Would you like a Unified TF line?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nelomaxwell, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell Till all are one

What I mean is a line where all the media put out for it told the same story? Games, Comics, Figures, shows? I know the UT had something like that, but I don't remember a game for it. Either way would you dig that idea?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    Ideally, yeah.

That's what Aligned wanted to be before it was ruined from within, and having a unified continuity that just utilizes the best from each existing series so far would hopefully begin the end of the stupid fandom tribalism.

But ideals are rarely practical or realistic.

• Like Like x 7
  3. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    In theory, it sounds like a neat concept. But I think it works better in theory than it would in execution.

I would use the current state of the Star Wars brand as evidence that it shouldn't happen. Ever since they decanonized the old EU, Lucasfilm has been insistent that every piece of new Star Wars media ties into the same canon. But that's already presented them with problems. Big filmmakers don't want to be beholden to every last thing written in a comic or some obscure kid's sticker book or something.

You end up with things like Finn and Poe being surprised at the existence of flying Stormtroopers, despite the fact that they had already encountered them in a comic.

You end up with stuff like High Republic existing just to (seemingly) keep the publishing division in their own contained bubble, where they can't step on the toes of the film and television divisions.

You end up with stuff like Darth Maul randomly popping up in a major motion picture after blatantly getting cut in half. The only way to understand why he's suddenly back is to watch a cartoon show. And if you do watch the cartoon shows, you realize his ultimate fate has already been spoiled in another cartoon because they can't help but tell these stories out-of-order, without giving any thought to properly setting things up and and paying them off.

See also the Transformers Aligned fiasco.

Every attempt at doing this tends to end the same way. There's a lack of overall coordination, storytellers don't want to play nicely with each other, and everyone ultimately ends up just stepping on each other's toes until someone just decides to hit the reset button. I would legitimately like to see it done well, with proper planning and groundwork. It would arguably be a greater storytelling feat than the MCU. But with so many storytellers with different artistic visions working on the same initiative, the odds against it actually being coherent are very small.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper And awaaaaaay we go!

News Credits:
    No. Alligned tried that and it crippled the franchise. Having different lines allows for people to enjoy different things. Siege is for the people who want mature shows. Cyberberse the Hardcore fans becaue of its use of older characters like rack n ruin and skybyte. And rescue bots acadmey for the children or people who just watch it.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell Till all are one

This always makes me want John Hickman writing TF. If anyone can do it, he can.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Depends on the execution. Theoretically I would love it. But practically I'm pretty sure it would suck. I'm glad we currently have the Transformers '84. Since the old IDW continuity ended, the comics were basically dead to me. And while I partially enjoyed some of the newer cartoons, I basically only enjoyed only the cartoons up until and including Transformers Animated (although Transformers Animated also marks the start of Transformers shows where I don't like the style). So theoretically I still like the majority of shows, but if this trend continues, in the future the shows I don't like will outweigh the ones I like.

I don't even necessarily even need a new continuity and new characters, I would just be very happy if old and beloved characters would have new adventures in old continuities (so as to not recycle plots we already saw and profiting from the vast continuties we already have).

I would love a show that consists of three parters that are all one-shots for various continuities. And supporting toys could also be then for various continuities (fitting the name Generations) and it could start comic mini series for each continuity. And the ones that sell best could be expanded upon. I would not mind reading more than one Transformers continuity. I would love to see Beast Wars, Animated, Armada, RID2001 as well.

Oh and imagine how cool it would be if suddenly you'd realize that events in all the different continuities would appear to lead to something similar and then BOOM multiversal crossover!

• Like Like x 4
  7. SpiraPhantom

SpiraPhantom Decepticon Propagandist

I know I would like that very much. An expansive connected world is such an exciting idea, like the old pre-Disney Star Wars. Background for about every single character to apprear in a major movie, now that's something I'd approve.
    I was truly excited when I first heard about the Aligned Universe, naively believing it to be the peak of Transformers. ...I was dissatisfied. The sum of its parts turned out to be way below the projected. The game duology stands nicely on its own, Prime is a fine, if flawed, show and I did enjoy RiD2015, it did bring me into the fold.
    ...but they just don't work interconnected. I can't really see the duology Megatron and Starscream to be the same ones from Prime. And there isn't even Knockout in RiD2015. Not to mention all the continuity errors resulting.

