Would the comics benefit from a new all female combiner?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Bass X0, Jan 16, 2015.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    You could also use female attendance at Botcon to claim fan percentages, which would be inaccurate as well. If my wife goes to Botcon with me this year, she's most assuredly NOT a fan but loves me enough to support my hobby/obsession. If it rains on Tuesday, you can't make the assumption that it always rains on Tuesday simply if it fits some ideal you hold. Same with any flimsy collection of numbers that fosters to your sociopolitical agenda.

For the record, the fact that you're flipping shit over people using logic against this survey goes a long way to making sure that nobody takes ANY of your rhetoric seriously. In short, you do yourself AND your cause injustice.

2. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Softy Crime Lord

News Credits:
    My Criminal Empire (Note: No Crime Allowed)
    ^I agree with what G1Prowl said.

3. Una

Una Well-Known Member

It is true that Facebook may only be a small piece of the Transformers fandom population. There are always going to be people who never participated nor even heard of it. I never heard of it and didn't get to vote. I don't have a Facebook. Does it mean it isn't accurate of the entire audience? Yes.

But... that doesn't mean it lacks value either.

It shows that there is a considerable female audience. There are females. We may be the minority, but that survey, if nothing else, proves that there are females who enjoyed this franchise. And even more proof is female fan artists and female writers. No one can't say that no female enjoys Transformers because that is incorrect. I'm female and I love Transformers.

So yes, I think an all-female combiner can add a lot to any story if the character(s) are handled properly. Yes, there is a benefit. New characters. New stories. More female characters instead of 1 or 2 like there almost always is.

4. johnbonhamatron

johnbonhamatron RIP

News Credits:
    The big question, that Split Lip touched on, is not over how big the sample size of the survey is (11.2 million is a bloody big sample size), but how representative the sample is.

That's where it runs into a problem, due to the very nature of the survey: the Generations figures I checked on Hasbro's site are all labelled as 8-and-up, while Facebook doesn't allow anyone under 13.

The survey, by its very nature, cannot take into account Hasbro's key marketing demographic, and since we're not likely to ever see Hasbro's market research figures ('cos I guarantee they'll be really very confidential indeed), the only logical thing to do is assume they know things, about the entire market for their toys, that we don't know.

All we can do is glean info from way they market the toyline, and the choices they make in terms of figures, so to me, the most logical assumption is that while the adult collector market may indeed be 40% female, the facts suggest that the market that matters, 8-13 year olds (and it will always be the market that matters more than us in terms of bottom line), doesn't have the same split.

So... since none of that has anything to do with the question in the first post :p  ... my answer is "only if it benefits the story being told"; s'the same reason I give for any story decision. ;) 

5. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

A female combiner is a good idea since it would compensate for the fembots being weaker than other Transformers loljk

6. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Why would it?
    It's good to have female bots. But the gender is not important. The story is.

7. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I was never on Facebook and never will be. And so should everyone.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    If gender's not important, then I guess we could just change every existing TF to female?

9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    That would be a drastic change. But it does not matter if there is a new female combiner, mixed combiner or all male combiner. What the combiner does and the importance of that to the story is the only thing that counts and in which we can measure if the new combinet will be important at all. It will certainly not be as important as windblade was. But I'm glad we got our females back. I bought two windblades. Hasbro and takara and also two arcees :) 

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't mind lesser known or liked characters have that happened to them. It worked for Dragstrip.

11. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and calm down a little. We're talking highly theoretical possible story lines possibly based on a poll where we don't even know what the options are going to be. Let's try and be a bit more civil, relaxed, and understanding of each others point of views here please.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    But you just said gender's not important? Unimportant things can't make drastic changes.

13. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Truth be told, in my own fanon, several of the characters ARE female that have been male historically, mainly...

...the Classics Mirage mold lends itself to this readily, I already consider Mirage to be female because of it. I think it's a fun experiment to look at all my Classics characters and see who all can be gender swapped with little to no effect on their overall personality history. Case in point, Bluestreak could be femme without changing anything at all. Ironhide just seems to gruff to be anything OTHER than male or genderless, but he doesn't give off any female clues at all.

14. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I consider Mirage easily being female. I mean like Whirl, Mirage gives a female vibe. I also suspect Mirage's holo is a female human.

15. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    I could easily see Mirage as a female but I was pretty surprised when it was revealed that Whirl saw himself as one (I was even more surprised when Cyclonus seemed that way too).

Another cool one would be Bumblebee, if I remember correctly he had a female hologram when he was first introduced in IDW.

16. ArmedonLSD

ArmedonLSD Well-Known Member

Starscream, more female than IDW Arcee

17. HereticalHeresy

HereticalHeresy Decepticon

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Because that's the thing that needs to be torn down. Can you logically explain what the error would be if there was a picture of a girl playing with a tank? What is the issue in that? While granted, I don't specically know a 10 year old girl who likes tanks, but I know quite a number who are interested in stuff marketted as "Boy stuff".

And why would Hasbro "never go for it"? If anything, it is something that could even boost sales. Show "Hey, Transformers doesn't just have to be for boys", and all they need to do is photograph a girl playing with a tank. Because so what? What does Gender Specific titled toys serve? Because logically, by getting rid of that, as I said, it has the potential to increase sales marketting, as it would make it okay to have a girl buy a robot, or a boy have a pony doll.

18. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

Exactly. No one is claiming the survey is 100% accurate or representative, but it is is a VERY large sample sample size take from a pool of around a third of the US population. Marketers and academics studying various social issues LOVE Facebook for things like this precisely because it gives sample sizes you just can't get from regular surveys.

The point is that going by literally the ONLY numbers we have women make up 41% of the fandom. It could be lower. It could also be higher. But those are the only numbers we have. You want to say they are wrong, come up with a better survey or shut up.

As for the Botcon example, that is in no way representative. It includes only people in a position to be able to attend due to any number of constraints whereas membership of the fandom is NOT constrained by anything other than interest. I'd love to go to Botcon but it is never going to happen. Even then there was still a very large contingent of women there and it would be interesting to see if the organisers kept track of the gender ratio of attendees the way some of the larger comic cons do. Most of those have a 40-50% gender ratio too, something which was denied for years.

19. ArmedonLSD

LEGO Friends - LEGO & Gender Part 1 - YouTube The LEGO Boys Club - Lego & Gender Part 1

The LEGO Boys Club - Lego & Gender Part 2 - YouTube The LEGO Boys Club - Lego & Gender Part 2

I found these very interesting concerning what your discussing, especially part 2. If you have them time I think there right up there with your opinions.

20. ArmedonLSD

My question concerning this survey is how do they determine if you're in the fandom? I do have a facebook, but i dont post anything about transformers on it. Does simply wearing an autobot shirt include you as a fan? It would be interesting to find out more details on how this was conducted.