the roles were reversed and our club & convention had been running smoothly for 10 years, then suddenly GI Joes club & convention implodes would many of you want our convention moved to accomidate the "new guys" because they want our "more convenient for them" spot? Unfortunately for us we are the "new guys" and it would be shortsighted of FP to inconvenience his customer base that's been loyal for 10 years to accomidate a group that's untested, whose convention has never made a profit...in fact the very entity he replaced went bankrupt, and after the fact have a very vocal segment...some of whom didn't even attend...bashing any effort he has made.
    Though personally I like the new timing. As a dad Botcon fell on Father's Day 3 times...and it's kind of hard to look a judge in the face and seriously explain that I wasn't going to have my son that weekend due to a toy convention (Custody rules prevent either parent from going out of state since my ex tried to take off with him once)

5. battlestarbase

battlestarbase aka: victor von deuchebag

comments

another positive people seem to have forgotten was the bullitin board for parts trading. i did both nights (fri and sat) made money , spent money , (got an misb 03 binaltech streak this way), made new friends . saw old friends. got a lot parts.
    this was the best hotel of all the botcons / cybercons/ otfcc cons to date. every room was a suite with fridge and microwave in it. also how can you beat free breakfast in the morning and free drinks in the evening?
    downside was the hour long shuttle ride from the airport. and the threat of a hurricane. also the time of the year was wrong. definately affected attendance. as a dealer i know.
    in my opinion if you can't go to have fun, why go at all?---battlestarbase

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Honest question to the fandom

On the subject of the timing

Let's say BotCon '04 was scheduled for September '04 instead of June '06.

Would you guys be anywhere NEAR as vehement with the Hartmans or would you be more polite?

And HONESTLY think about that before you post.Because if ANY part of you says "I'd probably tone it down/be more understanding" then there's your answer.

Because I HONESTLY feel some fandom members are being harsher because Brian is the new guy on the block

7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I think there's a fundamental flaw in your questioning here Shaun. See, Botcon 04 was all about the social aspect. It wasn't official and Hasbro wasn't there. Granted they did have guests, but really the feedback coming out of Botcon 04 was how much fun people had hanging out.

A lot of the people complaining about Botcon 05/06 are people who care mostly about the toys or what Hasbro unveiled or what the comic company had to reveal. They have little interest in the social aspects of the convention, which is why it's harder to sway them to go. I'd personally have had a great and worthwhile time at Botcon even if there had been no panels at all, but some people wouldn't.

So the problem is you're asking people who likely weren't that interested in Botcon 04 anyway to make an comparison to the current convention that they ARE interested in. See what I'm saying?

8. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just want to add: HUGE agreement with the student-side sentiment on the timing of the convention.

It's not so much that I want the Joe convention to be moved (though I dunno what the problem would be, so long as it's within the 3 main summer months), but that it bothers me that such a timeshare needs to happen in the first place. *shrug* I'd figured there would be a full-on seperate Transformers "team" for Botcon.

In any case, if the convention gets pushed back -any- later in the year than it already was this year, I simply won't be able to go, barring a miracle of timing. And I feel confident enough to say that a lot of other post-secondary students that aren't in its local area won't be able to make the trip, either.

I definitely would've given that a major "WTF?". Having a convention in the fall alienates most every student (post-secondary or otherwise) that doesn't have a vaguely flexible course schedule. Contrary to a notion I've heard, those of us who pay several hundred dollars for university courses -DO NOT- just cut class whenever we want. Had Pasadena been in late September, I'd probably be just as irked by the scheduling as I am now.

...eek. To add something positive, I do wanna re-affirm that I had a BLAST at Botcon '05, because you guys all rock. :D  And now I'll try to hack down my wall of lethargy and finish my Botcon review. *runs off*

9. Racer_J

Racer_J Member

Shaun_C I find it odd you don't want to go next year because of negative comments made within the fandom. Onyx Minor is a very good friend of mine and he will in all likelyhood be there next year should it be held in Texas again. If it isn't he won't be there because he's a teacher with a family. There's that pesky education argument again.

I'm probably the most vocal person complaint wise and the fact we're still good friends and that I'm not "harshing his buzz" so to speak and that fact that many of the people at The Allspark aren't either should show you that it really shouldn't be affecting you. If you're happy, by all means, be happy and give them your money. I'm not going to fault anyone for doing what they think is right.

Draven it's funny how you talk about people having rude attitudes and then for you to sit here and slam them over it. Pot calling the kettle and all that jazz. Like I said over at The Allspark there is no point in behaving like that from anyone. It gets everyone nowhere and just breeds bitterness and spite. We've got enough of that crap in the world as it is without adding anymore to it.

Fine, people are tired of hearing complaints. What's the point of saying so constantly? Fine people aren't agreeing, what's the point of saying that without adding something constructive? In short I see people doing the exact things they're complaining about "the other side" doing. It's pointless for any of this to get personal. It makes us all look like children. I seriously doubt complaints are outweighing praise because negative people are louder. I'm betting it's because there are more complaints. And making comments like the negative people went with the mindset of being negative means people aren't reading what people had to say. Sipher and Walky both went with high expectations yet afterwards they have both made complaints. Others have as well. People aren't being negative for the sake of being negative or just to complain. There are legtimate concerns and changes that need to be made. Just because you don't like them or agree with them dosen't negate them. And yes, that is a two way street so people thinking the prayer was a huge deal dosen't negate people thinking it wasn't.

