Would you guys want Disney to buy the Transformers property?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ezim93, Oct 30, 2012.

1. ezim93

ezim93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With Disney buying Lucasfilm it recently got me wondering what if they bought the Transformers licnese. Now before everyone starts crying heresy hear me out. Seeing as Disney owns Marvel, the Transformers could be folded back into Marvel comics. This could also lead to, dare I say it, a Transformers film directed by Joss Whedon. And now seeing as Disney owns Star Wars, all those crossover toys could lead to a legitimate story revolving around that. I know this is a pipe dream and all but just imagine the possibilities.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    No.

Transformers is a toy property first, entertainment comes after. Disney has no use for that and Transformers has lasted almost thirty years because of the toyline, not an ongoing fictional construct. I can't see that. Hasbro's not selling that.

3. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    No.

No no no.

No.

No!

NO!

No.

4. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    i would be happy :) 

5. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    While it would be interesting, Disney would probably be better of buying Hasbro than just getting TFs by its lonesome.

Also what is the obsession with Whedon directing TFs? While he's a good director, he made Avengers great because he cares for the characters! I don't think it's been mentioned anywhere that he's a TF fan.

6. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    This.

7. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    This is true. But I guess its because Michael Bay clearly lacks the care of the characters in his films, so people are desperate to find a director who does.
    I don't know if Joss Whedon cares right now, but I personally think he'd be more likely to put the effort into knowing the characters if he were approached about directing a TF film.

Then again, while The Avengers is absolutely amazing and nearly perfect, Joss Whedon also directed Alien: Resurrection, which, you know, SUCKED. And thats even with him being a big Alien fan!

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh, I don't have a major problem with Disney or anything, but I can't imagine them really wanting the TF intellectual property. Sure, the movies were big, but the Transformers franchise isn't on the level of Star Wars or Marvel in terms of public recognition or the value of the IP.

That may have to change, though. Sales of traditional toys, like TFs, have declined about 30% over the past decade and the rate of decline is accelerating (link). We may rapidly be approaching a point where, if Transformers as a franchise is to survive, the toys are going to have to become a secondary concern in favor of the 'entertainment' aspect (video games, TV, etc).

Because it's the internet and virtually everyone on the internet is in love with Joss Whedon for reasons that escape me. You could take any property, not just TFs, and there'd be a significant proportion of people on the internet who would want Joss Whedon to direct it, just because it's Joss Whedon and they love him like a fat kid loves pie.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  9. ISleepNow

ISleepNow Detrimental Robot

[​IMG]

10. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    I'm curious as to why people are reacting like this. Disney bought Marvel and that has done nothing but improve it.

11. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    :lol 

12. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    transforming ewoks

13. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    They need to reuse that Crossovers Yoda mold somehow.

14. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I honestly don't give a shit. A corporation is a corporation.

You thought long and hard about that choice didn't you...

15. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    Well, how hasn't it? Using Disney's funds we've been given hugely successful movies and the general awareness of Marvel and its characters is higher then ever.

Unless Disney has nothing to do with Marvel Studios, which I do not know, then yeah, I'd say they have improved Marvel a lot.

16. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    It could prove interesting, but in the end, I'd be indifferent to the matter, providing we'd still get figures/shows/comics/movies.

Though the thought of a Disney-Pixar Transformers film always makes me smile. :) 

What would lead you to this conclusion? Thinking that Whedon would direct a Transformers film because of Disney's involvement is, no offense, naive. Just because Disney would own the franchise doesn't mean that Whedon would jump on the project/suddenly be obligated to be involved. There'd be the same chance of Whedon suddenly directing it as there would be for Kenneth Branagh, Brad Bird, Gore Verbinski or Ron Clements to direct it. That is to say, the same chance as any. other. director. out there.

Just an FYI, Whedon didn't direct Alien: Resurrection. He was the writer.

17. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

I agree. Actually I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet...true, I know their major retail licensee at this point is Mattel, but then Disney did effectively sweep overall control of the Marvel license out of Hasbro's hands by buying Marvel to begin with - what's to stop them from just up and buying one of the "big two" of the toy world and save themselves the trouble of having to farm out the license?

In fact, I have to wonder how this deal's going to affect Hasbro's SW license after having held it for so many years...I haven't seen an article on the deal that really addresses this aspect of things.

18. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    What Disney has done with Marvel Studios has been minimal at best.

19. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

no no no no

20. ezim93

ezim93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This was just and idea I had. I know that this is most likely not going to happen. I just got a little over excited. The main reason I jumped to Joss Whedon was because he recently directed The Avengers and I personally think it would be cool if Transformers somehow got involved with the Marvel Cinematic universe. I didn't mean to anger so many people by this. I was just looking for a nice conversation to have with fellow fans.