Would selling a 3P Fort Max like a combiner... work?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by exomega255, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you trying to show us something?

2. motorthing

motorthing Carry on you Wayward Son

News Credits:
    Then why not think a little outside the box(es) literally and go nuts on a design that would also drive the purists totally bugshit by making each component a Bot like a real combiner. If it all assembled to make a proper Max no-one would have much to complain about in the "fun" department.

Still think it's the kind of exercise that would make any 3P outfit pucker-up like a snare-drum when considering the financial risk but 6 actual Bots building a Max would be less of a stretch than arm-follows-leg-follows- chest etc.......

3. lucas maximus

lucas maximus Need more Kain...

i think hybrid style had the right idea. if you pay attention to his post he says arms and torso as 1 section, waist and legs as another, and then the head. you include his smaller buddies in the two larger sections that would fold out into mini bases, and the head obviously has its own gimmick like pe's warden. sounds reasonable enough to me and then you're only in for three releases.

4. UNICRON-WMD

UNICRON-WMD SOUL MACHINE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Make it a few inches taller and wider then Gen Metroplex. Sell the upper torso and arms as a set for $250-$300. Sell the crotch and legs as another set for $25-$300.

That's $650-$750 total with the head. Any more then that, I'm out.

Also, until I see pics of the body, I'm not even buying Warden.

5. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd be interested in combiner with Fort Max as the Torso, Chromedome and Hardhead as legs, and Highbrow and Brainstorm as arms.

6. bwsilverbolt

bwsilverbolt Well-Known Member

I rather 3P companies stick with smaller releases and go quality over massive size. You combine 3P design/quality with Fort Max size and you are likely going to end up with a figure that will cost around a grand.

I know that I wouldn't buy a leg of Fort Max that turned into some vehicle or base for a legend sized figure. I'm sure that others would do the same, which would hurt some 3P companies since I'm sure they use profits from one figure to fund the next.

The problem is if you buy a part of this you are kind of in it for the long haul if you want to get the most of out of the figure. While that is true with any combiner, others can function just fine as a stand alone figure. For instance I got Uranos Falcon and doubt that I'll get the other four. The figure works just fine as a robot/jet. Any FM part would be a base/vehicle and a body part. Kind of similar to a Voltron lion, but the lions are far more iconic on there own.

The only way I think this could work is if you dialed back the size and made each part a triple changer. Robot, base/vehicle, body part.

7. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I wouldn't want to pay x3 shipping, and what if the company went bust after the first part. No. Not for me.
    Genesis has shown that a big figure can work, but honestly with the rise of the IDW characters I don't NEED a giant Fort Max. Honestly, I think he should be smaller than Metroplex and think Hasbro definitely got those two the wrong way round back in the day.

8. LazyAza

LazyAza Ehhhhh

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Yep I've been saying for ages this is exactly how a 3p company should budget and sell a FortMax. Don't see why their would be any issues with such a thing at all as the alternative is a 500-1000 dollar figure I simply can't afford to buy at such a price all at once.

It could be engineered to have the standard expected updates to his normal modes; robot and base and then being able to split down in to say four or five parts would add even more display options and play value. Would be utterly brilliant and very affordable at the same.

9. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

A city should definitely be bigger than a fort.

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I think they should just make repro parts to improve the original. New more articulate(possibly length extending) legs and a better set of hands along with the perfect effect head would change the dynamic of the figure a lot.

11. Joevette8

Joevette8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if it can turn into my coffee table then i might be interested

12. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

8 foot tall robot mode baby.

13. Terradives

I'd drop a grand or more only if it was properly sized. Throw in a command center room and a brig some defensive lines..... These 2 foot tall things? Blech.

14. darthsutius

darthsutius Minor Sith Lord

News Credits:
    A city bot is far less complicated than a combiner, even if Fort Max was twice the size of Hercules, he shouldn't be twice the price all up.

Cutting to the chase however, I would definitely be interested in a piecemeal 3P Fort Max. It would have to come with separate minibots with each section to add interest as others have said.

I might be childish, but I love setting up my Metroplex in base mode and populating him with smaller figures. The best fun I had as a kid was constructing huge interconnected Micromaster bases and having huge battles.

15. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Hmmm... could work if they could sell it as a series of figures with Fort Max parts as vehicles/accessories/bases. Eg:

Fastlane with left leg/tank
    Cloudraker with right arm/spaceship
    Punch with right leg/artillery platform
    Cog with left arm/battleship
    Cerebros with torso/battlestation

Each component would sell at $150 or so, for a total of $750. Pricey, but you get 5 deluxe-sized figures (ballpark value $250) and Fort Max himself.

16. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Make each section a play set with a smaller figure or two, give the body part a vehicle mode, base mode, as well as the ability to turn into Max's city and base mode parts as well as the robot mode part, and I reckon it could work.

It would need the vehicles to be different enough to make it interesting, and the Max base and vehicle would obviously look a little different (and a lot less like a robot lying down...) but as long as it retained enough of the classic visual cues it shouldn't be a problem.

The legs naturally lend themselves to being tanks anyway which would give you his leg guns, the arms could be shuttles a la the Star Trek shuttlecraft or Blue Midget, and the torso could be a cargo train or freighter. It would make buying a 5 or 6 hundred dollar monster of a figure a lot more palatable, and increase the play/display value exponentially.

17. Terradives

If you guys are planning on including a deluxe, they generally go for $65 from a third party. That only leaves $100 for the piece you're including. Max size figure included would be a basic and each piece would minimally cost $200, $300 would probably be getting to a decent size.....

18. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

If Perfect Effect or someone else could make the other pieces as poseable as Warden, I would jump on it.