It appears that Hasbro are attempting a new experiment, what is that I hear about the Netflix show and new IDW comics being connected... but I think they chose a poor strategy, developing several medias AT THE SAME time, instead of telling a solid story first and expand its universe after. If it actually succeeds, I'll applaud. If it goes down burning, I told you.

So, as my favorite mad scientist said, "A nice dream. But dreams a meant to be broken."

• Like Like x 1
  8. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

NOPE.

This idea proved to be too limited to the point of sabotaging itself. Even G1 didin't do the exact same story for all of its versions. Nope. nope. Nopenopenope.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

The UT had nothing of the sort - the Dreamwave Comics had the same characters but told a completely different story.

Regardless, a unified narrative would be ideal for the sake of streamlining, but unfortunately Aligned forever stands as proof of it simply not being possible without making sure every single person working on it is in lock step with each other. Aligned was even described as simply being guidelines and we can thank the idiots who made the Prime cartoon for deciding they didn't want to do the jobs they were hired to do and thus basically threw the middle finger at any pretense of having other aspects of Aligned influence what they did in Prime, up to and including the Binder of Revelation.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Aligned only failed because they were terrible at actually being aligned. That doesn't mean the idea can't work.

The problem with aligned is that everyone was given a continuity bible but no one actually used it. They were given the freedom to do their own thing regardless of it actually fit within that continuity or not. You can't make a continuity work that way. That's not even a real continuity, that's just these are connected because we say they are even though the stories massively contradict each other.

The only way a unified continuity can actually work properly is if the different creative teams working on it all stick to the same script. They have to make each story follow what came before it because that's what a continuity is, a continuing story line that all takes place within the same universe. As soon as you have someone who wants to go in a different direction with a character, like making Grimlock a Decepticon when he never was then it's no longer the same continuity, it doesn't follow the same story line that had previously been established in that universe. You can't just say this in continuity in real life and expect people to see that. That's not how story telling works. The story itself has to actually be written that way.

Now some say that making strict continuity guide lines kills creativity because being restricted by it prevents writers from really doing anything new... but honestly... it's a CONTINUING story, the whole point is to keep doing new things. Your only real restriction is your own imagination. If you can't tell the story you want to tell without ignoring everything that came before it's probably not that great of a story in the first place.

That being said... some times starting over and retelling a story in you own way can be a good thing too but it's not a good thing when multiple stories that clearly aren't connected in any way are forced into the same continuity just because Hasbro said so. "Because I said so" is not a continuity. You can't take puzzle pieces from six different puzzles glue them together and call it a masterpiece. It's not something you can just command from behind the scenes. If the pieces are meant to fit together they'll naturally fit together without being forced. Only then can you really call it an aligned or unified continuity. Because the story itself will clearly convey that it is instead of a command from Hasbro telling everyone to squint really hard and pretend it works when it clearly doesn't.

Basically if Hasbro really wants an aligned continuity they need to have their different writing teams actually work on the same story. If there are six different teams working on six different stories you're going to end up with six different continuities not one aligned continuity. You can never have one continuity if your writing teams are working against each other rather than with each other. That just doesn't work that way. It never has, it never will. Everyone essentially threw continuity out the window and did their own thing. Which would of been fine if Hasbro wasn't trying to force them all together like a baby trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

A unified continuity can be a good thing if done the right way. That's just good story telling. But it's up the the writers telling the story to make that happen not some corporate executive.

• Like Like x 3
  11. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Yes. But that means putting ALL of your eggs into one basket. All of your media has to originate out of one singular house - and that hasn't happened since 1984 with Marvel at the helm.

Hasbro is too cheap. They want to outsource their comics, movies and cartoons to the lowest bidders and then insist they all work together. Not going to happen.

At this point, I think the only media house that would be able to pull that off would be Disney. But Hasbro dealing with Disney on Transformers would be like making a pact with the devil, considering how in bed they still are with Paramount.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would be nice to have a main consistent canon, even if we also have a few reboots along the way that tell their own story.
    It would a lot easier to get new fans into the franchise. I know some people I know irl cant get fully into it because there's just so many different canons that it becomes overwhelming.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Hahahahaha. Good one.

Making a new version of Transformers that merges the "best" aspects of G1 and the Bayverse, even if it were truly the best story EVAR, wouldn't magically end fandom tribalism. It would just create more tribalism between the people who prefer the new version and the old G1 and movieverse fans who hate the new thing for "polluting" their favorite version of Transformers with aspects of the other one.