Would a Modern Generation 1 Cartoon work?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by PikaManiac, Oct 3, 2015.

1. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Would a Modern Generation 1 Cartoon work?

I understand that all modern Transformers cartoons are already re-imaging of the original, but would a definitive remake of the Generation 1 cartoon work?

A new series where the character designs are heavily inspired by the original series (think horny Bumblebee instead of skull-faced), and with major plot points taken and improved from the original series. The original series was heavily filled with what we now called filler episodes, this series would do away with most of the filler episodes and instead put heavy emphasis on the major plot points.

For example, Season 1 could heavily focus on major plots like Fire in the Sky, S.O.S. Dinobots, and Heavy Metal War making them multiple episodes and crossing story lines all leading to the The Ultimate Doom plot where Jetfire gets redemption, Devastator fights Omega Supreme, and the Dinobots finally agreeing to help the Autobots in 1 big finale.

Season 2 could focus on the creation of the Combiners leading to a Combiner Wars, and including major plot point like the The Key to Vector Sigma, and leading to the construction of the Autobot City.

Think of a modern Generation 1 universe like the IDW Transformers Comics but more accurate to the original, and more audience friendly with seemingly easy to understand plot lines that are actually quite deep like the Prime series. It could potentially span 5 or more seasons ending with a fledged out version of The Rebirth, and also including side mini-story lines like Beast Wars, and Beast Machines (perhaps a time travel story to those eras where the Autobots meets the Maximal crew and learns about their heroic deeds?). It should also include modern updates like Drift, and Cybertron actually being Primus.

Of course, with this they can also make Generations the main toy line, and release toys of the characters by the Seasons instead of the current random releases all over the place.

I look at modern cartoons like the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003, The Batman, Wolverine and the X-Men, and they really feel like proper modern interpretations of classic characters we know and love. The Transformers cartoons like Animated and Prime never struck me as modern interpretations, but more of like a what if that happens in another universe and another story altogether.

2. UltraGalvatron1

UltraGalvatron1 General Kenobi, you are a bold one.

The way you describe it I think it would work, but it would (like Prime) be aimed to teenagers and adults rather then kids

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's funny you think Prime was not aimed at kids. It's even funnier you think it was aimed at adults. I always get a good chuckle when I see someone type that.

4. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

Maybe if it had a classics style line and had a Neo-G1 setting like IDW or Dreamwave. But a straight up remake of the '80s toon? Nah, son.

5. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Well the game makers seem to think so with War for Cybertron and Devestation.

Dreamwave and Idw both based their comics on G1 and look how successful More than meets the eye is. The Classics UK books are highlighting how good the Marvel UK stuff was 3 decades later.

HasTak have been churning out the Chug line for the best part of a decade which they wouldn't do if it wasn't profitable.

As long as it's well written and acted of course it would do. G1 had the best aesthetic and the first baymovie would have been better without the giant cube and just portrayed the Cons as they had been originally as giant robotic supremacists bent on conquest and devouring the natural resources of each planet they encounter.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well, since most of the American-made Transformers shows have more or less been variations of a theme for G1, the right question, to my mind, is not would it work, but how would would it work.

7. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First you get Lauren Faust, who knows how to handle an ensemble cast & do some maximum world building with minimum effort. :) 

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Keep going, seriously I want you to expand on that.

9. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

I think G1 could pretty easily be re-imagined for the current era. The difference would be that the vehicle modes would be based off of more modern looking vehicles (like the classics line), which would make some people rage out.
    I always thought they should do what DC does and make animated straight to video movies for adults. I know that all of us G1 fanboys want everyone to love what we love, but I think we would be better off with a line of media that was actually made for our demo.
    Combiner Wars sounds kinda close to what I have been hoping for so far. As long as it doesn't end up being one of those dumb "web comic" style animations.

It was certainly aimed at an older demographic than Animated/Rescue Bots (see what I did there). Just citing what happened to Cliffjumper alone (murdered, raised as a zombie, cut in half (still animated), then left for dead) is enough to assume it was not intended for young children.

10. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

This is very ambitious, but I am thinking along the lines of a modern Generation 1 with elements taken from all aspects of Transformers. Each Season would last 26 episodes, and would look something like this:

Season 1: Focuses on More than Meets the Eye, Fire in the Sky, S.O.S. Dinobots, Heavy Metal War plots, and includes the Fall of Cybertron plot to introduce Omega Supreme and Shockwave, and leading to The Ultimate Doom finale.

