Would you still collect if it wasn't for the internet.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ANDROID PRIME, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Classics are what got me back into TFs (most amazing toys ever) but without ebay and TFW2005 I would probably have a lot less then I do.

2. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

I would probably have moved on, most of the TF figures released domestically in the UK interest me very little, especially right now where there is naught but Movie figures on the shelves, I rely on sites like this to let me know whats out when and sites like HLJ to furnish me with the figures I want to collect.

Yours AK

3. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I was collecting long before the Internet :)  If it wasn't for the Internet (OK, it it wasn't for Ebay) there would still be a ton of toy shows to go to, and Toy Shop magazine for harder to find pieces.

4. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I've been collecting for a while, but TFW2K5 definitely fueled the fire for me. I had no idea there was a web site where you could find local listing for Tformer sightings a few years ago.

5. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    For the longest time, and technically still, music/guitar/bands took over my life so if it wasn't for a combination of TFW2005 and Classics I'm not sure I would've been reading anything toy related anymore or started collecting again. This site is like delicious toy crack though.

6. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Most probably not, i would've moved on to other stufs like reading comics & into music i.e metal, alternative, punk, hardcore & a little bit of dance music. but certainly not collect toys at all.

7. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    In adition to me previous post...I would likley get more work done though...:) 

8. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Tough call. I did buy Megatron in 96 or 97 without going to any TF sites. But Beast Wars just didn't hold my interest. I imagine seeing Optimus and Magnus in stores in 01 would've made me just as excited as seeing them for the first time at BBTS. Between that and the Commemoratives to come later, it's very likely I would've still been collecting. But I don't know for how long.

*sigh* tell me about it...

9. Chunkylover

Chunkylover Member

The Takara reissues with the Dreamwave art and then the Binaltech line were what got me excited about transformers again. Had it not been for BBTS I'd not have gotten back into collecting.

10. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know, I definitely use the internet to keep an eye on what's coming down the pike, but if anything the internet has reduced my "collecting" of TFs.

I've never really been much of a "collector" per se, but from the Beast Era probably all the way up through Energon, I would go out specifically looking for TFs. There would be that "blood in the water" urge to drive all over creation to procure the latest thing.

At that time, the internet was a tool in helping me get TFs. Most of my Alternators came from BBTS.

However, recently I've regressed to an almost childlike attitude towards getting TFs. I don't "hunt" anymore. I pretty much take myself to the store, like my mom did when I was a kid, and if I see anything I want, I just bug myself, like I did Mom, to get it.

Now, the internet is like my virtual TF stash. I mean, why hunt down and spend money on a toy I can pretty much see whenever I want by punching a few buttons? I missed out on Walmart's Big Daddy, but why go eBay to get it when I've already got Cyberton Downshift to fiddle with and I can see the Big Daddy deco from practically any angle I want online?

I don't display my figs or speculate in the secondary market, so I really just like see what's going with TFs at any given time.

And you see with your eyes, not your hands, right? :) 

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Yeah I'd still collect since I got back into collecting before really doing much online surfing on the topic, I'd just miss out on lots of cool info.

12. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    yes I would, as I did long before the internet.

13. Terrorcon0

Terrorcon0 Transformers Rock Star!!!

News Credits:
    I as well have been collecting way longer than the internet and have been collecting since the 80's!!!

14. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got into it because of the internet. I was bored in University labs so I surfed cool things from childhood. The more I read and watched the shows (also thanks to the internet) the more interested I became. I finally bought two Energon's and an early Alt or two but when Classics arrived I got them all. SO THANKYOU FOR SWITCHING ON TEH INTERNETS!!!!

15. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I have been collecting long before getting internet access, which was about '97 I think.

16. shortround

shortround Banned

no i wood not if the internet was made

17. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I probably wouldn't actively collect, because I probably wouldn't know about any new series. After RID ended, I probably wouldn't have bought any new tfs until the movie.

18. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Drifting around

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    If no internet i would probably a very or even a lower than basic transformers fan. I would not have most of the ones i have. Nothing i know about transformers and nothing else. IN fact i dont even think i would even have any transformers if it was not for the internet and sites like this.

19. GladiatorPrime

GladiatorPrime working on Rampage P2-V2

ya i probably would....i just wouldn't have as many as i have, and i wouldn't have any of the japanese tf's either.

20. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

I was buyin BW before I had the web, so I would still be in to them, but as said I would have know Idea what was comin down the pipe.
    I remember when BM hit I seen the show but no toys, for months, I had know Idea what was up.