would anyone else like a neo-knights comic book series !?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Achilles1943, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Achilles1943

Achilles1943 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just found out about this group of superheroes from the marvel united kingdom comic and I was wondering ... maybe this would be an awesome comic to do !?

I was also hoping it could continue from the 1984 comic instead of being a reboot ...

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/neo-knights

2. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Sure, why not? I'd read it.

3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Since it's from G1 Comic Continuity, gonna send it over to the TF COMIC DISCUSSION FORUM... :D 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Achilles1943

News Credits:
    something I found in the notes of transformers wiki ...

could this be related to the fact that he is a titan master in the current comics !?

the notes have tons of plot points for a neo-knights comic that was actually being planned that could hypotheticaly be reworked into this comic by taking out or rethiking the marvel parts

5. Achilles1943

News Credits:
    okay thanks !!! I wasn´t really sure where to put this ...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  6. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could see it working. The Neo-Knights would integrate pretty well overall into the new Hasbroverse, possibly humans mutated by Ore-13.

Circuit-Breaker, though, is owned by Marvel. But I'd love to see her brought back as an enemy of robot heroes like the Vision, Machine Man, etc.

7. BlueFlame

BlueFlame Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wish Marvel would get on the Circuit Breaker thing already. I mentioned her to the writer of Avengers AI back when that was a thing, and he seemed interested, but yeah that book got canceled.

8. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Given Marvel owns all these characters, I'd say no, it wouldn't work.

Also, Simon Furman, the creator of the Neo-Knights, once pitched a plan to Marvel to make a Neo-Knights spin-off in Marvel-616, but Marvel took a hard pass on it.

Now, the Neo-Knights as a stand alone, today? I guess, sure, it would work for a short time, but outside of getting some crazy-amazing character writing and story telling, it would be a tough sell long term. It would be novel to Transformers fans for a few issues, especially those who are big fans of Marvel, but I don't think it would sell well commercially to the rest of the comic book community because the characters are kind of flat AND there are no in-universe explanations for mutants in IDW (it worked for Marvel because the Transformers comic was an offshoot of the main Marvel universe, with Spider-Man and Nick Fury and the Savage Land included, so there was no need to explain mutants as they already existed, or were at least known of). Also, outside of Circuit Breaker, the Neo-Knights themselves aren't all that interesting. Again, with the exception of Circuit Breaker, they are all rather cheap knock-offs. You've got the psychic woman Rapture (aka Phoenix), and the heavy-hitting Thunderpunch (aka Colossus, the Thing, or Hulk), and the energy-converting Dynamo (whose powers are a straight copy of the Summers brothers or Gambit, with the exception of drawing a power source from Earth vice the sun and flight ability). We have all those characters in other forms. Why would we need another comic about them?

Also, given that Marvel owns both Circuit Breaker and she was the most well-developed and interesting member of the team, the Neo-Knights kind of fall apart. Great idea, but not really much to work with.

Now, if Marvel would sell Circuit Breaker and/or Death's Head, those are ideas you could really run with, especially with a post-AHM IDW-verse....

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I absolutely hated the Neo Knights. Their inclusion almost wrecks the climax of the Marvel comic. I like Transformers. I like super-heroes. I do NOT like super-heroes in my Transformers. Especially not when they're wasting pages being useless in a gigantic fight with Unicron.

And holy crap, the designs are horrible.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Putting aside that the characters are still owned by Marvel, the Neo Knights were pretty average second rate nineties team (well, early nineties... hardly enough angst and pouches to fully qualify). It would require some really good writing to turn them into anything "must-have" in the Hasbroverse.

11. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Roughly 27 years too late for one, if one were ever to happen.

12. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Circuit Breaker could be cool, but man the last thing I've ever been excited to see in a new TF comic is the Neo Knights. As it's own thing, maybe it could be cool? It's hard to figure how they as a super-hero team could stand out from super-teams like the Teen Titans, Fantastic Four, or the Justice League.

13. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Look what comic book legends has a story on. (also art from the unmade neo-knights book) Also turns out marvel does NOT have the rights to neo-knights! Hasbro has the rights! At least that's what cbr says. Marvel has circuit breaker and death head but the neo-knights are not owned by marvel. Strange as we heard other places say they do. So who owns them? Marvel or Hasbro?

Comic Legends: Did Marvel Almost Make the Transformers an X-Title?

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Neo Knights would totally stand out in that those other super-hero teams you listed all have at least one interesting member, while Neo Knights does not.

15. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could only find a few of the comics from the end of the Marvel series back in the 90s, and had to use my imagination to fill in the holes to most of the last 10 issues back then. I love X-Men, so I thought the Neo Knights were great, and really wondered what happened with their story.

After finally getting to read the whole series, I don't think the "mutant" characters really need to be explored further. I still think Circuit Breaker has lots of potential, though. I know she gets hated on a lot around here, but I still think she is a great character, and would like to see her in more Transformers stories if it was ever possible. She would have been a good Iron Man villain too. She really needs to have mechanical foes to fight, so that is one limitation of the character.

I like the G.B. Blackrock character too, if you count him as part of the team.

I guess I could picture a different approach to the Neo Knights working. Keep the character names, but ditch the mutant powers. Have them just be regular humans that G.B. Blackrock recruits for one reason or another to fight the Transformers. You could give them big mech suits or a small exo suit enhancement like Circuit Breaker. The suits could have the different powers.

16. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Yuck, absolutely NOT.

The worst part about the Furman run on the US series.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Easily the worst part. The Neo Knights read like Furman saw the writing on the wall about Transformers winding down, and he was trying to set up a next gig at Marvel US. They were a totally artificial shoehorned-in addition to the story.

18. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

They were pretty generic. Circuit Breaker was the only one with a real personality.