That being said, negative people seem alot more tolerant of the postive people than the positive are to the negative. Negative people aren't chalking up people saying it's not a big deal to blind loyalty like positive people are chalking it up to being a big deal because people are being PC cybabies that just want to complain. Talk about a huge assumption and an insult to those honestly offended or taken aback. I see positive people saying things like they show respect and what not but then turning around and showing a total lack of it by throwing a fit and calling names and calling foul when it's done to them. It doesn't really matter whom did it first. Be an adult, shrug it off, and stand your ground and debate. That will say alot more than acting like you are here.

Please note when I say negative and positive it's not including everyone that has made a complaint or everyone that has said praise. Several people are acting correctly and the ones that aren''t know full well who they are. Gods how I hate long threads and posts lol.

10. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    An interesting theory. For the record, I've been following (and posting) on those Allspark threads with great interest. Yes, I've given a few criticisms (most of which I've given on TFW2005 already), and no, I didn't attend. I *did*, however, attend Botcon '04. Normally, I'd be commenting that, to me, it's *not* all about the social aspects of a convention, as I'm generally introverted and don't know very many people aside from online....

But the fact is that I *did* get to meet a few folks in person for the first time, and I rather did enjoy that. The non-official "toy" exclusive I got (Action Master G2 Breakdown) was more than enough to satisfy my desire for exclusives. And the convention was rather well-run all told.

As I will no doubt continue to criticize FP's apparent handling of the convention (mostly because they've shown little sign of listening to legitimate criticisms), I may have to keep this odd dichotomy in mind....

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    *thinks "screw this, there's no point", & deletes post*

12. Suspsy

Suspsy Member

Yeah, Draven, you "politely" told people to shut up. Poor, undeserving you.

13. Sage

Sage The ZetaConvoy

Wow. At least we're not getting personal. I think a major point should be readdressed here:

Politics have been overwhelming convention discussions since word got around about the 3H split.

Why? Because it's easy to point your finger at SOMEONE ELSE as they run things and YOU decide how much better it would be if YOU had control.

Well, you don't. So piss off. If you like going to the conventions and genuinely have a good time, THEN GO. If you're dreading the entire experience and preparing to verbally molest every single aspect of the con, STAY THE FUCK AT HOME.

Shaun_C, if you had a good time at Botcon '05 (and it sounds like you did), then don't let anyone else's opinions or bitchtacular bullshit weigh against you having a good time.

I had a balls-out fan-fucking-tastic time. I met some great people: Draven, Wildridimus Prime, Twin Twist (who really does suck - ask him about the crickets), and a few others who *gasp* don't post...

Fun was had.
    Toys were purchased.
    Panels were watched.
    Alcohol was consumed.
    Paper airplanes were launched.
    Foreign people were sent to airports.
    Sleep was non-existant.

And it was good.

"...but that's just my opinion. I could be wrong."

14. Monzo

Monzo Weirdest Fan Experience

News Credits:
    Since I asked the question to begin with, I feel compelled to respond to this.

My question about the Early Bird preview of the dealer room listed in the convention schedule was genuine. I read and re-read the official brochure trying to find some mention of what it was or how it differed from the dealer room Private Preview, and found nothing. I eventually just assumed the "Private Preview" was exactly that - that the pre-regs would only be allowed to look at what the dealers had set up in preparation for Saturday. I was quite surprised when we found out we could buy things on Friday - which still left me with the question of what the Early Bird option was supposed to entail.

I had no idea it was only available to walk-ins. Going over my memories of the brochure, there wasn't a walk-in specific section, which would have been the ideal place for an explanation of just what this option was.

No one I spoke to prior to the convention knew the difference between the Private Preview and the Early Bird option, either. Since the information wasn't in the brochure, it's quite possible that no walk-in knew it was available to them. Hypothetically, this means that no one took it... which doesn't really seem like good business to me, as it's a failure to advertise a source of revenue.

So, no. I meant no snark.

15. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Knock off anything personal between you guys. Like, now. Or I'll make all your posts look happy.

16. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Now Healthier And More Depressing!

News Credits:
    I didn't say they just wanted to complain, or that they weren't honestly offended. I said that if they WERE honestly offended or taken aback by something like saying grace, then they were PC crybabies, 'cause they are. It was meant to be an insult.

17. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You know what. I'm not going to have people going from here to the Allspark and then back in a flame fest. What goes on that Allspark should stay there. What happens here should stay here. I don't give a fuck what people are saying over there, noone else should either, and they shouldn't give a fuck what is being said over here.

If anyone has a problem with what is said at another board, then take it to the other board, don't bring that bullshit here. It's another headache I could do without. Bickering between yourselves, when not a single person is being remotely constructive is pointless. Noone's opinions are going to be change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.