Would you have prefered if the Ark transformed into a playset?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Before getting started, I want to mention, this is not to shit on anyone who likes the ark as it was just announced. What I am stating here is just my opinion, and nothing more. People like Transformers for different reasons, and I could see how the Ark brings something new to the table, that honestly I bet we'll see in the comic.

Having said that, for ME anyway the ARK is a bit of a let down. I feel like they made compromises in the Alt mode for the Bot mode. For me the Ark mode is everything. The bot, I simply don't know. So the Arc is what needed to be perfect. But it's hollow right in the wings, and the lines on it are killed to the point that something like that doesn't even look like it could fly. When I first saw it, I thought, I hope an add on set is created to fix this.

However, at the same time, I thought, okay, what would I have done with this set? It's a transformer, but who says this has to transform into a robot. For me, this would have been cool if this unfolded and transformed to the inside of the ship. With Repair bay, Teletraan, and even a sitting area. Pretty much a full blown playset. In this way, little compromise would be needed (in theory). In addition this would also have people seriously debating if they should buy one set or two sets, as both could work, and even be used as display pieces. If not transformable, it would have also done parts forming so that it could fit in a detolf or similar displays. Then the same could have been done for the Nemesis.

It's not what we got, but Hasbro has been giving us cool playsets in titans class, and this doesn't really fit a playset mentality at all. I can't help thinking it could have been an ultimate playset.

• Like Like x 14
  2. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I sure would have. People seem to like it, and that's great, but honestly it does nothing for me. It was never under serious consideration for me even before I saw it.

• Like Like x 5
  3. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

I guess the issue is that how the heck they didn't consider including some sort of base mode & add more ramps and rails, along with more 5mm pegs and holes. Like the DOTM take on the mold was nothing but a playset, but it at least provided something for the smaller toys to use as a base of operations. AND that was from a movie line. That's the really unfortunate part.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It would’ve been so much better as a playset. I feel like they could’ve improved the size and had it fit better with the main-size figures.

• Like Like x 4
  5. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    No, but it should have taken some visual inspiration from animated omega supreme.

I’m holding onto hope that he has a base mode, alongside his other two modes.

my real disappointment/frustration, though, is that there are no ramp connectors and there’s no 5mm ports for weapons and effect parts. It’s almost enough to make me consider passing on this guy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't have minded some playset functionality, but not at the expense of compromising what we're getting by too much. Titan class cities tend to be open air and mostly only functional for smaller figures beyond a Deluxe having a parking spot and getting to drive down a ramp or something. That's not what I want from an Ark base. And a full base playset resembling anything we saw in the cartoon and suitable for WfC Primes and Wheeljacks and SS Grimlocks with, like, walls and stuff, wasn't ever in the cards at this size class.

• Like Like x 3
  7. ophyjgjhnfn

ophyjgjhnfn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This should have been the Kenner Millennium Falcon of the line for Core class. It's what everyone expected. It's been in all the threads where the Ark was mentioned. All the non-combiners before have done it. That's the let down. I like the robot. It reminds me of Mata Nui and I might display it with Toa. The holes on the wings were lazy as they should have had panels that fold back in robot mode. Other toys have done it. I'm getting it. But the holes were lazy and not having some kind of real base mode connecting to all the other bases they've done for seven years is lazy.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Richard CC

Richard CC Active Member

I was under impression there would be some sort of play set feature after all it's there homebase, then again Teletram 1 is included and that would be why theres no other play set/base mode, I'm assuming Teletram 1 stores somewhere inside too right?

• Like Like x 1
  9. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Yeah. Then again, it's cool to see them doing original characters again.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

A play set would have been preferable.

• Like Like x 2
  11. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

"What is this, a [playset] for ants?"

A playset would've needed to be much larger, making it even pricier. I'm okay with the Ark turning into a Titan Class figure.

• Like Like x 4
  12. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    I love playsets, but I tend to display in robot mode for space considerations, so I'm happy with this having a robot mode.

I think as a playset it would have to be much bigger even for Core figures, or they'd have to make a new range of figures to fit.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Oh, I agree, I would have loved to see an animated Omega. I have Nostalgia for that show, and I am 43! For that, it would have made a lot of sense since he played a pivotal role.

YES YES AND YES!

Depends on how you are thinking of the playset and how it would work. If your thinking of it as the Millennium falcon, I agree. It'll be too small.

But the way I envision it, is completely transformable piece that for all intents and purposes is nothing more then a shell former that comes apart. So if the thing is 16 inches across, 24 inches long, then you end up with 2 16x24 panels that get flattened out. One makes for the back wall and the other makes for the floor. Then within the toy you also store teletran the repair base and whatever else. So there is literally no ship once transformed. It transforms into something like the iGear Teltraan set from years ago. Hopefully this description makes sense.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  14. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Right. Even as a big Mighty Maxx set, I think it would be too small for anything other than the new Core Class figures.

15. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I totally understand why people would want it as a playset, and the idea of a big Ark playset that folds out into a base for mainline size-class figures would be neat, no doubt.

But... I think I actually slightly prefer it being a robot, like we're getting. For a couple reasons:

-it's neat to get a figure of the Last Autobot; I know most people are more into the Ark ship aspect, but I think I'm more into the Last Autobot character aspect
    -it takes an idea that I REALLY liked from Animated (the Ark itself being an old, giant, deactivated Autobot) and finds a way to make it work for a G1-based line (in which Omega Supreme is already his own, more traditional self). It's a nice addition to the lore, fitting the "new spin on G1" aspect of Classics/Generations.

Again, that's not to say I wouldn't have been just as happy with an Ark that folded out into a playset... especially if it came with another figure or two, even beyond Teletraan-1, to "crew" it (that way a kid who bought ONLY this toy wouldn't be forced to buy other figures from the line to get the most out of it).

• Like Like x 2
  16. TFtrial

TFtrial Well-Known Member

Everyone has their preference. Mine would have been a play set like this

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  18. Fc203

Fc203 Jazz is a Pontiac not a Porsche

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    No, i rarely transform my baseformers into bases

• Like Like x 2
  19. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It’s an unfair question. You’re comparing a robot that we have seen against whatever we imagine the play set would like. I think the play set they would have delivered I probably wouldn’t have liked as much as the robot. Either way my main interest is the ship mode.

I think the people who are underwhelmed by the robot mode would have been underwhelmed by the base mode. None of the base modes for the other Titans have been any good IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is a playset...? It turns into teletran one.

Ya'll crazy. I'm loving the teletran mode. And I guarantee there are features that aren't shown yet.

• Like Like x 1