Featured Film War for Cybertron: A prequel film after the first season using the War for Cybertron plot.

Season 2 Combiner Wars: Focuses on The Key to Vector Sigma, Starscream's Brigade, and a story line to introduce Utra Magnus' and the Autobot City origins and how and why he was appointed City Commander. Optimus Prime and Jetfire are upgraded to combine as a reference to Armada and the Revenge of the Fallen.

Featured Film Drift: An intermediate film that introduces Drift, and the Wreckers. A new story about Drift's struggle to change sides, and how Cybertron was taken over by the Decepticons.

Season 3 Unicron Wars: The Movie plot with a twist. Focuses on the Battle of Autobot City leading to Megatron and his Decepticons being upgraded to the Galvatron and crew by Unicron, and Starscream's Ghost. Starscream is revived to his Armada body, and the Autobots learn that Primus is Cybertron itself.

Featured Film The Fallen: A film about Primus, Unicron, and the original 13 Transformers, and The Fallen's betrayal.

Season 4 Titan Wars: Focuses on the Return of Optimus Prime and The Rebirth. Optimus Prime is revived, and upgraded into Powermaster Optimus Prime. He leads the new Autobot Titan Masters against Scorponok's Decepticon Titan Masters. Also, a tease of Jhiaxus in the season finale.

Featured Film Generation 2: Optimus Prime in his new Laser Optimus Prime body must lead the Autobots against Jhiaxus and his Decepticons and lead the Transformers into a new Golden Age. The Transformers are spotting their Generation 2 decorations in this film.

Direct to Video Films:

Beast Wars
    Beast Wars: Code of Hero
    Beast Wars: Nemesis
    Marvel Crossover: A new crossover story involving Death's Head and the Avengers (with Spider-Man and Wolverine of course!).

Of course, this will never happen in my lifetime...

11. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

I would watch, purchase the toys, and Blurays of all of that.

Honestly a cartoon featuring the main cast (Earth bound) and straight to video films about cybertron (wreckers, shockwave etc.) would be pretty awesome.
    I also like the idea of Beast Wars getting some love.

12. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, Hasbro Studios should defininitely hire you!

13. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, the original G1 cartoon CERTAINLY had enough going on in terms of "world building," continuity awesomeness that it could OBVIOUSLY be translated into a more modern, less absurdly ridiculous cartoon series.

Keep the connective tissue and trim a LOT of fat and we're talking PURE GOLD, man.

Tie-in the animated movie from '86, borrow the best of the best of the G1 comics, throw in some Beast Wars/Beast Machines and a dash of the G2 comics and there's really no reason it couldn't go on almost forever.

14. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Idealistic answer: yes
    Realistic answer: no

It's like how any system works in theory but then idiots and monsters fuck it up. Probably the closest we'll ever see to a reworked G1 was Animated. And even that had morons at Cartoon Network working against it, morons at Paramount trying to bulldoze it, and morons at Hasbro bungling the release date before bailing out altogether halfway through the 2nd season.

15. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    A straight up G1 wouldn't work. That's what the G2 cartoon was.
    I'd like something like IDW, but diverging at a certain point, so that the two have the same background, but go their different ways while still having the feeling of IDW.

16. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    From the way you've proposed I could see it working that way.

......... But I don't know :confused: 

17. Decepticons

Decepticons B∆K. Bug-a-Boo Ghost.

News Credits:
    I definitely wouldn't mind seeing something like Dreamwave aesthically speaking with different story lines woven into the mix. God, those comics had some fantastic art. An exact rehashing of G1, however, wouldn't work well.

18. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd have to think about it. I was thinking of who I'd have as the core writing team and realized that outside of a couple people, I don't actually know many of the TF writers.

Animation Style- With TF: Devastation, we're seeing how that classic G1 look can be captured, and it would help keep all the characters and faction symbols on model. If cost weren't an issue, I'd say do this.

19. PANTSMAN1973

PANTSMAN1973 Well-Known Member

Yes. It would.....................totally.

20. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I would love a modern G1 but right now I want them to make home video aninated films based on concepts from Dreamwave & IDW. I also really want an anime influenced & styled modern G1, so either way lets pray.