Would you like to see a G1 re-interpretation in the same style as G.I. Joe Resolute?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by roy_flagg00, May 11, 2009.

?

Would you like to see a G1 re-interpretation in the same style as G.I. Joe Resolute?

1. Bring On the violence!

44 vote(s)
    77.2%
  2. No, movie/ animated is good enough for me.

5 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. I don't care one way or the other

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

This. Oh God, this.

An animated version of Megatron:Origin would be sublime as well.

Violence for it's own sake is silly...but what I see (and read) in much of the IDW-verse is just what I have been clamoring for all these years. If they could animate it (in a more refined style than Resolute please), I would be on it like a rabid bulldog on a porkchop.

2. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

to all:
    violence was a dumb way to phrase the poll.
    How about:
    "bring on the awesomness!"

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

No. I'd rather see something new than something going over old ground.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Normally, I'd agree with the above, but a "mature" (however you interpret that) revamp of G1 would be new, in its way, and I think most fans would be interested in something like this in animated form.

No matter how far Transformers goes, it will never, ever, ever get away from G1. Why fight it? :) 

zmog

5. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to say sure. Everything is G1 based anyway. Might as well just do it right and do G1. More mature themes would be great but they are transforming robots and if they "die" it doesn't mean as much as a Joe dying. Yeah, bring it on!

6. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

It doesn't matter to me if its G1 or not. I just want a mature take and nice visual style in the manner of Resolute. Soundwave does not have to be a tape deck. Megatron does not have to be a gun. Grimlock doesn't even have to be a Tyranosaurus Rex. I don't want Prowl as a Fairlady Z.

I'd like for the characters to retain some of their G1 personalities tho. I think since there is such a large pantheon of G1 characters, I'd prefer if they developed the existing characters rather than make completely new ones - ie Bulkhead. I like Bulkhead's character a lot. But they could just have called him Hoist or Brawn and kept his personality similar.

Personally, I like the style of storytelling of Coolhand in the TF Funnies section: Out of the Dead Land.

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I'd like to see a more mature version of Transformers, for sure, in the same style as GI Joe Resolute.

8. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

I completely agree. Also, I would love to see some of the bots user their special powers more. For instance, I never understood why skywarp was not used more in the comic or the cartoon. He can teleport for cybertron's sake! They could make new powers also for people who did not previously have them, and give a better explaination of why they have the powers in the first place.

9. Bonekrusher

Bonekrusher Member

News Credits:
    I'd like to see more guns, missiles, chaos, etc. in a TF cartoon but in an upbeat way, not violent or dark. Kind of cartoony violence with very few casualties, if that makes any sense.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, to clarify, when I say "G1", I don't necessarily mean a rigid interpretation, but rather that we're working with fundamentally the same cast as G1, and the characters stay true to their original personalities. To me G1 is the breadth of characters and scenario from the original TF line... not mass-shifting or the specific goofiness of the 80's cartoon. IDW's main line, for example, is still G1.

I agree with your above statements, absolutely.

zmog

11. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't necessarily like to see more violence as I would a deeper story, sleeker designs and more character deaths. I love the characters of G1 but the show was too episodic and had an extremely basic premise, compared to the storylines of modern TF series.

12. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Yes, this is what I want. G1 did create a very large cast of characters who, at the very least, had development potential. The IDW comics get to explore that a bit more (have all the TPBs on back-order, currently).

Furman's stuff does that exceptionally well. He took the basic character outlines and built on them in new and interesting directions. Slavish adherence is not required at all. Just reboot from each character's starting point and explore their basic personality in an innovative way.

I mean, let's be honest, there are no "one, true" interpretations of characters, even fan-favourites like Grimlock or Soundwave have multiple interpretations, each using a slightly different path from the original personality outline.

Shockwave in the G1 cartoon is not the same character as in the Marvel comics, exactly, but he is still recognizably Shockwave in basic design and personality. But he can be interpreted as a loyal, logical lieutenant to Megatron, meticulous and deliberate, or a cold , hateful machine, willing to utterly discard loyalty because logic dictates it.

Each version is memorable, each version "works". So long as we kickoff from the basic idea of "cold, logical, powerful, and out of the main action at first" each interpretation can be good in its own right.

After Animated, which was pitched young, I think, with the new movie coming up, it's a good time to switch focus to a slightly more mature exploration of the franchise.

- Coeloptera

13. jamspeed

jamspeed Follow me on Instagram _jamspeed_

Ebay:
    I finally got to see "Resolute" and was real impressed with it. If TFs did something similar I would be into it. There is a lot of potential here.

14. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Completely agree.

15. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

Dude, that would be great.

16. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    a serious TF series would be sweet, The only think that pissed me off about Gijoe Resolute was Stormshadow getting killed. but everything else was perfect.

17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Here's the thing: it's a war, and there's supposed to be violence. Kinda can't get away from that violence for the sake of violence thing.

Now, as I would LOVE to see a G1: Resolute thing, I'd have to agree with previous poster about the 1986 movie. That's pretty resolute.

Not to mention the live action film.

18. matrixprime

matrixprime Just a guy who likes toys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd be all for a resolute style remake of G1 if it was well written and the violence is justified. The Autobots and Decepticons themselves could be their universe/henkei representations and they could adapt infiltration/stormbringer/escalation story. However, death just doesn't seem to impact tf's that much unless the story has great characterization or its prime, so I hope we would get the equivalent of a tf red-shirt for the deaths

Of course Beast Machines was pretty dark itself and that was met with mixed reviews from the fandom.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  19. Neuco

Neuco Well-Known Member

Abso-frickin-lutely.

I was so mad/happy after watching Resolute. Mad becuase I'm not really that much of a GI Joe fan and was wondering why this couldn't be done for G1 Transformers, yet happy because it was so awesome. If they gave G1 the same treatment I would be all over that 100%.